Search for content in message boards

(Joseph) Octave Chartier

(Joseph) Octave Chartier

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 3:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chartier, Fortin
is my great grandfather but I am having conflicting information about his parents. My great-grandfather grew up in La Broquerie born Jun 16, 1901. Some census records show two different sets of parents: Wilfred Chartier/Celanire Fortin or Alfred Chartier/Celanie Fortin. If any one has info please post. He had two sisters Rosana and Aurore.

Re: (Joseph) Octave Chartier

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 5:00PM GMT
From my records Joseph Octave Chartier is the son of Alfred Chartier and Celanire Fortin. This is based upon Manitoba marriage records. However, in an article written about Pierre and his family, her name is spelled Celina Fortin. His name is spelled Alfred. Alfred and Wilfred are names that are interchanged and/or census takers misspell the name based upon what they heard. Where did you see Wilfred? Pierre and Adeline moved from Nashua, NH in the late 1870's.

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: Chartier, Fortin
I got Wilfred from the 1906 Census records and his wife was Celanie and had two children Octave and Rosana but it said he immigrated from Europe and that there was a difference of I think 3 years between wife and husband. See my I never knew my great-grandfather's real name was Joseph as we always knew him as Octave. I'm having the hardest time finding information regarding Octave's father family history but I have been able to trace Celanire Fortin's family back to the 1600's.

Posted: 21 Oct 2009 7:09PM GMT
Ancestry.com for the 1906 census has the named indexed as Alfard Chartier, but on the census record, it looks like Alfred to me. The 1916 census has his name indexed as Wilfred Chartier which is the way it is spelled on the census page. I believe all of the other census records have the name spelled as Alfred; including 1881, 1891, and 1901. Alfred was not born in Europe. The EU in the 1906 census is an abbrevation for the French word for the United States; Etat-Unis. All of the above censuses have Alfred being born in the U.S. except for the 1901 census which has him being born in Quebec.
If you contact me at vlchartier@ieee.org, I can e-mail you the article written about this family and I can also send you pages back to Jean (John Carter) Chartier who is the patriarch of this Chartier family. John Carter was an English boy living in Deerfield, Mass who was taken to Quebec by French soldiers and their Indian allies after they were finished raiding Deerfield in 1704.

Posted: 26 Oct 2010 4:00AM GMT
Surnames: Chartier, Godu,
Hi. I saw your post on Ancestry.ca. I am also working on my family tree and Alfred is on my database. You asked about Alfred Chartier married to Celinire Fortin and the uncertainty of Alfred or Wilfred. I remember my father speaking of his uncle Alfred. My grandfather was Charles Chartier married to Marie Gauthier. Charles was the son of Pierre Chartier and Genevieve Godu.

I'd love to hear from you to see if there are more connections we can help each other with.

Posted: 31 Aug 2011 5:05AM GMT
Surnames: Chartier
I am also researching my family tree. I have some info on your great grandfather. Email me a emchartier@shaw.ca. YOu may have some info I am looking for as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic