Search for content in message boards

Gard, Garde

Gard, Garde

Posted: 13 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Feb 2005 12:47PM GMT
Surnames: GARD, GARDE, QUINLAN, HALLORAN, HASLEM
What town or area did the Surname GARD/ GARDE come from in Ireland. Looking for information how 3 brothers came to Australia from Ireland. William GARD born 1816, John GARD born 1819, Thomas GARD born 1823. Can't find their names on any shipping records. Can't find any record of convicts?
Can someone give some ideas where to search for information

Convicts

Posted: 5 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Feb 2005 12:47PM GMT
Surnames: QUINLAN
QUINLAN Looking for PARENTS, BROTHERS OR SISTERS OF of John QUINLAN born Dublin (convict)came to Australia. Married Ann Halloran - died 1870.
What countries did his family move to.
9 Children
Youngest
Mary Ann QUINLAN born 1854. Maitland Australia
(my ancestor)
Any information would be helpful.
Thanks Mary

Gards from Cork, Ireland.

Posted: 21 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2005 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Gard
I know someone who is following a Irish Gard line involving some brothers who migrated to NSW.

Re: Gard, Garde

Posted: 12 Sep 2001 8:54PM GMT
Edited: 20 Oct 2001 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: Gard/Garde
My Gard/Garde's came to Prince Edward Island, Canada from Padstow, Minster, Cornwal England. The extreme south western point of England. South of Bude. They were shipbuilders in England and Canada. Mine were part of the Hugeonots from the Gard Valley in So of France who came to England (became Protestant) and my GGFather was born in Canada in 1950=He was a John Gard. You can find some info on the PEI site about the Gard's. Some of the people have put a very interesting book out about the Gard's and many of them still live around Lot 11 on the Island, a lot of them came away to Boston but I don't know of any that went to Australia, I don't know why they would have been on a convict ship. Roger Gard came across to USA (York,Maine) in the 1500's on the Pied Cow, he was the Mayor of York and a very influencial man for those days, I think the ship came over about 1535. Check the ships list for that year or 1635. The name John comes up often in that surname.(was spelled Guard=at one time)

Re: Gards from Cork, Ireland.

Clarrie Green (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2001 9:57AM GMT
Surnames: Gard Garde
Can you put us in touch with this person, Jarad? I'm Mary's sister

Re: Gard, Garde

Posted: 25 Mar 2002 12:11PM GMT
Your reference to the Garde coming to Australia as convicts is incorrect little do you know not only was it convicts coming to Australia. John Gard/Garde/De La Gard depending which document you read was in fact a Master Mariner who paid passage for him and his wife Ann Edith Morton to come to Australia, why ??? God knows. He was born in Weybridge Surrey 1806 married Ann Morton born 1812 in Rochester Kent in 1836 the same year they left for Australia. So there were other people other than convicts coming to our great Country.

Re: Gard, Garde or Geard

Posted: 12 Jan 2009 8:10PM GMT
Surnames: Gard, Garde Geard Tillygarde or de la Garde
My family original name de la Garde come from France after a Pierre de la Garde was executed for treason , 1550/60 had three sons Nicholas, Henry and I think John and settled in England.
Not sure what happened then but the family settled in Middlesex . In 1819 there was a crime and a Charles Garde was convicted and sent to Australia.
convicted 27 Oct 1819 for seven Years. Arrived on the vessel Earl St Vincent. The story goes that some of the family changed the name all in differant ways, some Gaurd, Garde,Geard and some even Tillygarde. My Aunts say that a murder was done, and a lot of problems came about for the family. In my search I see we have so many ancetors it will be impossible to follow the line from the beginning, if anyone can help that would be great, My family settled in Oldham or Greater Manchester sometime around 1830.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions