Search for content in message boards

Church of Christ/Disciples of Christ in New Castle in 1892

Church of Christ/Disciples of Christ in New Castle in 1892

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 12:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
My great-grandfather's second son was born in New Castle in Feb 1892. My great-grandfather was Samuel Lawson Green, usually appearing in records as S. L. Green or Lawson Green. He was a preacher from Cocke County, Tn. He was Church of Christ while in Tennessee and Texas before going to Virginia, but Disciples of Christ when he got to Athena, Oregon, by Feb 1897.
Are there any Church of Christ or Disciples of Christ churches in New Castle that existed in 1892? I'd like to find information on Lawson while he was in New Castle and get an idea of when he was there.
Thanks in advance.
Bruce Price
JiaBuSi@aol.com

Re: Church of Christ/Disciples of Christ in New Castle in 1892

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 8:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Elmore, Britts
Here's some info I have on this church. It's written about Andrew Jackson (Andy) Elmore. Hope it helps.

Andy apparently begain his ministry in the Baptist church, but was converted to the "Campbellites" (later the Disciples of Christ) around 1840. In 1844 he was minister to the Disciples congregation at New Castle. In 1858 the Disciples were ejected from the building they had shared with the Presbyterian church and in 1861 still had no regular place of worship. But in 1860, a church had been established at Mt. View, a few miles from New Casgle. Andy and his brother-in-law, Samuel Britts, were among the founders of this church.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions