Search for content in message boards

Alexander McCracken,Lisburn,d.1730

Alexander McCracken,Lisburn,d.1730

Linde Lunney (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm writing a short biography of Alexander McCracken, a Presbyterian minister in Lisburn, who died 1730; does anyone have any information about his family? I know it has been suggested that he was related to Henry Joy McCracken; is there any proof? Looking forward to hearing about him. Linde Lunney

Re: Alexander McCracken,Lisburn,d.1730

Posted: 25 Jun 2001 3:51AM GMT
While I don't have the answer to your question I know someone who might. Professor McCracken, a descendant of Henry Joy is, I believe , a Department Head in a Soth African University, possibly Cape Town. He has written a book about the Irish in South Africa and available through the Ulster Historical Foundation in Belfast (12 College Square East). They also have a web site. I'm sure they could tell you how to contact him. Most likely he has worked out the genealogy of his family.

Guy (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 2001 9:35PM GMT
Alexander McCracken b:1690-1695 of Galloway, Scotland had a son Alexander?

B4N,
Guy

Posted: 28 Nov 2001 10:30AM GMT
Hello Guy, thanks for your reply. I don't know: I have no information about a link to Galloway, but it could well be. I know that there are McCrackens early on in co. Derry, in Ireland. I know of one in the late 17th c. called Wollock mcCracken, but I don't know if there is any connection to the rev. Alexander.

Guy (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2002 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: McCracken
Alexander McCracken had a son of the same name that went to the Americas. Looking for documentation?

Posted: 25 Feb 2002 9:15AM GMT
I don't know much about McCracken's family; there was another rev. Alexander McCracken, 1673-1743, minister of Badoney, who could be a son of the rev. Alexander McC. of Lisburn; the younger Alexander, did not, as far as I know, go to America, because he had a son Hugh who succeeded his father as minister in Badoney, Tyrone; it is possible that Alexander of Lisburn was a son or a brother of a Hugh mcCracken, because the Synod of the church said that charitable donations for a Hugh McCracken could be sent to Alexander of Lisburn. That's as much as I have on the connections

Guy (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2002 2:40PM GMT
Thanks Linde, but I'll have to look the location ref. for I don't have a clue?

Guy

Posted: 12 Aug 2004 4:54AM GMT
Surnames: McCRACKEN, MARSHALL
Looking for information on the parents & other ancestors of Alexander McCracken (b.c. 1746 County Tyrone or County Armagh, Ireland - d. 9-9-1851 Ohio) married c. 1782 Margaret Marshall (b.c. 1763 Ireland - d. 6-29-1827 Ohio) came to America around 1783. Margaret was the daughter of Henry Marshall of Derrycantone (sp?) in Caledon, County Tyrone, Ireland.
Alexander & Margaret absconded from County Tyrone in the night. After crossing the Blackwater at or close by Caledon they rode on horseback around by the bridge and crossed over and went to his father’s house, rested there until morning, then got out license from Monaghan and was married by the first Presbyterian minister who had ever preached or been placed there. His name was Queen or Quinn.

Posted: 4 Jan 2007 5:14AM GMT
Surnames: McCracken
Alexander and Henry Joy McCracken.
Ann, Francis Joy's youngest child by his first wife was still a child when her mother died. The family moved to Randalstown in 1745 when her father remarried. Ann stayed in Belfast to keep house for her unmarried siblings. When she was in her early twentys she opened a milliner's shop in High St. Soon she met and married sea captain John McCracken who was a widower and ten years her senior. Generations before, the McCrackens settled at Hillhall, near Lisburn after being driven from Scotland by Claverhouse when the Covenanters were cruelly persecuted. It is likely that the family was related to the Rev. Alexander McCracken who was a Presbyterian minister in Lisburn 1688-1730. His strong views against the Oath of Abjuration forced him to flee the country and eventually he went to prison. Captain John McCracken had been brought up in the Covenanting tradition and was a man of great integrity. He and his wife bought a house in High Street next to Henry Joy and adjacent to the wharf where his ship docked. He was captured bye the French. Living with them it seems was Captain McCracken's mother whose daughter was Mary Ann McCracken,sister of the maryred Henry Joy McCracken.
As far as I know there are no records proving that the Rev. Alexander McCracken was related to the other Lisburn McCrackens but the liklihood is very high. In 1713 he was arrested without warrant by Mr Westerna Waring, High Sheriff of Down, who wa then sunk in debt and later expelled from the Irish House of Commons. McCracken was fined 500 pounds and sentenced to six month's imprisonment. He kepr refusing to take the Oath recognising the Church of England as the supreme faith and was kept in jain until George I was two years on the throne. At the same time R.C. priests who refused the oath were unmolested and the doors of Presbyterian churches nailed up. I have read that Henry Joy McCracken was of Huguenot origin but I have not found any evidence that the Rev. Alexander McCracken was.

Posted: 8 Jun 2013 3:16PM GMT
I sure would be interested to see your final biography OP...

I am trying to connect my McCRACKEN line to Adam and/or Alexander McCRACKEN who were early settlers in Lawrence/Mercer/Allegheny County. My ancestor Margaret McCRACKEN b ca 1818 m CARPENTER (can't recall which at the moment), and obituaries of this couple and their children reference that they are of the early McCRACKEN settlers. I have been reading until my eyes cross to try to find clues, and Alexander McCRACKEN who married Mary LARIMER seems to be a likely ancestor, but I am having difficulty finding info on him at the moment. His family comes from Antrim (is that also where Adam is from? I will have to review my notes...). Rev Alexander McCRACKEN is from Lisburn, Antrim - originally Scotland as the others.

I found in one of the letters written by Rev. Alexander McCRACKEN of Lisburn a reference to "my wife." Has anyone discovered a family for this Rev Alexander McCRACKEN?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions