Search for content in message boards

Library of Congress Photos - Aroostook farms

Library of Congress Photos - Aroostook farms

Posted: 13 Aug 2003 2:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Aug 2003 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: Gagnon, Dumond, Dube, Levesque
This may be old news to some, but the Library of Congress has an amazing online collection of old photos from the depression years 1935-1945, and many hundreds of these photos are from Aroostook County. The photos were taken by the Farm Security Administration, so they focus mostly on potato farmers in northern Aroostook, especially Lille, Caribou, Fort Kent, Van Buren etc.

Surnames of interest that I saw among the photos were Gagnon, Dumond, Dube, Levesque, although there were more than that. Anyone with a family history in northern Aroostook might find some photos of interest. Many of the people in the photos are not identified (other than a "poor potato farmer in Maine"), so it's best to do a search for the town you are interested in.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsahtml/fahome.html

More names in photos: Daigle, Dufour, Gagnon, Dumond

Posted: 13 Aug 2003 2:34AM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2003 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: Daigle, Dufour, Gagnon, Dumond, Jendreau, Escovitz, Vermit, Brown, Levesque, Labbee, Cunningham, Dube
Anyone with any connection to Edward DAIGLE, Belonie DUFOUR, Leonard or Albert GAGNON of Fort Kent, or Patrick DUMOND of Lille will find some amazing family photos in the Library of Congress collection.

Other names: Jendreau, Escovitz, Vermit, Brown, Levesque, Labbee, Cunningham, Dube.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsaquery.html

Re: Library of Congress Photos - Aroostook farms

Nicholas Hawes (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2003 1:51PM GMT
Many (if not all) of the photographs mentioned in the above posting appear to come from a series of photographs made in 1940 and in 1942-1943 by Jack Delano and John Collier Jr. The two photographers were working on assignment from the Farm Security Administration and the U.S. Office of War Information to document farming practices and farm life in Aroostook County, notably among F.S.A. client farmers and potato growers in the Saint John Valley. (They also documented the State Experimental Farm in Presque Isle, the first international potato barrel rolling contest, wartime Memorial Day ceremonies, a Congregational church service, and scenes along US Route 1.)

Many of these photographs appear in a book by historian C. Stewart Doty: "Acadian Hard Times: The Farm Security Administration in Maine's St. John Valley, 1940-1943" (Orono: University of Maine Press, 1991). A revised edition containing many more identifications of individuals appearing in the photographs was released in 1996. People interested in identifying individuals may find that the Doty book is easier to use than the website. (Certainly, the caption information is much more complete, particularly in the revised edition.)

Further information on this collection and on related collections can be obtained from the finding aid prepared by Acadian Archives staff.

Nicholas Hawes
Assistant Director
Acadian Archives / Archives acadiennes
University of Maine at Fort Kent
acadian@maine.edu

Re: More names in photos: Daigle, Dufour, Gagnon, Dumond

Posted: 12 Oct 2007 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: Dufour, cunningham, coughlin,
Hello, i am not a paid member, my email is onelasttime777@yahoo my father is a DuFour, and my grandmother a Cunningham. Could you contact me please.
thank you

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 12:45PM GMT
Surnames: Daigle, Nedeau, murtha, lavesque,
I am quite familliar with the Daigle farm in Fort Kent, that was my family's farm. :)

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: Cantin, Le Vasseur, Dumond
Thank you, Nicholas, for the extra information about the photos. I am new at this but find it so addicting. I love history, especially when I have faces with names! I hope this gets to you even though I'm responding alomst 10 years later.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic