Search for content in message boards

Ballard family, Diller, NE

Ballard family, Diller, NE

Posted: 3 Nov 2002 5:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Jul 2003 4:11AM GMT
Surnames: Ballard
Looking for any information on Alexander Ballard, dob: Oct 10, 1828 in VA. Married Rebecca Sumner in Mar 13, 1853 in Indiana. Around 1880 he went to Nebraska to find work and 2 years later returned to get his wife and children and return to Nebraska. From what I understand he was a Blacksmith, but was involved with the building up of Diller NE. He died Sept. 25, 1916 in Fairbury, Jefferson Co., NE. Rebeccca died Sept 25, 1913 in Fairbury as well.
They had 9 children, names are: Lucy Olive, Etta (Etoille), Bert (Roberta or Alberta), Ida, William, Allan A., Bort S, Byrl E, and Wilma C. Any information on any or all would be greatly appreciate.
I do know that Lucy Olive was a teacher in Fairbury and never married from what we can find, died Nov 30, 1928. Etta married and his surname was McClay. Ida married and his surname was McElwee. Allan died May 19, 1913 in Beatrice, NE.
Bort S. married a Ruth Austin and later moved to CA. They had two children born in Nebraska; Julia Adelaide Ballard, dob Feb 7, 1902, and Albert D. Ballard, dob Oct 17, 1903.
I hope the information that I gave will open some doors for me.
Thanks in advance,

Pat Ballard
Spokane, WA

pissypat@icehouse.net

Re: genealogy Diller, NE

Diana (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2002 7:30PM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2002 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: Ballard,Diller,NE
I live in Portland Or and also have ties to Fairbury and Beatrice NE. I was there in Sept. last visiting. Fairbury is the county seat for Jefferson county. The courthouse there has GREAT records. I think you can order them from the courthouse through the GenWebJefferson county site. There is also a good Jefferson county Historical society in Steele city, they might do look ups.The marriage records I found provided me with names of parents, dates and ages of couple.Naturalizations are there also. They have been indexed by a guy from Endicott NE which makes it easy to find names in a hurry.All the cemetaries in Jefferson county are on line and fully indexed too! I remember seeing the Gillett name at the Fairbury cemetary when I was there!! It is the largest we visited in Jefferson county. Try the Gen Web site for these leads.
Beatrice is in Gage county. The courthouse have good records too! The naturalizations are indexed but not in order as they should be. It seems to me during WW1 there was a huge push to naturalize all German born residents. So the indexes are extensive. The marriage records are in great order though. Gage county cemetaries are on line though I warn you they are much larger than the cemetaries in Jefferson Co. Some are still being transcribed. Try the Gen Web site for Gage Co.
If you have friends or relatives in the area have them go to the courthouses personally.It only takes 20 minutes and they charge you $1.00 or less per record. If not, ordering them costs about $10.00 per record. The county sites have addresses and forms to order them.

Found: Lucy Olive Ballard and Harriet Ballard

Diana (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2002 9:07PM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2002 2:20PM GMT
OOpps. I meant to say I saw the Ballard name in Fairbury cemetary.
I looked up the cemetary and found Lucy Olive Ballard and Harriet Ballard buried there.

Re: Ballard family, Diller, NE

Posted: 4 Nov 2002 5:53AM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2003 4:11AM GMT
Diana,
Thanks so much for all your information. My husband and myself are having so much fun right now finding information on his family. His g-g-grandfather was Alexander Ballard, and he was a Blacksmith in Diller. I found is business name in the Nebraska State Gazetteer, Business Directory 1890-1891. He died in Fairbury, but I am not sure which cemetery he was buried in. His wife died 3 years to the date before him. I will check on everything you listed. We are hopeing to go back that way next year if all goes well. I have a family reunion to go to in Wheeling, WVA, so we might as well make it an all around trip. One of our daughters lives in Minnesota, so we have to stop there, that's a given.
My husband, Jim and myself, are thinking seriously of moving to Oregon, it just all depends on some other things. One is your election, as to how Measure 23 comes out. f it passes, than we will have to think of the WA coast. We want to much to live on the coast. We are actually CA coast people and are homesick for the sea breezes and salt air. Our other daughter lives in Springfield, so atleast I would be close to my granddaughter.
Again thanks so much for all your help and advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, and if you come across any other info, let me know.

Pat Ballard
Spokane, WA

pissypat@icehouse.net

Re: Ballard family, Diller, NE

Posted: 16 Nov 2002 12:55AM GMT
Edited: 15 Sep 2004 7:57PM GMT
Alex Ballard does show up in the 1880 Federal Census in Jefferson County, Steele City (ED 290), page 1. He is listed as a white male, age 51, a blacksmith, born in Virginia, and both parents born in Virginia. He also appears in the 1885 Nebraska State Census, age 58, in Diller. Also listed are wife Babbrea (sic) age 57, and children Olive, age 31; William, age 21, Alene, age 18; Alburtia, age 15, Bost, age 13; and Burl, age 6.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions