Search for content in message boards

Forsyth/forsythe in Lenawee Co., Michigan

Forsyth/forsythe in Lenawee Co., Michigan

Posted: 16 Mar 2007 8:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FORSYTH, MEAD
Looking for info on the family of James E. FORSYTH, wife Amy/Amie D. [MEAD], & daughter Kathyrn. James E. was born about 1869 Preston Co., WV, died Dec 31, 1930 Phoenix, AZ & remains shipped back to Blissfield, Lenawee Co., Michigan Jan. 3, 1931. The family was only in Phoenix, AZ for 1 year & daughter Kathryn was a senior in high school there. Kathryn must have gone to school in the Blissfield area growing up since she was born about 1913 in Michigan & the family lived in Blissfield, Lenawee Co., Michigan before going to Arizona. Amy/Amie D.[b.c.1873 Michigan] was the daughter of Daniel S. & Ellen MEAD. Any info on this family will be greatly appreciated. Barb Kelley

Re: Forsyth/forsythe in Lenawee Co., Michigan

Posted: 6 Sep 2007 7:10PM GMT
We had a James Forsythe born in Glenavy North Ireland on 19 Dec. 1828 and migrated to USA/Canada in 1840's.
We do not have much information on James. However, our James had a brother born in now Galt Ontario Canada in 1853 and married and moved to Detroit MI.
Details: http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.ireland.ant....

Posted: 6 Sep 2007 7:54PM GMT
Surnames: FORSYTH
The father [Alexander W.] of my James E. FORSYTH was born in Scotland as was both of his parents [Alexander FORSYTH & Mary FERGUSON]. Sorry I couldn't be of help. Barb Kelley

Posted: 3 Mar 2008 6:22PM GMT
Do you know when James' father, Alexander, arrived in the U.S.? I have seen two possible sources; the first(the ship manifest for the Josiah Bradlee) suggesting 1851 and the other 1849. The latter is from a biographical sketch of his son James E. Forsyth who settled in Lenawee County, Michigan.

Posted: 3 Mar 2008 6:39PM GMT
James Forsythe born Glenavy North Ireland December 19, 1828 was the second son of Robert Forsythe (born Lisburn Ireland 1800) and wife, Elizabeth Jane Jenkins (B 1811 Ireland).
He had a younger brother named Alexander born 1853 Galt Ontario and lived in Detroit in 1880's. Father Robert and mother Elizabeth migrated approximately 1847 and were listed in Canadian Census records 1850 for Galt Ontario; as well as their first Canadian born son, Robert, was born 1849 in Galt. If the family migrated all together then Father Robert and wife Elizabeth would have came with 4-5 Irish born children - William John (B 1825), James, John (?), George, and Margaret (Mary Jane) (B 1841).

Does this match any information youn have?

Posted: 3 Mar 2008 8:33PM GMT
Surnames: Forsyth, Ferguson
My Forsyth line, ther father Alexander [b.c 1795/1800]& his wife Mary Ferguson were both born in Scotland as were all of their children. I don't think there is a connection. Barb Kelley

Posted: 3 Mar 2008 8:56PM GMT
Surnames: Forsyth, White
I don't know when Alexander Forsyth came to the U.S. I have not been able to find them in the 1850 census in the U.S. In the 1860, he was in Preston Co., VA/WV with his mother. Alexander's sister, Helen married Ebenezer White in Scotland, & they came over on the ship "Marchioness of Clydesdale" arriving New York City, New York May 29, 1851. They also were in WV. Do you have a copy of the biographical sketch of James E. Forsyth? It must have some info in the sketch. I have the name of Alexander's parents but don't know where or when the mother died nor when the father died. Looking forward to hearing from you. My email is: wvmountain2@juno.com

Posted: 3 Mar 2008 9:09PM GMT
Surnames: Forsyth, White
I don't know when Alexander Forsyth came to the U.S. I haven't been able to find them in the 1850 census in the U.S. In 1860, he was living with his mother in Preston Co., VA/WV. His sister Helen married Ebenezer White in Scotland in 1845 & they came to the U.S. on the "Marchioness of Clydesdale arriving New York City, New York May 29, 1851. They also were in WV. I don't know when Alexander's parents died or where. The father was never in the census or in any of the documents that I have seen. Do you have a copy of the biographical sketch of James E. Forsyth? It must have some info on the family. Looking forward to hearing from you. You can contact me at my email: wvmountain2@juno.com Barb Kelley

Posted: 4 Mar 2008 3:12AM GMT
Sorry, this James Forsyth was born in West Virginia, 16 Jan 1869, the son of Alexander Forsyth, born in Scotland.

Bill

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 9:37PM GMT
Surnames: Forsyth, Walkinshaw
In case anyone has something different,
Alexander Forsyth who married Mary Ferguson was from Torpichen, West Lothian, Scotland and born about 1798.

He seems to match up with the Alexander Forsyth born on 12 Feb 1798 in Torphichen, the son of James Forsyth and Jean Walkingshaw (spellings may vary).

(In 1841, he was listed with is family at a Rawyard address in New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland. In 1851, he was listed in Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland.)

For further reference, children of James Forsyth and Jean Walkingshaw include:
James, William, John, Alexander, Agnes, Andrew, Robert, Thomas, and Margaret.

There may be other possibilities.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions