Search for content in message boards

1822 Ship Catherine St Andrews to Bridgeport, Connecticut with Irish on it

1822 Ship Catherine St Andrews to Bridgeport, Connecticut with Irish on it

Posted: 14 Apr 2012 8:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Why would an Irish family be on a ship that left from St Andrews waaay on the eastern side of Scotland?

There are other ports that would have been surely closer to home? Londonderry, Belfast, Dublin, Galway and Cork.

I am missing something - a stop perhaps in St Andrews (or perhaps a stop in Ireland FROM St Andrews before heading out into open water? What is the most likely scenario, does anybody know or can guess?

Thanks

Re: 1822 Ship Catherine St Andrews to Bridgeport, Connecticut with Irish on it

Posted: 19 Apr 2012 8:51PM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2012 8:55PM GMT

I see that there were only about 40 passengers on the ship, and it crossed my mind that those who were of Irish origin were actually already living in Scotland at the time.
...A lot of Irish came over to Scotland, and I notice that third from the top, there is a member of the clergy amongst them. I just wonder what part he played in this voyage. Did he accompany them from Ireland or was he already living in Scotland?

Brian

Posted: 21 Apr 2012 7:24PM GMT
Yes, you might be right that they were living in Scotland at the time. I'm not sure about the clergy, either. My thought when I first saw it was that it was just a coincidence.

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 1:04AM GMT
Where did you see the manifest for this ship? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.
Thank you,
SoCalMarge

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 1:23AM GMT
It's on Ancestry (the pay site_ and is part of the NARA Archives, so it could be on Fold3, too.

Atlantic Ports Pasenger Lists, 1820-1873 and 1893-1959
District of Fairfield, Connecticut 1822 October Catherine
http://search.ancestry.com/

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 6:57PM GMT
Thanks,
I could not find it yesterday on Ancestry, although I requested ships arriving in 1872 to Bridgeport. I got all kinds of ships arriving in other years. That's what I love about Ancestry - here today gone tomorrow (or just hidden somewhere else). I have learned to save the url for anything I find on Ancestry that I may want to go back to.
Marge

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 7:12PM GMT
If you can't find it, send me an email by clicking my user name and I'll send you the URL. It is in .jpg format and I don't have time to type it out. :)

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 9:15PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jun 2012 9:19PM GMT
Another way of getting the ships list for the Catherine is this...

Google: Ancestry, ships passenger lists - UK to Atlantic Ports.

A list comes up. Its the one second from top referring to Atlantic Ports. Click that. When the page comes up, you don't need to bother with a passenger's name...
Fill in...

Arrival:1822. Bridgeport, Fairfield, Connecticut.
Departure: St Andrews, Scotland.
Ship Name: CATHERINE.

Click search, and what comes up is the names of passengers who were on the ship. Click any one of them (make sure it is the right arrival year) The ships list comes up. Simply look for your ancestor. If not there, click next page for ships list.

Hope you get it okay.

Brian

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 8:08PM GMT
May I please ask if there were any Pollocks on the list?
Thank you and God bless,
Debra

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 7:55AM GMT
Surnames: Pollock
Debra,
Nobody named Pollock on the CATHERINE, but I noticed some going from Ireland to Wilmington, Delaware, and one to Philadelphia. There may be more. What chistian names did yours have? I noticed a Margaret, James, William and a Sarah, all on other ships from Ireland. Were yours from Ireland?

Brian
per page

Find a board about a specific topic