Search for content in message boards

German Reformed Church, Greencastle

German Reformed Church, Greencastle

Posted: 29 Jan 2006 4:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jan 2006 5:12AM GMT
Anyone know what records may exist from this church? My GG-GPs were married in the parsonage by Rev. John Rebaugh in June 1848. I'm trying to determine the parents of the bride and am hoping they may have been members. I'd like to find a record of the wedding and also a contemporaneous membership registry.

Re: German Reformed Church, Greencastle

Pat (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2006 2:47AM GMT
The Franklin county historical society in Chambersburg has some church records. They are not complete though, only select years regarding baptisms, marriages and deaths. They also have cemetery records for that church. Try them.

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 4:29AM GMT
I am a descendant of Joseph Shatzer & Maria Buch. If you give me the name of the Shatzer you are interested in I may have the information. My Great Grandparents were Joseph & Charlotte Bear (Crist) Shatzer of Antrim Township. Most of all the Franklin County Shatzers are related to Joseph and Maria.

Posted: 28 Apr 2007 9:44PM GMT
I'm not looking for a Shatzer this time, but the grandparents of Sarah Ann Lenherr (my GGM) who married Franklin Sumner Shatzer. Sarah's parents are Henry Lenherr and Julia Anne Gerhart (or one of the various spellings of that name). In Julia's widow's pension application is an affadavit from Henry's sister who swore that she witnessed their wedding at the place and time of my original post. I'm hoping that the parents may have been church members and I can identify the bride's parents. I know the groom's parents are David Lenherr and Magdalina Deihl.

BTW, we've corresponded before and you've been very helpful.

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 11:18PM GMT
I am going to send you what I ahve here at the house from the Grace Ref. records on the Gerhart name.
Bapt.
Henry born April 19, 1803
John born Jan. 10, 1805
David born March 9, 1806
Anna Maria born June 18, 1807
Catherine born Dec. 29, 1808
Jacob born Oct. 14, 1811
Rebecca born March 4, 1817
Sophia born July 29, 1818
All these children were bapt. Nov. 12, 1819 & the parents were Jacob & Margaret Gerhart

I do know that there were two Gearhart families in Antrim during that time, Jacob & Andrew. Andrew was married to Jane Carolus. Their daughter, Josephine, married David Gearhart, son of Jacob and they named a daughter, Julia, born 1871. Andrew lived near Guitner's U B church, NW of Greencastle & Jacob south of Greencastle.

I don't have the 1840 census index or the 1843 tax list here at the house but that would be a good place to see what Gerhart's were in Franklin County right before the marriage. I will try to remember to check to see if there are records at the church or a newspaper marriage.

Posted: 2 May 2007 12:36AM GMT
Today I went to the library to see if her obit might name her parents. No luck, just her children. I did come up with an idea if you have not already done it. Have you sent for a PA death certificate? If not, it should name her parents. That is, if who ever gave tho info knew. I checked the Greencastle library & they don't have papers for 1910, so the paper I saw was the Chambersburg Public Opinion. Also, did you check the 1840 PA index for names of Gearhart families in Franklin County?

Bonnie

Posted: 14 May 2007 8:46PM GMT
Surnames: Gearhart
I have just recently begun researching the Gearharts of Franklin County, PA. I think (hope) my GGGG grandparents were John and Margaret Loughrey Gearhart.

I found a compilation of names of Grace United Church of Christ that mentions a John and Margaret Gearhart on "page 10." I’ve emailed the church to ask if “page 10” has any further information.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/franklin/church/grac...

The 1810 census for Antrim Twp shows a John Garhart as Head of a household of 12.

My information (unproven, at this point) is that John(b.in Switzerland in 1744, d. 12 Oct 1817 in Antrim) married Margaret Loughrey (b. in Lehigh, PA in 1763, d. abt 1856 in Franklin County, buried in Hoke Cemetery) and had 11 children, the last(?) of which was George (b. 5 Feb 1805). I think (hope) that this George was my GGG grandfather. George b. 1805 married Mary Albright on 13 Dec 1831 in PA and moved to Pickaway County, OH. I think (hope) they had a son Jerome, b. 1832, which I know is my GG grandfather.

Can anyone shed any light on this family?

Thanks.
Artie Berry
ayberry@swbell.net
479-650-1115

Posted: 5 Aug 2007 7:23AM GMT
You might try writing to this organization: Evangelical and Reformed Historical Society, 555 W. James St., Lancaster, PA 17603. They are very helpful and had records of the German Reformed Church in Fannettsburg, PA.

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 11:57PM GMT
The German Reformed Church is now called Grace United Church of Christ, Greencastle, PA 1748 to now. The Rev. John Rebaugh was pastor 1837-1850. The email address is officegucc@pa.net, 228 E. Baltimore St., Greencastle, PA 17225. I have their 250th anniversary book but it doesn't list people in the congregation or births, deaths, and marriages.

Cherry Appenzellar Evans
Cherrypamevans@bellsouth.net
Ormond Beach, FL

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 7:51PM GMT
Wish I had seen your post several years ago. David Lenherr and Magdalina Deihl were my ancestors through the Clary family. Some in this line went to the Luthern Church in Greencastle. The church has some good records. BTW: The name you mentioned is probably spelled Gearhart.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic