Search for content in message boards

"OATH OF ALLEGIANCE"

"OATH OF ALLEGIANCE"

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 3:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Oct 2005 9:02PM GMT
First, I would like to thank all the individuals, that have helped me in my quest to prove my ancestor grandfather for the DAR.

I would like to know, where I can find the "Oath of Allegiance", that was signed by men over the age of 21. I am particularly interested in NJ; are there files anywhere, that I may search, or a place to contact?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Betty

Re: "OATH OF ALLEGIANCE"

Laura Summers (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2005 9:59PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2005 6:28AM GMT
Dear Betty:
Sorry I am late getting back to you. I had to ask for some help on this one, and as usual, our supervisor came through for me. Below is her reply. Happy to know that you are already a member of this great Society.
This is a free look up service provided by the DAR VIS Volunteers at this message board.
Laura

She needs to go to a larger library genealogy section and they would have books that list Oath of Allegiance in them. Or she can do a search under Google on the Internet since she didn't mention it the State was PA or why ... it is hard to reply to her.

when I typed in Oath of Allegiance I got several things to pick and this was one on PA as mentioned for the database.
This database lists the names of immigrants who took the oath of allegiance to the province and state of Pennsylvania from 1727-1775. All males over sixteen years of age were obliged to take this oath and declaration, as soon after their arrival as possible. Taking an oath of allegiance was a process undergone during early colonial emigration. In this oath, immigrants declared they would be faithful to King George II

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 11:37PM GMT
I guess I sent a confusing email; I am still in the process of proving my ancestor; supposedly he did civil service during REV WAR, but having a hard time proving that fact. I did find the info in a book on the approved list of the DAR, but a researcher still isn't satisfied with what I have. If anyone is interested, please let me know, and I will give more detail. Another way, he can become a Patriot is by showing he made an 'oath of allegiance' in 1776. The state he was from is New Jersey.

Thanks for your interest.
Betty

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 6:37AM GMT
Betty-

I've never heard of any required oath of allegiance in New Jersey. The Oath of Allegiance in PA was for arriving immigrants who were not English citizens (primarily the PA Germans) and the oath was that of allegiance to the government of the Pennsylvania colony and to the English King--not to the Patriot cause.

It sounds to me as if you are looking for evidence as to whether your New Jersey Revolutionary War era ancestor did anything that would qualify as Patriotic Service for acceptance by DAR.

Why not post a lookup request to this board so that the volunteers can see whether your ancestor is listed in the Patriot Index? Perhaps proof has already been filed.

Joan, message board admin

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 11:59AM GMT
Joan, I have some very kind ladies helping me with my research; I have the info I need, but doesn't seem to be adequate in the eyes of DAR.

The DAR register has already been checked, no luck. Seems like we have turned about all the stones. There is another Patriot in the family, that I can go in on; just wanted to prove a new one.

Thank you for interest.
Betty

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 4:37PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2005 6:15AM GMT
Hi Betty:
Have you had anyone look up the name of your ancestor in the Patriot Index? If you will let us know what his name is, we will do that for you.
Laura
This is a free lookup seervice provided by the DAR VIS Volunteers at this message board.

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 6:41PM GMT
Laura, I have a very nice lady, Darlene, who has been helping me search. There are several Jacob Vandorn's listed in the DAR register, but NOT MINE.

Here is what I have:

The name of the book listed below is on the approved list of the DAR for verification.

“The VanDoorn Family in Holland and America, page 482, states the following: “A descendant, Mrs. G. W. Vickers, of Phoenix, Arizona, gives an interesting tradition of the family to the effect that, “when the war broke out, although Jacob, Peter’s father, was over 70 years old, he was possessed of one of the largest gristmills in Monmouth CO., he contracted to furnish flour for the American Army, and that Peter with his men and teams did the carting to Amboy, Trenton and elsewhere to supply the army. Part of the time this flour was furnished without remuneration.”

As cited in “Certificates and Receipts of Revolutionary New Jersey, page 29, Jacob Vandorn was paid for carting a horse team on Nov 3 and Dec 1., 1781.

Jacob/Jacobus Vandorn/Vandoorn, Vandoren, JR.
B. January 21, 1703
D. February 26, 1779, Hillsdale, Monmouth Co., NJ
Married: Marijte Schenck, then Rachel Schenck

Have Jacob’s father's will telling of the grist mill, that was willed to Jacob; also, have Jacob’s will telling of the grist mill.

My problem, the Certificates and Receipts were issued after Jacob died. Would it be possible, that the monies owed were paid to the estate? The other possiblity, the receipts belong to another Jacob.

****Peter, Jacob's son served in the REV WAR, and has been proved, but he is not in my direct line.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.
Betty

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 8:56PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2005 6:18AM GMT
Sounds good to me, but I am not a Genealogist. Good luck
Laura
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions