Search for content in message boards

1901 Census Lookup Request: STEVENS/BOOTHER

1901 Census Lookup Request: STEVENS/BOOTHER

Seonaid Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2002 2:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Mar 2003 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Harvey, Stevens, Boother, Ward, Sullivan
I am trying to find my grandmother, EDITH MARY STEVENS BOOTHER, in the 1901 census, who married my grandfather HEDLEY HARVEY - without much success. She was the illegitimate daughter of WILLIAM STEVENS (chief stoker, RN) and JESSIE BOOTHER. I've been using the PRO online service, and can't understand why I can't find her. She doesn't appear to be living with her mother JESSIE WARD (nee BOOTHER), and I am guessing that she may have been fostered out in
the early years of her life. I found JESSIE living with her new husband
JAMES WARD and baby daughter LOUISA. I can't find her grandparents MARGARET (nee SULLIVAN) and GEORGE WILLIAM BOOTHER either (both should have been living in KENT - most probably on the ISLE of SHEPPEY).

EDITH was born in Sheerness, Sheppey, Kent on March 6 1898. I have tried looking for either EDITH or MARY, coupled with the surnames STEVENS and BOOTHER - no success. I'm not sure whether this may be a fault with the on-line version, and perhaps better luck would come about by looking at another version?

Is anyone able to help by doing a look up for me, or maybe by offering
advice?

Many thanks and kind regards

SEONAID LEWIS

------------
Researching:
HARVEY (Kent, England; Freshwater, Newfoundland, Canada; Ireland),
POTTLE, (Flatrock, Newfoundland, Canada),
STEVENS (Kent, England),
BOOTHER (London and Kent - England),
SULLIVAN (Kent, England; Cork, Ireland)
WARD (London and Kent - England),
LITTLE (Edinburgh and Kilmarnock - Scotland) ,
MCKENZIE (Aberdeen - Scotland),
DUNCAN (Edinburgh and Fife - Scotland),
SWANSON (Aberdeen and Caithness - Scotland),
DONALD (Aberdeen and Caithness - Scotland),
LEWIS (Caernarvon and Gwynedd - Wales, London - England)
JONES (Gwynedd - Wales)
FIPKIN (London - England)

Problems/Strategies re: 1901 English Census

Posted: 1 Oct 2002 12:18PM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2003 5:58PM GMT
Surnames: Peet, Pect, Greener, Preener
Hi,
I see you are having problems with the 1901 census! I did too!
I found that if you did not put the exact info as per the census, then it would come up as a 'not found'. I had several I knew should be there! but weren't!
So I tried several ways.like putting first name age with plus/minus a couple of years. and birth place. or surname and likewise.
Just for instance I couldn't find a family, and couldn't see how they all could all be missing. so I tried the youngest child who was 15 but couldn't find her as Greener, so thought she might of married even being so young! so I put her name age [plus/minus 3 years] and birth place and found a 'Alice Preener' checked out the other members of the family and found them all living together!
Also found another surname that should of been PEET as PECT. also a first name that should of been MARY as MARGT So play around with it
I tried to look at it just now, but it's off air being maintained
I''l keep trying too, and if I find anything will let you know.
Regards Dawn Hurst

More re: Problems/Strategies & 1901 Census

Posted: 2 Oct 2002 7:54PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2004 4:53PM GMT
Hello, I saw your request for help, having had similar problems with my own research I found that by putting in the surname, county of birth & approximate age usually came up with results, Don't be specific with place of birth ie town even if you are certain of it & don't give first name as the way it is recorded on the census is often not the same as the birth certificate. George is often shortened to Geo. William may be Bill or Will or Wm. I found two Edith Stevens, 4 years old, born in Kent. Put in surname, rough age & county & see what you come up with. Good luck.

Re: 1901 Census Lookup Request: STEVENS/BOOTHER

Posted: 29 Aug 2011 4:30PM GMT
Good morning. I am responding to an earlier request re Pottle. I am a granddaughter of Emma Harvey (snow) and grew up in Flatrock. Have you found the information you were researching regarding the Pottles and Harveys? I have made some phone calls and can forward this to you if still relevant. My apologies that this isn't a reply to the correct post but not quite sure how to do that.

Cheers

Re: 1901 Census Lookup Request: STEVENS/BOOTHER

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 9:01PM GMT
Hello, Im just wondering are you "black" or "white"? my last name is bother but im "black" just wondering because my last name is rare
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions