Search for content in message boards

Gragg-McCalla-S.C. 1700's

Gragg-McCalla-S.C. 1700's

Frances tinsley (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gragg, McCalla
I am researching the surnames above.
William Gregg sr. died Nov. 10, 1816, in Newberry co. He lived with his wife, Jane, in a settlement called Mullexander. William and Jane had a daughter named Mary that married Samuel Mccalla. Mary and Samuel had a son named Robert and he married his cousin, Nancy Gragg. So William surely had a son named John, whose daughter was Nancy. John also had sons named John william, William Christopher Columbus, Joseph, and daughters Eliza and Elizabeth. There may have been more children that I don't know about.
The Gragg and McCalla families left Newberry co. and traveled to Ga. then on to Lincoln co. Tn and then to Tipton co. Tn.
Some of this information I got out of the book " ANNALS OF NEWBERRY".
william Sr. is buried at Cannon Creek. That is where their religious meetings were held.
anyone with any information ,please contact me. I think I am looking for a prominent family from Scotland.

McCullough (McCulloch) family

Posted: 23 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2003 1:21AM GMT
Surnames: McCULLOUGH, JAMES, WITHERSPOON
I have been researching my wife's family for many years. JOHN McCULLOUGH came from Tain, Scotland and North Ireland in 1736 to South Carolina with wife Elizabeth JAMES. This family was active during the Revolutionary War, signed the Darien (Ga.) Proclamation sending Button Gwinnett and Lyman Hall as Georgia delegates to the Continental Congress. They helped settle both S.C. and coastal Georgia, particularly active in the famous Midway, Ga. area. The McCulloughs of central Florida and the Savannah area are related. Brothers John, Thomas, and Nathaniel came also to Kingstree, S.C. in 1736. Believe brothers William and Seth came with General Ogelthorpe to settle Georgia with the other Scot families. The John WITHERSPOON and William James families emigrated to Williamsburg, S.C. and are also family of these. I also have TINSLEY family that came from Virginia, to South Carolina and then eventually into Georgia.
Lee Williams, Darien, Ga. E-mail if desired sapello@darientel.net

Re: McCullough (McCulloch) family

Posted: 9 Nov 2001 3:48PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2005 2:19PM GMT
Which McCulloughs in this query were in Newberry County and when, please????

Posted: 8 Jun 2003 8:50AM GMT
Probably no connection but I have a Robert Grant/Isobel McCulloch at Little Garrie/ Garrich? Tain with children: David, b 15 Nov 1806; Alexander, b 3 Nov 1807; Christian [dau.] b 9 Apr 1810

Lee Williams, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2003 12:42AM GMT
Surnames: McCULLOUGH, McRAE, QUARTERMAN, OSGOOD
Jan: My thanks for contacting me regarding the McCullough (McCulloch) family. I have very limited data on the McCulloughs individually in Scotland but quite a bit in general from there. The family you mentioned are probably kinsmen of our's as our emigrant ancestor John McCullough came from Tain, Scotland to America in 1736 with a Thomas and Nathaniel McCullough; brothers William and Seth came over about the same time we believe with General Ogelthorpe helping to settle the area around Darien, Georgia.

The McCullough family came over we believe from Knockbracken, Parish of Drumbo, North Ireland. They were very prominent in helping to settle early coastal Georgia and part of South Carolina under the goverment of the King of England, later participating very actively in the American Revolutionary War. Again my thanks for your contact, Lee.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic