Search for content in message boards

Breen of in or near Gorey, County Wexford, Ireland

Breen of in or near Gorey, County Wexford, Ireland

Posted: 7 Aug 2005 5:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Breen
Would like to communicate with Breen descendants who's Breen family lived in or near Gorey, County Wexford in late eighteenth century to mid nineteenth century. Have information to share.

Re: Breen of in or near Gorey, County Wexford, Ireland

James Edge (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2005 4:42PM GMT
Surnames: Edge, McNeela, Breen, Cullen, Kinsella
Hi,
Although I am not a direct descendant of any Breens I do know of a family of Breens that live in Main Street. I don't know if you know of them. I am a bit sketchy but my Grandmother is more familiar with them. I am distantly related. I am from a line of Kinsella's of Gorey that married the Cullen's of Gorey. My great great grandmother had a sister called Kit who married a Breen. They had three children named Dora, Nelle and Nancy. I know Dora had at least one daughter named Mary. Mary then had a daughter named Breda Breen. There are more of them but I don't know what their names are. Does this help at all?

James Edge

Posted: 6 Sep 2005 6:14PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2006 7:27PM GMT
Hello James:
Am I correct, you either live in Gorey or were from there?
The last time we were in Gorey was in Sept. 04. Met a Mr. Breen who lives downtown about a block off of Main St. This Mr. Breen is a retired bldg. contractor with his ancestors mostly all being poultry dealers.
Have researched in Gorey a lot I have often come upon records of the Kinsella & Cullen families. I do not believe that your Breens you mentioned fit my Gorey Breens. Two Breen brothers, James my gggrandfather and his brother Patrick and their families lived at Coolnavia Townland just s.e. of Gorey in 1820s to 1840s. James married Fanny Barrett of Coolishal townland and Patrick married Margaret Casey of Gorey. Patrick and Margaret emigrated to Alexandria, VA in early 1840s and James and Fanny and their children emigrated with the Father Thomas Hore group in 1850 and settled here in Fort Smith, Arkansas. I am trying to tie James and Patrick to other Gorey area Breens but no success so far. Also am researching the Barrett family of Coolishal and having some success in spite of all the Barrett family carrying the surname being now deceased.
Thanks for letting me hear from you.
Jerry Hendricks

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 12:30AM GMT
Surnames: Breen, Holden, Elwood, Cryne, Nock
I am descended from a Wexford Breen - my greatgrandfather, James Breen, left the Rossdroit/Clonroche area in 1864 and joined the Dublin Metropolitan Police. I have found a James Breen in the Griffith's Valuation listed in the parish of Rossdroit around 1853 who is, perhaps, my great-great-grandfather. Rossdroit is listed in the nineteenth century as being in the Post Town of Clonrcohe and is on the road to Enniscorthy and goes directly to Gorey. However I am sure you are aware that Breens were abundant around Wexford and Waterford. I would be very intersted in sharing information. Sioban Mullin.

James Edge (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2005 9:48PM GMT
Surnames: Breen, Kinsella, Cullen
Hi,
I don't actually know much about the Breen's at all. There are still some living there but I don't know anything about them. They are my grandmother's distant cousins. What I know is very sketchy. I don't know if I've mentioned this already but my ancestor's (Elizabeth Cullen) sister (kit Cullen) married a Breen and they had three daughters together. Dora, Nelle and Nancy were their names. Dora had one daughter who then had two daughters herself. As I said this is very little information and they form a small part of my tree. Sorry if it doesn't help.

James

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 11:52AM GMT
Surnames: Breen & Barrett
Hello Jim:
Your family names that are connected with your Breens do not show up on any of the information that I have uncovered in the Gorey area so far. Thanks for trying. There are still Breens in Gorey today and I have met some of them. They did not have enough information on their family to make it possible for me to make any connections. My great great grandparents, James Breen & Fanny Barrett Breen, left Gorey in 1850 and emigrated to Arkansas. James' brother, Patrick Breen & his wife Peggy Casey Breen, emigrated apparently to Alexandria, VA in early 1840s.
Let me know if I can help you.

Posted: 26 Oct 2006 11:38PM GMT
Just came across your email re Wexford Breens. My great-grandfather was James Breen. He left the Clonroche area of Wexford around 1865 and went to Dublin where he joined the Dublin Metropolitan Police. My family has been rooted in Dublin ever since. I left Dublin in 1967 and moved to Canada but am still very connected to to the city.
I am very intersted in swopping information.

Siobhan Mullin

Posted: 27 Oct 2006 12:00PM GMT
My James Breen, his wife and children were living just outside Gorey when they emigrated to the US in 1849 with a group led by Father Thomas Hore. James had a brother Patrick who emigrated a few years earlier with his family to Alexandria, VA. Based on the order of the two brothers naming their children we have determined that the brothers father was John and the mother was Elizabeth. This was as early as we could confirm. Clonroche is quite a distance from Gorey so I would doubt there is a connection. We have been to Clonroche several times as we turn there to go to Cloughbawn where Father Hore is buried in the church.

Posted: 21 Nov 2006 4:19PM GMT
Dear Jerry

I thought that your family were from Kilanerin near Gorey. Most of the Breens listed in the 1901 and 1911 censuses at Coolishall Lower, Kilnahue, Gorey Hill, William Street now McCurtain Street and Kilmurray are descendants of John and Thomas Breen two brothers who were born in or near Ballagh, County Wicklow. In some records their name appears as Brien. The other Breens poulters who lived in Main Street might be related to you. I think that there is a photograph of that family at the National Library of Ireland try entering Breen and Gorey in your search engine and the website will come up.

Regards Mathonwy

Jerry Hendricks (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2006 9:06PM GMT
Thanks for trying to help. The two Breen brothers: my James left Ireland in 1850 and Patrick left c.1840s-50s. They lived at Coolnavia townland 1820s until they emigrated as proven by St. Michael's records. They could having moved there from Kilanerin but I have never been able to get earlier then the 1820s. I have met one of the Breens who was a poulter as was his father. This Breen lives a block or so east of Main St. in Gorey.
I have communicated with Peter Breen who lives in Chelmsford, Essex who's father came from Gorey. Their Breens came earlier from Co Wicklow.
Good to hear from you,

Jerry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic