Search for content in message boards

Hartsock / Hartsook Washington Co., Virginia & Sullivan Co., & Overton Co., Tennessee

Hartsock / Hartsook Washington Co., Virginia & Sullivan Co., & Overton Co., Tennessee

Posted: 27 Jul 2009 1:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have posted this in the past, but it has been more than 3 years ago. Hopefully someone may have new information I am seeking now.

The Hartsock Family line starts with William Spurrier Hartsock. Born most likely Virginia, between 1790 and 1820. The only records uncovered at this time are the marriage record for son Isaac. Which states his parents were William Spurrier Hartsock and Barbara Hartsock. Census records for Isaac Hartsock, which show his parents were born in Virginia, and death certificate for Isaac, also showing parents born in Virginia. There is some speculation that William Spurrier Hartsock, descends from one of the three original Hartsock brothers, who came to Washington Co., Virginia. However, we do know that both Isaac and brother William H Hartsock were born in Virginia.
Note:
Washington County Virginia Marriages 1853 - 1880
Groom: Isaac Wesley Hartsock, 22; single; b. Sullivan Co. TN; res. Washington Co., Virginia; Miller, son of William Spurrier and Barbara Hartsock.
Bride: Susan Delina Neely, 21; single; b. & res. Washington Co., Virginia, daughter of Robert and Julia Neely.
Minister: John H. Wallace

The 1850 Census shows " Wesley Hartsock", age 16, a Farmer, Catherine Hanby, age 70, and Matilda Gross, age 30, all living in District 67, Washington Co., Virginia.

In the 1860 census living with Isaac Wesley Hartsock was William H Hartsock, age 8, b. in Virginia. I believe he was living with Julia Neely in the 1870 census. I believe William H Hartsock is a brother.

Census reports reflect that both of Isaac's parents were born in Virginia.

Kentucky Death Certificate states Isaac's name as Isaac Wesley Hartsook, born May 6, 1835, in Washington Co., Virginia. Father's name, William Hartsook, born in Virginia, Mother's name, unknown, born in Virginia. This is consistant with the census records, which also states parents were born in Virginia. At the time of his death, he was living at 742 S. 16th Street, Louisville, 11th Ward, Jeferson Co., Kentucky. However, Marriages records show he was born in Sullivan Co., Tennessee. Prior to 1800, Sullivan Co. was part of Washington Co., Virginia, some time before 1840, Tennessee aquired a portion of Washington Co., and formed Sullivan Co., Tennessee.

Re: Hartsock / Hartsook Washington Co., Virginia & Sullivan Co., & Overton Co., Tennessee

Posted: 27 Jul 2009 10:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
ref: to Hartsock family in VA My ancestor David Tranbarger possibly born in Germany married Kate Hartsock they resided in Washington Co VA then in 1830 & 1840 in Sullivan Co. TN then one of their sons James came to Overton County TN about 1843. I believe the Kate is a sister to your William because of the age time frame and where they lived. I may have what cemetery Kate is buried in also will check later today and get back with you.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic