Search for content in message boards

Worker killed in train yard about April 1919

Worker killed in train yard about April 1919

Posted: 31 Jul 2008 10:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jennings, Cook, Stebleton
My Grandfather Earl Jennings was killed in a train yard accident while working as a switchman about February, March or April 1919

His mailing address at the time was in Mattawan, Michigan and he was living with his wife Margareta and had a daughter Carmen Doring born 4 Dec 1918 who was 3 months old at the time of his death

I am looking for a obituary or a burial place for Earl Jennings and a newspaper account of the accident which was about February, March or April 1919

Since he was living in or had a mailing address in the Mattawan area at the time of his death is there also a cemetery in that town and can someone please tell me the name of it

Re: Worker killed in train yard about April 1919

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 3:04AM GMT
There is Maple Grove Cemetery about 2 miles North of Mattawan, I think that is the closest. I don't know for sure if there is one right in Mattawan, haven't seen it anyway. The Township probably has the records, that would be Antwerp Township as far as I know.
http://www.antwerptownship.com/

Posted: 1 May 2010 3:47AM GMT
Thank you for this information and I will send a message to them to see if anything at all can be located about Earl Jennings

Posted: 19 May 2010 12:29AM GMT
If this will help I've mapped all cemeteries in Van Buren county. Follow this link to the map. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&a...

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 2:20AM GMT
Surnames: Jennings
I have checked all listings in the cemeterys given and still can not find Earl Jennings but I did find a miscalculation on the date of death. His date of death would be about February or March of 1919 in stead of April 1919 according to information given to my mother he was killed in a train yard mashed between to boxcars 3 months after she was born and she was born on the 4th of December 1918

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 3:03AM GMT
You might try contacting the archive library at Westen Michigan University they have access to the old Kalamazoo Gazette's via on line. and also the "Hartford Daypring" newspaper is available through the web site of the Hartford. That would have been pretty big news in the area. You might also try the Kalamazoo Library. Good luck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic