Search for content in message boards

Hilburn/Kilburn(e)/Vaughan

Hilburn/Kilburn(e)/Vaughan

Jeannie Hilburn (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hilburn, Helburn, Kilburn, Kilburne, Hillburn, Hilborn
Looking for early 1700s ties and records for John Vaughan and Vaughan or John Hilburn/Kilburn in this county. Have found records of Vaughan Helburn/Hilburn land patents here since the early 1730s. There is a 1736 will of John Vaughan who names a Vaughan Hilburn or Kilburn in his will. Will is probated by Vaughan Hilburn in 1741. Any help at all would be appreciated ( Virginia book of wills has Kilburne or Kilburn, and another source has Hilburn or Hilburne).
Jeannie Hilburn

Re: Hilburn/Kilburn(e)/Vaughan

Posted: 27 Apr 2008 3:43PM GMT
Surnames: Hilburn's, Hillborns, Hilborne
http://www.familyhelper.net/ft/genhil.html

I believe my dad has all this information. He's traced us back to coming in at Isle of Wright in VA and we're trying to find out where in the UK we came from. The website above lists the family of Thomas Hilborn 1655-1723 brought the Hilborn name to the U.S. (and later to Canada) with the spelling Hilborn (and not Hilborne or other variations). In 1670 he crossed the Atlantic as an indentured servant.

Teri
Michael_Teri@msn.com

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 1:15PM GMT
I often did wonder if our Hilburns were related to the Quaker Hilborns but there was no evidence found of a direct link. The Quakers have (maybe still have) the tendency to drop mentioning people who leave their faith.

Another researcher had information that was unverified (stories from her Dad) "Madge Hilburn daughter of Octavius Hilburn" that 3 brothers (all using Hilburn not Hilborn) came into Virginia in the early 1700's - John (who stayed), a Thomas, and I think a William (I am not sure about that) and it was stated they came from England. Also a record of some "Hilburn" children, parents deceased, being cared for and showed up on a census I think was 1701? I am pulling this from memory. I am going to have to find that box of info!

There are documents from an early Boddie researcher/genealogist of a will of a John Vaughan that originally named a John Hilburn as an heir which was modified to a Vaughan Hilburn and John Simmons as grandsons and heirs (this is available without the mention of a change, just shows Hilburn and Simmons, from the Virginia records online, I think it was 1742 or so - look for John Vaughan).
(I thnk all this info is on the boards for Hilburn)
Now, from that will (the earliest found document we have heard of) there is a history of "Vaughan/Vaughn/VON Hilburns/(all the spellings)" that follows a pattern to our direct, traceable ancestor Vaughn Hilburn (who changed his name to Hilbun) to Georgia in 1823. Solid evidence from that Vaughn till to date.
The combination of "Vaughan/Vaughn" and "Hilburn/all the spellings" is unusual, very unusual. Vaughan being Welsh surname and Hilburn/Hilborn being English. As was the custom of the early 1700's, the first born son was often named for the father or family of the bride (or a mentor)and the second born son was named for the father/fathers family. so I did quite a search at that time on Vaughan also. At least this is what I read. Don't hang me I am wrong!

****If you have information concerning Isle of Wight earlier than 1750 of Hilburn/Hilborn/helburn/any spelling I would appreciate that info.***

I have land deed information of a Vaughn Helburn (allt he spellings) selling land.
Robin may be correct as far as traceable records go of the Hilborns first arriving and the Quakerism but I did find other records of Hilburns coming over as indentured servants. They didn't fit my time period of interest so I dropped them.
Our biggest obstacle to finding records in Virginia is when the Yankees burned Richmond (or was it Fredericksburg?) courthouse to the ground. A lot of records were lost that day.

Thanks for posting a reply!
Jeannie

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: Hilburn
Would any of your male Hilburn relatives consider DNA testing to help us connect our Hilburn lines. I've searched for years to find the ancestry of my g-g-grandfather, Hiniard Hilburn in the Carolinas. There are Hilburns in adjoining counties, but we cannot find a connection. So far, my brother is the only Hilburn surname participant in a study. DNA won't give us specifics, but it will let us know if we have a common ancestor.

Let me know if anyone wants specific info on participating.

Teresa

Posted: 20 Feb 2009 1:32PM GMT
Hi Teresa,

I will ask my brother Vaughn if he will consider it.
Please email details straight to me at jkl4325@aol.com.

I would not be surprise me that there is a link. From my other brothers research (you see him on the boards alot - George Hilburn) our Hilburns were in the Carolinas from Virginia since about the 1750's or so. There is a discernable trace of Vaughn/Vaughan/Von/etc Hilburns that run from Isle of Wight VA into Georgia on to Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, and Oklahoma. Its not a common combination but one that does occur in our family line alot.
Does it appear in yours?

Jeannie

Posted: 25 Feb 2009 12:27PM GMT
Surnames: hilburn
Hi,

You would have to contact my dad about the DNA. He is currently 77 yrs old and is the one completing my family tree for me. He has all of the information on OUR side of the HILBURN's.

His email is
lhilburn@peoplepc.com

It might take him a bit to get back to you.

Teri

Posted: 25 Feb 2009 1:12PM GMT
Teri,
the email address you gave me bounced (as in its not working).
Do you guys have a website with all your information?
you can have him email me dirctly if you like - jkl4325@aol.com

Our Hilburns were in NC for about 80 years we think. See this link:
http://www.geocities.com/ghilburn888/index.html

Don't get confused by the Hilbun instead of Hilburn. There is a story there that no one is telling about our Hilburns dropping the R. There is solid eveidence that the first Vaughn Hilburn who came into and stayed in GA was a Hilburn.

Jeannie

Posted: 2 Apr 2009 10:59AM GMT
Surnames: Hilburn
If anyone wants any of the information that my dad (Jere Hilburn) has found. Please email him at lwhilburn@earthlink.net

Thanks a buch

Teri Wooten
per page

Find a board about a specific topic