Search for content in message boards

WINTERS - Carroll Co, Maryland

WINTERS - Carroll Co, Maryland

Caroline Byng (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WINTERS, EMMERICH
Johannes (John) WINTER/s brought his family to Baltimore from Hesse Darmstadt in 1834; his brother, Jonas WINTER moved from Baltimore to Frederick shortly after arriving and then married a woman from Carroll Co. MD and moved there.

John WINTER & wife, Maria Catherine EMMERICH
had three children: Jonas (after his uncle),
Philip (my gg grandfather) and Wilhemenia (Mina).

Does any of this sound familiar to you?? Do we have a link?

Re: WINTERS - Carroll Co, Maryland

Posted: 15 Mar 2006 1:17PM GMT
Surnames: emmerich, werner , berbert , guinans
I saw some information you posted on Ancestry that seems related to research that I am doing.

On the emmigration from Germany to Brazil in 1823, two emmerich and some winter arrived. They are from the same place you state ( Darmstadt, Hesse) . The names Jonas and Whillemina are very common in my roots.

I am Brazilian descendent from Johan Heinrich Emmerich (born in 1788) and Charlotte Hess or Herstein or Hesse. They came to Brazil in 1823, on board of the vessel Caroline. The vessel left port of Hamburg on Dec 17, 1823 and arrived in Rio on April 14, 1824.

The Emmerich couple brought with them their first 9 kids. Six more kids were born in Brazil, where there is a very big Emmerich family.

Johan and his wife came from a small village called Bleichenbach, at the Hesse state. The same place where Johanna Emmerich came from.

Al this info is a result of several investigations done by the family members, but unfortunately we had no luck yet finding the ancestors of Johan and Charlotte.

Do you know anything about yr ancestors relatives in Germany?

We are also looking for the ancestor of Jonas Emmerich, married to Maria Frederika Klaar. They came from Becherbach and Kirnbecherbach, at the same Hessen state.

Thank you very much for any answer you may be able to send.

If you have any interest in the Winters in Brazil, I will be glad to send you what I have.

Thank you,

Claudia Emrich
Rio de Janeiro
Brazil

Posted: 3 Jun 2008 7:02PM GMT
Surnames: Winter Evans
I'm looking for descendants of Jonas and Amelie Winter, who lived in Baltimore, Maryland in the late 1800's. Jonas was a shoemaker from Hannover, Germany. Amelie was born in Maryland, and her maiden name was Evans. Their daughter Mary Josie Winter (born Oct. 6, 1860) married a lawyer in So. Dakota, E. B. Korns, my great grandfather. There is an extensive Korns website, but I lack information on the Winter side of the family. The siblings of Mary Josie were Henrietta J. Winter (born c. 1859), Maggie Winter (born c. 1862), and Jonas Winter (also born c. 1859, possibly a twin to Henrietta). They lived on Poppleton St. in Baltimore, MD.

Posted: 3 Jun 2008 7:03PM GMT
Surnames: Winter Evans
I'm looking for descendants of Jonas and Amelie Winter, who lived in Baltimore, Maryland in the late 1800's. Jonas was a shoemaker from Hannover, Germany. Amelie was born in Maryland, and her maiden name was Evans. Their daughter Mary Josie Winter (born Oct. 6, 1860) married a lawyer in So. Dakota, E. B. Korns, my great grandfather. There is an extensive Korns website, but I lack information on the Winter side of the family. The siblings of Mary Josie were Henrietta J. Winter (born c. 1859), Maggie Winter (born c. 1862), and Jonas Winter (also born c. 1859, possibly a twin to Henrietta). They lived on Poppleton St. in Baltimore, MD.

Posted: 3 Jun 2008 7:25PM GMT
I found my Winter ancestors, from Maryland, by searching this web site -- http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~midmdroots...

The web site owner, Dorinda Davis Shepley, descends from my Winter ancestors and she has extensive records on the Winter family from Maryland. (My branch went to Iowa in the mid 1850s.)

Good luck!

Posted: 5 Jun 2008 7:48PM GMT
Here is my Winter Line

Matthias Winter
Moved from Harrison Co VA(WV) to Grass Lick, Jackson Co VA(WV) abt 1854
m. Martha Johnson
Sister of Joseph Johnson, Governor of VA
* James L Winter
m. Sarah Bennet
* William Winter b. Harrison Co VA(WV), d. never married
* Celia B Winter b. Harrison Co VA(WV)
m. Jacob Casto b. 1845 d. 1930
* Sarah Winter b. Harrison Co VA(WV)
m. Charles F Winter
* Evaline Winter b. Harrison Co VA(WV)
m. Elisha Walton
* John B Winter b. Harrison Co VA(WV)
m. Harriet Price
* Matthias "Tice" Winter b. Harrison Co VA(WV)
m. Agnes "Bell" Isabella Tincher

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 4:43AM GMT
Surnames: Winters in Baltimore, MD
Thanks for the info. I tried the Maryland info you suggested, but so far, no luck. Not a shred of info I can tie into. I'll keep looking.

Posted: 5 Jan 2009 10:19PM GMT
Joella Winter was an older sister of my husband's mother Margaret Winter Wilkinson whose family lived in Ashland, Wisconsin. Joella lived in Long Beach in the late 1920's. For a time with her Aunt Josie and was also married for awhile to, I believe, a musician by the name of Jimmy James. Joella died as a result of breast cancer at an early age. I had always thought Josie to have been the older sister of Margaret and Joella's father Otho Albert (Al) Winter who was born in Mount Savage, Allegany, Md in 1866 to Otho and Margaret EVANS Winter. It now appears Josie and Otho might have been cousins and not through the Winter line but the Evans line! Margaret Evans was born in Wales and the daughter of John and Mary Evans. John and Mary and their family are listed in District 5 (Mt. Savage), Allegany, Maryland 1850 census - John age 53, b England; Mary age 55, b England; Margaret age 15 b Wales; Elizabeth age 12, b what appears to be Md. Could Amelie have been an older sister to Margaret and Elizabeth?

Josie was a beloved "aunt" of the Otho Winter family from Ashland, Wisconsin. Otho Jr. (Bud) lived with E.B. and Josie for a time when they lived in Tracy, MN about 1910. I know my mother-in-law Margaret was with Josie in California in the early 1930's as well.

Anyway, this is a very interesting turn of events. I'd love to delve into it a little more

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions