Search for content in message boards

GRIFFIN & MUNSON - DAR Lookup

GRIFFIN & MUNSON - DAR Lookup

Ruth Heimburger (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2005 4:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jan 2005 7:24AM GMT
Surnames: GRIFFIN, MUNSON
Would SKS please see if the following are registered in the DAR Index?

1) Ralph Griffin b. 5 Jan 1754 Halifax Co., VA
d. 13 Sept., 1838 Switzerland Co., IN
2) Samuel Griffin b. @1735 in VA
d. @ July 1799, Chester Co., SC
3) Samuel Munson b. 15 Sept. 1717 Wallingford, CT
d. 1790 Fayette Co., KY

Thank you so much for your time.

Ruth Heimburger

Re: GRIFFIN & MUNSON - DAR Lookup

Ann (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2005 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: Griffen
Dear Ruth,

I was not able to find your Samuel Griffin or your Samuel Munson. This does not mean they are not patriots. It only means that no one has used them as their patriot to join the DAR.

I was however, able to find Ralph.

GRIFFIN, Ralph
Birth: VA 5 Jan 1754
Service: SC
Death: IN 12 Nov 1838
Patriot Pensioned: Yes Widow Pensioned: No
Children Pensioned: No Heirs Pensioned: No
Spouse: (1) Catherine X

You will notice that Ralph is pensioned. You can either send to the National Archives or to David's Library, Washington Crossing, PA to obtain a copy of his pension. My suggestion is David's Library since it will take less time to obtain it. Here is the site address for the David Library: http://www.dlar.org/

I hope this is of some help for you. If you are interested in receiving a copy of this application, send a check in the amount of $10.00 payable to The Treasurer General and send it along with your ancestors information to:
Records Copy Dept
Registrar General NSDAR
Administration Building
1776 D Street NW
Washington, DC 20006-5392

If your interested in joining the DAR please let me know so I can help find a chapter in your area.

If there is anything else I can do to help out please let me know. I am more than willing to help with anything I can.

Sincerely,

Ann VIS Volunteer

This is a free lookup service provided by the DAR Volunteers at the DAR Message Board

Ruth Heimburger (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2005 1:52PM GMT
Dear Ann,
Thanks so much for your response! Ralph Griffin (whom you found in the Index) was my gggg grandfather! I'm wondering how I need to submit information to prove the lineage. Since someone else has already obviously proven some portion of it, do I need to submit all the same documentation? Some of my documentation is only via a family Bible. Is that good enough?

What are the benefits of being a DAR member? As you noted, there were two names you did not find in the index. Along with those two, I may have another 2 or 3 who might have been RW patriots, too. On avaergae, given our generations alive today, about how many direct line ancestors might one person have who would have been eligible (from an age standpoint) to be a part of the Rev War?

Thanks again for your response and help.

Ruth Heimburger

Ann (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2005 10:47PM GMT
Surnames: Griffin
Dear Ruth,

I am glad I was able to help you with Ralph. The connection you need to prove is a direct line to him. He will be documented in the DAR papers and then it just depends on which child was the grandparent of the applicant. Does this help? As far as a bible as proof, as long as you remember the one rule of thumb.....always....ALWAYS......get the title page of the book you use as a reference. This would include a bible.

I have beena member of the DAR for several years now. It is a wonderful organization to be a member of. I am active in Naturalization Court and our towns Heritage Day. I am an active guide to the house our chapter owns. We are active in the good citizen aaward to local schools and also the ROTC awards. If you want to be active in civic duties it is a great group to be a part of.

I thought when doing my own application that I would probably only have one person who I would be able to join through but I was surprised. I believe I have at least 17 people to work on, and this is not counting my one grandmother since both her parents came from Lithuania. I am sure you will find many aancestors who have served their country once you get looking. Remember they could have been a minister giving a patriotic sermon, a doctor, one of the many committee members, anyone who signed an oath of allegience, giving supplies, or actually a signer of the Declaration of Allegience.

I hope I have been able to help you. If there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Sincerely,

Ann VIS Volunteer

Ruth Heimburger Carroll (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2005 2:11PM GMT
Thanks, Ann. I will seek out our local chapter. I will be moving to Colorado later this year (to a very small mountain community), so I'll also have to check out anything that might be active there. At least they have a Family History Center!

Thanks also for the information re: peripheral contacts. I never thought of other support people who might not have fought directly, but may have been a vital member of the community in motivating and providing background support for the troops.

Genealogists are still my favorite people! Thanks again!

Ruth

Chairman - Pommern Research Resource Group of Northern Illinois (PRRG)

Volunteer - Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness
http://www.RAOGK.ORG

Volunteer - Family History Center - Naperville, IL
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions