Search for content in message boards

Gabriele Family from Rogliano to Leetonia, Ohio

Gabriele Family from Rogliano to Leetonia, Ohio

Posted: 7 Apr 2007 2:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching the family of Francesco and Carmina (maiden name unknown) Gabriele of Rogliano, Cosenza. Their known children, all born in Rogliano, were: Dominic (born c. 1877-79, immigrated to US 1901/02); Ralph (no doubt not his Italian name, which is unknown; born c. 1880, immigrated to US in 1910); Teresa (born c. 1884, immigrated to US 1921); Giuseppe (born c. 1890/91, immigrated to US in April 1908). As far as I can tell Francesco and Carmina remained in Rogliano.

Dominic married a (I believe) widow, Agata Cozza, who emigrated in 1908 with her two children Francesco (age 3) and Silvio (age 8 months.)

Giuseppe married Concetta Fionda of Rogliano, (born c. 1896, daughter of Francesco Fionda. She immigrated to US in 1921 and married Giuseppe there.)

The passenger manifest for Teresa's immigration indicates that she was going to Leetonia to be married, but I have been unable to trace her there.

Ralph disappears after about 1920.

If anyone any information about these people, particularly Francesco and Carmina in Rogliano, I would be grateful to receive it.

Re: Gabriele Family from Rogliano to Leetonia, Ohio

Posted: 3 Jan 2008 5:40AM GMT
Surnames: Gabriele
my great-grandfather arrived at ellis island in 1893 from rogliano,italy. he arrived aboard the neustria with a group of guys one of which is a guiseppe gabriele, approx. 23 yrs. old at the time. all heading for philadelphia. also he is listed as a boarder, in the altomari household, on the 1900 u.s. census (phila.) along with one vincent gabriele, who is just 14 yrs. old at the time. i know you posted awhile ago, if your still looking, hope this might help!
p.s.- ralph would be raffaele.

Posted: 11 Feb 2008 1:39AM GMT
Surnames: Gabriele, Fionda, Sottile
Thanks for this. It seems the names in my family of Gabrieles are not uncommon. The ones who arrived with your family are probably too old. However, the tip that Ralph was probable Raffaele is a great tid-bit. Appreciate your post. I did discover that the maiden name of Francesco Gabriele's wife was Carmina Sottile, if that rings any bells.

Posted: 27 Aug 2008 2:28AM GMT
I have a Domenico Gabriele born at Rogliano 18 Aug 1877 to Leonardo Gabriele, b 1832 (son of Stefano) and of Maria Carmela Sottile, b 1855 (dau of Michele). On a World War I draft registration Dominic Gabriel of 11 Oak St., Leetonia gave his birthdate as 19 Aug 1877 at Rogliano. There were not two Domenico Gabrieles born in Rogliano on sequential days, only the one born to Leonardo. It may be that he went by Francesco. Everything else makes sense that it would be correct to be Francesco as the eldest son of Domenico and Agata was Francesco. The first daughter was Carmela which aligns with the Maria Carmela Sottile.

The children of Leonardo Gabriele and Maria Carmela Sottile were as follows:
DOMENICO ---------- 18 AUG 1877
ROSARIO ---------- 20 APR 1879
CARMINA TERESINA -- 15 SEP 1881
RAFFAELA ---------- 6 APR 1888 (I'll check agn maybe this
was RAFFAELE, a male)
ANGELO ------------ 14 AUG 1892
ANTONIO ----------- 28 AUG 1897
CARMINE ----------- 15 DEC 1899
I'll also have to look again for Giuseppe in 1890.
respond to leniacono@hotmail.com

Posted: 27 Aug 2008 5:49AM GMT
Surnames: Gabriel; Gabriele
Thank you for this exciting information. There are no Leonardo children in the American Gabriele family, though as you point out the eldest son of the eldest son Dominic/Dominico was named Francesco. Also, if Leonardo were born in 1832 he would have been some 25 years older than his wife and about 67 when his youngest son was born. Some of the other children you mention are unknown to the American family - I wonder if they died young?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic