Search for content in message boards

Ariano di Puglia: Sampietro (b1904) & Maniscalco (b1878), related to Bongo by marriage

Ariano di Puglia: Sampietro (b1904) & Maniscalco (b1878), related to Bongo by marriage

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 11:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2012 12:15AM GMT
Surnames: Sampietro Sanpietro Maniscalco Miniscalco Bongo
I'm wondering if anyone has come across these two surnames in their research of Ariano di Puglia. Rosina "Rose" Sampietro (many spelling variations in US records) was my husband's grandmother, born 25 Apr 1904 in Ariano. Her mother was Maria Maniscalco (Miniscalco and even Menescate in other records), born about 1878, also in Ariano. Rose's father's name is unknown. Maria married Oto/Otino Bongo, born 29 Jun 1885, also in Ariano, sometime before the family immigrated to Dedham, Massachusetts in April 1914 (passenger record attached), possibly around 1908-1909.

Rose also had 3 half siblings: Gaetana "Catherine" Bongo, born 16 Nov 1908 in Ariano (cannot yet confirm whether Maria Maniscalco was her mother, or if Maria married Oto after Gaetana was born); Eleanor "Helen" Bongo, born 26 Oct 1914 in Dedham; and Michael Bongo, born 9 Apr 1918 in Dedham.

If anyone recognizes these names or has current access to Ariano records from this period, please let me know. I am just starting my search on this branch of my husband's family. Thank you!

Re: Ariano di Puglia: Sanpietro (b1904) & Maniscalco (b1878), related to Bongo by marriage

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 11:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2012 12:14AM GMT
Surnames: Sanpietro Sampietro Maniscalco Miniscalco Bongo Capozzi Manganiello
Forgot to attach the immigration record I have - here it is - as well as a few additional details. As far as I can tell, Oto immigrated alone in 1911; perhaps this was the return trip with his wife and children. The family appears on lines 10-13 of both pages of the passenger record, attached.

Michele Bongo of Ariano, Oto's father, is listed as his closest relative in Italy, and Angelone Capozzi, brother-in-law, is listed as closest relative in the US (5 North Sq, Boston). When Oto first immigrated, he listed brother-in-law Michele Manganiello (3 North Sq, Boston) as his closest relative in the US.

Bongo, Sampietro, Capozzi and Manganiello all seem to be Ariano names - I'm guessing that Capozzi and Manganiello might have been married to Oto's sisters, although I suppose they could have been related by marriage through Maria, instead.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions