Search for content in message boards

Thramers from Hangenstein(?)

Thramers from Hangenstein(?)

Tom Thelen (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2005 10:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am searching for the place of origin and ancestors of Josef Thramer supposedly born 20 Jun 1838 in Hangenstein, Austria. I cannot find a town on the map the nearest match being a Hangendensten on the border with Germany. In looking at the LDS database there is only one entry for a Thramer that was married to a Kramer. Could the name Thramer have come about due to a mispelling?

Josef married Caroline Tilecher(born 23 Apr 1834 in Hangenstein) and came to Nebraska and died in Ewing, Nebraska 14 Apr 1913. The couple had 3 children of which I am aware: Maria Therese (born 8 sept 1861 in Austria) , Joseph Karl (born 14 sept 1859 Austria) and Caroline (born 1865 in ?).

Maria Therese married Bernard Konert in 1878 in Humphrey, Nebraska and died in 1940.

I would appreciate any information on the ancestors of Josef Thramer, whether the name was Kramer or Thramer or ? and what the town or village name was if not Hangenstein and where it is.

Thank you.

Re: Thramers from Hangenstein(?)

Posted: 7 Dec 2005 5:46AM GMT
I am researching Konert, and Vandewalle for a friend. Bernard Konert born March 27, 1836 in Prussia married Maria Thramer about 1877. The notation is that she was born in Austria 8 September 1862 and died 4 April 1940. This information came from her daughter Antonetta Konert Pflaum (now deceased) and is spelled Thramer in their information. Antonetta's husband John kept a little book with all their information in it. It also lists all of Bernard and Maria's children. I would appreciate any information you have on the Thramer's wdavy@neb.rr.com lists the parentage. The children's list coincides with the Pflaum book.

Posted: 7 Dec 2005 5:54AM GMT
Tom, I just looked at John Pflaum's little book. He has listed Paul Thelen to Bernadine Meyer June 21, 1941. He also has Charles Thelen to Ora Mitchell. Are you related? Dorothy

Posted: 8 Dec 2005 7:53PM GMT
Tom,

can't help you with the place name, unfortunately.

> Could the name Thramer have come about due to a mispelling? <

Actually YES! The Ellis Island page has a Marie Thramer in the database, arrived in 1896 at age of 22. A closer inspection of the scanned page though reveals that her name seems to have been Kramer ! Th and K in handwriting actually look quite similar. Look at http://tinyurl.com/afvj2 and enlarge the page ...

I couldn't open the second page for her thus didn't see any details about her origins - she was registered on the manifest as 'German'.

Tilman

Martin Pytr (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2006 7:56PM GMT
Dear Sir,

my name is Martin Pytr, I live in Czech Repulic, at Morkov, Moravia.
In Moravia exists village Skaly, former German name was HANGENSTEIN.
Moravia was part of Austrian Empire in 19th century, and Moravian immigrants often proclaimed Austria as their country of origin.
It is possible that your ancestors came from Hangenstein (today Skaly), at Moravia.
Moravia is part of Czech Republic, now. Border areas of the Czech Republic, were inhabitated by German speaking people until 1945. Hangenstein (today Skaly), were also situated at German speaking area of Moravia.

I am a full-time genealogical researcher and if you wish, I can do researching for your ancestors. I started my business 5 years ago and searched for tens of American clients, already. I am ready to check church vital records (birth, wedding, death) of Hangenstein (today Skaly), stored in Regional Archive at Olomouc.

If you will find this idea interesting, let me know, please.

Martin Pytr, CZ
maxi@raz-dva.cz

Posted: 29 Sep 2009 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: Thelen, Thamer, Konert, Sholz
Paul and Charles Thelen were sons of Ernst Thelen and Rosalia Anna Konert. Both are deceased. On this board is a newspaper article on Charles Thelen, he having died in 1981. Paul and Charles had two sisters one of whom died young (Bertha) and one who is still alive. Paul had a son and Charles had an adopted daughter. There is an ancestry chart for Rosalia at:

http://gw5.geneanet.org/index.php3?b=stockheim&lang=en;p...

Bernard was a common name for Konerts/Conerts in Westphalia. Interestingly, Bernard appears to have been born in 1846 and not 1836 as the month and day are the same. He also had a sibling in Nebraska which corresponds with the parentage of the 1846 Bernard using IGI Mormon records.

The middle name for Ernst I do not know. It could have been Franz (he had a brother with this name) or Florentius or some other unknown. I suspect (as others have mentioned) the name Thramer probably should have been Kramer but the "Th" were hard to read and mistaken for "K". I have seen other mispellings originate in church books and carried down for some generations. If one looks
at the Mormon database there are very few "Thramers".

As another has mentioned I believe the Thramers are from
Moravia. The mother-in-law of Rosalia had the surname of
Scholz and was born in Brauseifen not far from Hagenstein. I seem to recall the railroads were looking for settlers to come to new areas they were opening and advertised heavily in the Bohemia/Moravia areas. There were a number of Scholzes in Shelby, NE whom probably all related but I do
not know the parents of Therese Scholz (of which there appear to be several).

Posted: 11 Nov 2013 8:41AM GMT
Surnames: Thramer, Weiser
I have no information about Thramers from Hangenstein, but one of my ancestors is Catharina Thramer who married Heinrich Weiser and lived in Unterlangendorf, Moravia, Austria (today Dolní Dlouha Loucka, Czech Republic), which is about 300 km east of Hangenstein. The surname is very rare in the church records of this village, but it clearly exists.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic