Search for content in message boards

McCarthys in Mitchelsttown

McCarthys in Mitchelsttown

Posted: 18 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 May 2006 4:58AM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy
Would like to exchange information about the McCarthys of Mitchelstown. John McCarthy (b.1795) married Honora Sullivan and their children were: Dennis (b. c1815); Thomas (b.1817) in Marshallstown; Johana (b. 1819) in Marshallstown); Patrick (b. 1822; Timothy (b. c1824) in Knockagarry; Mary (b.1826) in Knockagarry; Honora (b.c1828 in Knockagarry and Daniel born 1830.

Most of the children were in America by 1835.

If anyone is interested in this family please contact me.

Thanks.

McCarthys Mitchelstown

Posted: 19 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2002 10:05PM GMT
One of my great-great-grandfather's sisters married a McCarthy. Johanna (Joan) Roche of Castleterry, Ballindangan, Mitchelstown, married Patrick McCarthy, probably in the 1830's. Their daughter Ellen was born in 1835 in the parish of Mitchelstown, followed by Mary in 1840, Bess, JOhn in 1847, Johanna in 1852, Kitty, and Michael. McCarthy Baptismal sponsors included Mary, Patrick, Julia, and Elizabeth. Families they married into:
Lee, Rea, Moher, Keefe, and Luddy.

Re: McCarthys in Mitchelsttown

Barbara Lopez (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2001 6:58PM GMT
I'm looking for information on Timothy McCarthy. He emigrated from Ireland to US (possibly through Virginia?) and settled in Ann Arbor Michigan by 1864. The Timothy you mentioned is about the right age. Can you tell me anything about him and his descendants? Thanks so much.

M Parker (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2004 11:40PM GMT
New address for Martha Parker
parker2005@wavecable.com

Posted: 15 Nov 2007 4:03PM GMT
I am also researching my relatives from Mitchelstown, Dennis McCarthy born in 1775, married Johanna Dillon around 1800 and emigrated to Canada in 1825. Their children were Mary, Owen, Patrick, John, William (my ggrandfather), Johanna and Ellen. They lived in Douro, Ontario, Canada. Do any of these names fit with your ancestors?

Posted: 28 Nov 2007 7:48PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy, Sullivan
I am also researching a Timothy McCarthy who was born about 1824 in Cork. From comparing to other family trees, I believe he came from Knockagarry, married someone named Mary, and moved to America between 1830 and 1854. He is my great great great grandfather. I would love to exchange information with anyone who is researching the same line.

Timothy, who went by Tim later in life, told him son Michael, who told my great aunt Bonnie, that the family is descended from the king of Munster. I doubt it to be true, but it is worth repeating.

He settled in Indiana and Michael was born in 1865, so it is possible that a link is missing in the family history there (since Tim would have been 40), which would account for the number of chilren I have found references to (10). Michael later moved to Wyoming after having Blair Blodgett (my great grandfather) who instead moved to Virginia and had Thomas Blair (my grandfather) who lived in a dozen states throughout his life.

Re: McCarthys in Mitchelstown

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 5:02PM GMT
Surnames: Mc Carthy
You could check the 1901 or 1911 census in Ireland at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
Searching mc carthy; co. cork; electoral district (DED)Mitchelstown in the 1901 census gets 45 hits (including a William, Ellen and Bridget McCarthy, who are brother and sisters, all in their 50's, living in Thomas St., Mitchelstown). If you know what part of the town or townland Denis was from that would help narrow it down, especially if members of the family were still there in 1901.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 10:02AM GMT
http://historicgraves.com/ has data from surveys of some Irish graveyards including Marshalstown and Brigown (Mitchelstown) where some McCarthys are buried. There is a good search facility on the site.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 12:42PM GMT
Hi, I have a public tree on my McCarthy's from Mitchelstown if you would like to look at it and let me know if you find any useful information. Maureen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic