Search for content in message boards

Ryans, Carrolls, Maghers of Newport, tipp

Ryans, Carrolls, Maghers of Newport, tipp

Posted: 7 Sep 2013 2:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ryan, carroll, magher
My convict ancestor Catharina Ryan baptised Newport RC, tipp 9/1/1804 parents Cornelius Ryan, Maria Carroll, spons. Thomas Ryan, Marian Magher. I believe this to be my family. I have found a marriage for the same day, same parish for Michael Ryan and Maria Carroll. Could it be the same man? There is a Latin word I think Laonenji after Michael's surname. Could it mean Killaloe? Any clues or family links? Thanks guys!

Re: Ryans, Carrolls, Maghers of Newport, tipp

Posted: 8 Sep 2013 5:58PM GMT
They could be related.

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 3:04AM GMT
Thank you.I'm afraid I have no other info for Catherine in Ireland other than she was convicted of manslaughter at Clonmell Assizes in 1828 and was transported to NSW. She came from Newport and on her death cert. her parents are listed as Cornelius Ryan, farmer and Mary Anne Carroll.

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 3:33AM GMT
Hi, You can write to the Catholic Church in Newport, They have some Births, Deaths & Marriage records that go back to the late 1700's. Ask about Ryans & Carrolls. There were a lot of Ryans in the Birdhill and O'Briens Bridge area. You could also email the Library in Clonmell and ask if thet have any information about the trial. Also try Libraries Around the Newport area, Nenagh & a couple of more, Check on the Rootsweb Site run by Pat Connors.

Bob Ryan

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 8:29AM GMT
Thanks again, Bob. Have tried some of your suggestions without much success but will try others. I like the library idea.
Cheers!
Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic