Search for content in message boards

Jeremiah Ryan (c.1836-??) of Castleconnell, Limerick, Ireland

Jeremiah Ryan (c.1836-??) of Castleconnell, Limerick, Ireland

Posted: 13 Sep 2013 4:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ryan, McMahon, Froon or Freen
I am looking for information about Jeremiah Ryan, born in Castleconnell, Limerick, Ireland c.1834 to Jeremiah Ryan (Farmer) and Catherine Froon (or Freen - marriage registry is hard to read).

Jeremiah Ryan married Mary McMahon in 3 Nov 1858, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
Mary McMahon born in Clare, Ireland c.1836 to Patrick McMahon (Farmer) and Julia Skehane.
Jeremiah and Mary both lived at Church Hill, Sydney, New South Wales at the time of their marriage.

They moved to Victoria, Australia c.1862. They had 9 children - Patrick (c.1860-??), Catherine Agnes (c.1862-1889), Jeremiah (1862-1928), Mary Teresa (1864-1944), Anne (1866-1867), Joseph Charles (1867-1939), Thomas Patrick (1867-1922), Michael Henry Augustus/Augustine (1872-1915), Elizabeth (1873-1949 or later).

Jeremiah worked as a wood/timber and coal merchant, labourer and farmer in Bungaree, Dead Horse, Woodend and North Melbourne (Hotham) areas of Victoria, Australia. There is also a possibility the family spent some time in Bendigo but I have not been able to confirm any details.

Jeremiah gave evidence in Brunswick Court (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia) on 16 May 1883. This is the last trace I have found, however, there are newspaper advertisements for a wood and coal merchant named John Ryan in the Melbourne area.

Mary died in Hotham, Victoria, Australia on 10 Dec 1897. Any information about her family would also be appreciated.

Jeremiah Ryan and Mary McMahon both signed documents with their mark, X.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
CC

Re: Jeremiah Ryan (c.1836-??) of Castleconnell, Limerick, Ireland

Posted: 13 Sep 2013 5:49PM GMT
I can suggest two things that might help you. 1. The name Fruen still exists in Castleconell and the surrounding townlands. 2. Contact the Library in County Clare they have a wealth of information of the time frame that you are interested in.

Good luck

Bob Ryan

Re: Jeremiah Ryan (c.1836-??) of Castleconnell, Limerick, Ireland

Posted: 16 Sep 2013 3:10PM GMT
Thanks Bob. Handy to know the name is still in the area too.

Regards
CC

Re: Jeremiah Ryan (c.1836-??) of Castleconnell, Limerick, Ireland - More information

Posted: 15 Nov 2013 8:05PM GMT
Update - I have found a marriage record for Jeremiah Ryan and Catherine Frewin. They were married in St Mary's parish, Limerick on 9 January 1827.

I also found 2 birth records. One is for George Ryan (son of Jeremiah Ryan and Catherine Frewen), he was baptised/christened in St Mary's parish on 26 July 1827. The other is Thomas Ryan (son of Patrick Ryan and Catherine Freuen) from Cully. He was baptised/christened in Newport parish, Tipperary on 1 November 1840.

Is Cully near Culley Rocks, Tipperary?
Does anyone have information about these people?

Thanks
CC
per page

Find a board about a specific topic