Search for content in message boards

Ontario, NY connections

Ontario, NY connections

Posted: 14 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Oct 2001 11:34PM GMT
Surnames: GROVER, INGRAHAM, PORTER
I'm searching for information on a FRIEND INGRAHAM, B. abt 1760 who is supposed to be buried in a cemetery in Bristol, Ontario, NY.

Also any info on Joseph GROVER,JR. b. 1789, d. 3-21-1818, 1st husband to my 3rd great grandmother, Phila PORTER. Phila married my 3rd great grandfather Ira INGRAHAM after the death of Joseph. Joseph and Phila GROVER had daughters, 3 of whom are buried in the Bristol Center Cemetery, Ontario Cty, NY with only the notation "3 infants of Joseph L. JR. & Phila Sophia, 1813, 1814, 1816." Phila moved to Granger, Medina, OH around 1820 with her 2 surviving daughters, Emily and Angeline.

I am also searching for Phila's father, MOSES PORTER. There are a number of PORTERS listed in Ontario Cty and perhaps one of them would be family to Phila.

I would be happy to exchange info with anyone who has further information on any one of these three families.

James and Sophia GROVER

Dick Travis (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: TRAVIS, SMITH, ROOD, VINCENT, DONAHUE, GROVER
I do not have anything directly about Joseph L. GROVER Jr. but I do have some information that may give you another place to look. My 3g-grandmother was Joanna GROVER whom I guess is an aunt to Joseph Jr. While trying to sort out the GROVERs yesterday, I came to the conclusion that Sophia lived with the CODDING family when she got older. At least she appears with the CODDINGs in the 1850 and 1965 census lists.

I would be interested in information you have on Joseph GROVER Sr. I know he was the minister of the Congregationalist Church that used to be on Route 64 in Bristol but I do not know who his parents were.

Good Luck.

Moses Porter

Ginny Porter (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Morse, Welsh, Alverson
Researching a Moses Porter who moved from Bristol, Ontario County, NY to Metamora, Lapeer County, MI. He was married twice, first to Mercy Deming and then to Euzubia Perkins. I only know of two of the nine children from his first marriage, Ezra Porter and Francis Porter Bullock. The names of the children from the second marriage were, Louisa Porter Simmons, Permelia Porter, Moses Green Porter, Sophronia Porter Pitcher, and marilla Porter Morse. Would this be the same PORTER you were looking for? I would be happy to exchange any information I have.

Moses Porter

Posted: 25 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: PORTER, INGRAHAM, PIXLEY, GROVER
My information on MOSES PORTER is rather sketchy. Family information states that he served in the Revolutionary War with George Washington for 8 years, that his ancestors were among the founders of Hartford, Connecticut. He is father to my 3rd great grandmother, PHILA SOPHIA PORTER, who married the first time to JOSEPH GROVER on 11 Dec 1810 in BRISTOL, ONTARIO, N.Y. After his death she married my 3rd great grandfather, IRA INGRAHAM, on 11 May 1822 in Medina County, Ohio and died 25 Mar 1842 in Delaware County, Indiana. Other children I have for MOSES PORTER (spouse unknown) is HARVEY PORTER born 10 Mar 1795 in BRISTOL, ONTARIO, N.Y.;JEHIEL or JEKIAL PORTER, born 9 Mar 1800 in Bristol and EZRA PORTER, birth date and place unknown.

If this sounds as though my MOSES PORTER would fit yours, I would very much appreciate exchanging information.

Grover/Porter

Posted: 25 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: GROVER, PORTER, INGRAHAM, PIXLEY
I'm sorry to be so late in responding. I just recently returned to this site and found your message.

Family information I have on JOSEPH GROVER, JR. is that he and my 3rd great grandmother, PHILA SOPHIA PORTER, were married 11 Dec 1810 in BRISTOL, ONTARIO, NY, that they had 5 children, 3 of whom are buried at the Bristol Center Cem, Bristol, Ontario, New York. JOSEPH, JR. died 21 Mar 1818 in Bristol. Phila than moved with two of her brothers to Granger, Medina, Ohio where she married by 3rd great grandfather IRA INGRAHAM and they had 3 children. Phila died 25 Mar 1842 in Delaware County, Indiana.

I don't know anything more than you stated in your message regarding JOSEPH GROVER, SR. However, my Sophia could not be the one you refer to as being with the Codding Family in 1850 as she had died prior to that date.

Thank you for your response.

Re: Moses Porter

Posted: 2 Aug 2002 12:59AM GMT
Moses Porter's son Jehiel Porter had a son "William Henry Porter" William was born in Medina Co. Ohio 24 Aug 1834 He married Mary Alice Cutsforth in Columbia Co. WI 14 May 1865 and died in Chippewa Falls Co. WI 10 Dec 1834. Can anyone tell me more about Moses?

Posted: 2 Aug 2002 1:03AM GMT
The death date for William Henery Porter was 10 Dec 1915 not 10 Dec 1834.

Posted: 23 Jun 2003 6:53AM GMT
Surnames: Perkins, Portor
I am not related to Moses Portor. I am doing a website on the surname of PERKINS in MI and know only the information from that line. I have......

Euzubia (Chamberlain) Perkins m. 2nd. Moses Portor

Does anyone happen to know the first name of her first husband, Mr. Perkins ?

Sincerely,
Denise Perkins Ready

Re: Ontario, NY connections

Posted: 9 Jul 2004 2:54PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jan 2005 8:38PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Morse, Perkins
Moses Porter and his descendants are discussed in an article entitled "The Porter Morse Family" in the Spring 2004 Morse Society Newsletter (see MorseSociety.org). Included is the following: "Moses Porter moved from Bristol Ontario County New York where he was choir leader in the Old School Presbyterian Church for 30 years. He drove through from Bristol to Lapeer County, Michigan in the fall of 1838 and settled near Metamora. He was accompanied on this trip by his son and daughter, Moses Greene and Eunice Marilla." The article goes on to describe interesting details, stories and information on family descendants.

Additional information on Moses and other Porters can be found in “Metamora Among the Hills,” a history of Metamora that was written in 1979. It also contains information on the Morse and Perkins families mentioned in the Morse Society newsletter. For example:

Moses Porter lived in Thornville, about three miles east of Metamora. He is one of the trustees on the deed of the Thornville Baptist Church that was built in 1843. The church is still in use today. His home “at the foot of Cemetery Hill” may have once housed the Metamora post office. An M. A. Porter was elected a Metamora Township highway commissioner in 1838, and a Moses Porter is listed as a veteran of the Revolutionary War.

Other Porters in the book include: Albert (a Civil War veteran), Alvin (a tavern owner in 1847), and Mason (c. 1866).

John L. Morse was the original settler (1833) of Farmers Creek, a community just west of Metamora. He was its first postmaster (1837).

Joseph B. Morse was the second known settler of Metamora Township, arriving in 1833. He was a postmaster in Farmers Creek (1837) and an early Metamora Township assessor (1838). During the time of the Black Hawk War, his wife “was not afraid of the Indians,” unlike other neighbor women. The Morse and two other families “lived alone for a year, shut in on all sides by the wilderness, the wolves boldly howling around all night. One day … a masculine squaw came to the door demanding provisions. Mrs. Morse refused, whereupon the squaw brandished her knife, telling them they would all be murdered that night. … finally she (the squaw) left, leaving behind a terrified household. The gun was quickly loaded and everything collected that could serve as a weapon of defense … .”

Richard Morse (Mors) was a carpenter in New York. He came to Metamora in 1843 and purchased 120 acres of “wild” land and eventually owned 400 acres. At one point he owned an early town hotel. He married Jerusha Cooley in 1843 and they had five children. Portrait photographs of Richard and Jerusha are in the book.

Others Morses cited in the book include: Anna (c. 1948), Clarence R. (b. 1862), “Miss C.” (teacher, c. 1839), Cooley and wife Lottie, (c. 1900), Della M. (a teacher, c. 1880), Elizabeth (m. Comstock 1840), Florence (teacher in 1902, 1906 basketball team photo), Genevieve (school photo), George C. (lawyer and one of the original Metamora Village trustees, b. 1847), Grant (school photos, a WWII veteran), John (c. 1931), John G. (c. 1849-1897), Juliette (b. 1844), Lorenzo D. (c. 1843), Lucia (m. Reuben Underwood, 1837) , Marcia C. (a teacher, c. 1840), Marion (c. 1910), Marion O. (b. 1850, a school director), and Orville C. (c. 1850-1860).

Perkins in the book include: Benjamin F. (c. 1862), Bessie (1880-1955), Eva (b. 1857), Florence (c. 1896), Harry F. (1810-1889, came to Metamora Township in 1837, the first postmaster of the Etna post office in 1841), James O. (b. 1843) and wife Louisa Hoard (one time operators of the Hoard House which is now the well known and still operating White Horse Inn restaurant), and Mabel A. (teacher in 1901).

“Metamora Among the Hills” is still available for purchase. The hardcover book costs $20 (which includes a separate index, postage and handling) and can be obtained by sending a check to: Metamora Historical Society, P.O. Box 22, Metamora, MI 48455.
Posted: 9 Jul 2004 3:02PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jan 2005 8:38PM GMT
Moses Porter and his descendants are discussed in an article entitled "The Porter Morse Family" in the Spring 2004 Morse Society Newsletter (see MorseSociety.org). Included is the following: "Moses Porter moved from Bristol Ontario County New York where he was choir leader in the Old School Presbyterian Church for 30 years. He drove through from Bristol to Lapeer County, Michigan in the fall of 1838 and settled near Metamora. He was accompanied on this trip by his son and daughter, Moses Greene and Eunice Marilla." The article goes on to describe interesting details, stories and information on family descendants.

Additional information on Moses and other Porters can be found in “Metamora Among the Hills,” a history of Metamora that was written in 1979. It also contains information on the Morse and Perkins families mentioned in the Morse Society newsletter. For example:

Moses Porter lived in Thornville, about three miles east of Metamora. He is one of the trustees on the deed of the Thornville Baptist Church that was built in 1843. The church is still in use today. His home “at the foot of Cemetery Hill” may have once housed the Metamora post office. An M. A. Porter was elected a Metamora Township highway commissioner in 1838, and a Moses Porter is listed as a veteran of the Revolutionary War.

Other Porters in the book include: Albert (a Civil War veteran), Alvin (a tavern owner in 1847), and Mason (c. 1866).

John L. Morse was the original settler (1833) of Farmers Creek, a community just west of Metamora. He was its first postmaster (1837).

Joseph B. Morse was the second known settler of Metamora Township, arriving in 1833. He was a postmaster in Farmers Creek (1837) and an early Metamora Township assessor (1838). During the time of the Black Hawk War, his wife “was not afraid of the Indians,” unlike other neighbor women. The Morse and two other families “lived alone for a year, shut in on all sides by the wilderness, the wolves boldly howling around all night. One day … a masculine squaw came to the door demanding provisions. Mrs. Morse refused, whereupon the squaw brandished her knife, telling them they would all be murdered that night. … finally she (the squaw) left, leaving behind a terrified household. The gun was quickly loaded and everything collected that could serve as a weapon of defense … .”

Richard Morse (Mors) was a carpenter in New York. He came to Metamora in 1843 and purchased 120 acres of “wild” land and eventually owned 400 acres. At one point he owned an early town hotel. He married Jerusha Cooley in 1843 and they had five children. Portrait photographs of Richard and Jerusha are in the book.

Others Morses cited in the book include: Anna (c. 1948), Clarence R. (b. 1862), “Miss C.” (teacher, c. 1839), Cooley and wife Lottie, (c. 1900), Della M. (a teacher, c. 1880), Elizabeth (m. Comstock 1840), Florence (teacher in 1902, 1906 basketball team photo), Genevieve (school photo), George C. (lawyer and one of the original Metamora Village trustees, b. 1847), Grant (school photos, a WWII veteran), John (c. 1931), John G. (c. 1849-1897), Juliette (b. 1844), Lorenzo D. (c. 1843), Lucia (m. Reuben Underwood, 1837) , Marcia C. (a teacher, c. 1840), Marion (c. 1910), Marion O. (b. 1850, a school director), and Orville C. (c. 1850-1860).

Perkins in the book include: Benjamin F. (c. 1862), Bessie (1880-1955), Eva (b. 1857), Florence (c. 1896), Harry F. (1810-1889, came to Metamora Township in 1837, the first postmaster of the Etna post office in 1841), James O. (b. 1843) and wife Louisa Hoard (one time operators of the Hoard House which is now the well known and still operating White Horse Inn restaurant), and Mabel A. (teacher in 1901).

“Metamora Among the Hills” is still available for purchase. The hardcover book costs $20 (which includes a separate index, postage and handling) and can be obtained by sending a check to: Metamora Historical Society, P.O. Box 22, Metamora, MI 48455.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions