Search for content in message boards

Todd clan

Todd clan

Tom Todd (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2000 5:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 May 2009 1:49AM GMT
Greetings to the Clan! I have the Todd Family Crest on jpg and will send it free of charge with a windy oration on the meaning of the Todd name. God Bless, Tom Todd, Commerce City, Colorado onlyatest@uswest.net

Todd crest

Diana Thornton (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2000 12:49PM GMT
Curious to know which Todd crest (or do you mean the complete arms?) you have and what explanation you have for the name.

Todd Crest

Tom Todd (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2000 2:47PM GMT
Dianne; It is a shield with three foxes, green border, and a helmet with fluff.
The name Todd was originally, "tod de troix"
pronounced "todd duh twa" which in the old Celtic Bretonic means "fox of three"

Todd Crest

Posted: 21 May 2000 9:12PM GMT
It's the same as Christopher's then. On a field Ar with a bordure vert, three foxes heads couped gules. Crest: on a cap of maintainence a fox sejant proper. Motto. Opertet Vivere. The helmet is in profile and grilled with a furred mantle.

Todd crest

Posted: 21 May 2000 9:14PM GMT
Oh, thank you for your explanation. I have read several theories. Yours confirms the celtic origins. It makes sense since the name appears in Normandy prior to its appearance in England.

Todd Crest

Tom Todd (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2000 9:25PM GMT
That's the one! I had the motto wrong. Do you know the meaning of opertet? Tom

name

Tom Todd (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2000 9:28PM GMT
There is a popular misconception that the Breton were English stock, but they were really Celts, and while in France, they intermarried with the Viking types coming down from the North, and were totally infatuated with them. France was originally named for them, and the French language is from the same root as Gaelic.

Todd crest

Posted: 23 May 2000 11:19AM GMT
I am not sure what opertet means specifically. I have heard that the motto means either 'we shall live' or 'we shall perservere'.

Todd name

Posted: 23 May 2000 11:22AM GMT
Great! It looks as though you have done alot of research on this. I am glad to have met you. You have helped me to understand this better, it was confusing. Thanks for your help.

Todd descendent

Posted: 23 May 2000 11:24AM GMT
By the way, are you a descendent of Christopher Todd? I know there were a few in Colorado.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions