Search for content in message boards

Rockcastle Kentucky, TYREES

Rockcastle Kentucky, TYREES

Posted: 20 Nov 2010 3:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for Tyrees whos lineage comes out of the Rockcastle Kentucky area to further define our Tyree Branch and meet genetic cousins, also any other Tyrees looking to find there lineage or branch are welcome.

Re: Rockcastle Kentucky, TYREES

Posted: 20 Nov 2010 5:43PM GMT
Rockcastle Tyree here. My line is Louisa, dau. of William and Lucy Osborne Tyree. Louisa md. Jesse B. Wallen about 1849. Louisa is oldest child, b. 1830. Mt. Vernon Signal newspaper of August 12, 1904 confirms her lineage as does my great grandfather's diary.

Posted: 20 Nov 2010 6:43PM GMT
Your William Tyree was the older brother of my Jesse Tyree Sr. Not to dispute your Luisa (oldest child) but I dont see her listed in the "Tyree Trail Book" It starts with Kiziah Tyree b. 1833..... I know this "Tyree Trail Book" has a few mistakes in it and this might be one more. For Tyrees who are interested we are putting together a Tyree DNA group, so people can find there lineage, through Ancestry.com
Your William was also an ordained minister of the Babtist faith and particiapated in the ordination of his brother, my great grandfather Jesse Tyree Sr.

Posted: 20 Nov 2010 10:13PM GMT
Yes...I am fully aware of the Tyree Trail. It was a great help in the early years but it not only contains errors, it doesn't have ALL the Tyrees, Louisa being one of those left out. Check the 1840 census for William and you will see there is an extra female in that age slot. Louisa married Jesse about 1849. The Tyrees and Wallens and others all appear to have migrated to KY together. Louisa and her father William lived close together and William married Martha Francisco, Louisa's neighbor and the family with which they share the Wallen/Francisco cemetery.

The Mt. Vernon Signal tells of a visit of "Mrs. Louisa Wallen of Wabd" to her SISTER Mrs. John Sowder. Mrs. John Sowder, we know, is Elizabeth Tyree dau. of William and Lucy. Elizabeth first married John Wallen and had 3 children. John died and Elizabeth married John Sowder. Elizabeth's sister Sarah Tyree married John Wallen's brother James and Louisa herself told her granddaughter of her sisters marrying Wallen brothers. Louisa Tyree Wallen, my 3rd great grandmother was the ONLY "Mrs. Louisa Wallen" living in Wabd.

Also Jesse Tyree Sr.'s daughters Rebecca and Sarah who married GENTRYs were both first cousins of Louisa according to my great grandfather and also Sam C. Tyree son of David Jr. All these four "cousins" got together along with Sam's two little girls and other family members at the Wallen homestead according to my great grandfather's diary written on the day of the event (1904).

I am aware that William and Jesse were Baptist Ministers but I didn't know William participated in Jesse's ordination. Thanks! Do you have particular documentation for that?

I would gladly participate in any DNA group if you are including female DNA. Just tell me what I need to do.

Lisa Wallen Logsdon

Posted: 20 Nov 2010 11:54PM GMT
Surnames: Tyre, Tyra, Tyree, Tire
Is there any evidence to connect the Floyd, Montgomery, Breathitt & Wolfe Co, KY Tyre/Tyra/Tyree to your Rockcastle, KY Tyrees? Pamela Cartwright seemed to think that our Breathitt Co line married into the Rockcastle lines. I cannot make contact with her to see how she ties them. If anyone can help with my Breathitt Co Tyra/Tyre origins I would me most grateful.
My earlies man is John Tyre/Tyra, perhaps a son of a Daniel Tyre who appears to have died young. I am really stuck. They may have come out of South Carolina???
Deb Slager
Polo, IL

Posted: 21 Nov 2010 3:27PM GMT
Hi... My husband is from this line and I'd like to get him a DNA test for Christmas. Did you have a particular provider that did yours?

I shot you a note on Ancestry.com as well.

Posted: 21 Nov 2010 6:58PM GMT
Hi Lisa,

Glad to meet you. Yeah, I got that information out of the "Tyree Trail Book" page 38, about William participating in the ordination of Jesse. Thanks for that information in that last message. I will print and save that. I am some what limited on my sources. A lot of what I know comes out of the "Tyree trail Book", however my Uncle did a lot of contributing to the Book and he spent many years researching our family genealogy. If you can email me I will send you a formal invitation to join the DNA group, Tyrees/Tyries. Female DNA would be fine...
My email address is: bigsky44@verizon.net

Thanks again! It is always great to hear from a cousin a few generations back.. Cavlin Joe

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 12:50AM GMT
Those counties are not to far from Rockcastle county and there were several John Tyrees in the Rockcastle line. Do you have any dates of birth and where?

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 3:26AM GMT
Surnames: Tyra, Tyre, Tyree, Simpson, Holland, Gibbs, Willoughby, Shepherd
The origins of my TYRA family before they arrive in Montgomery County, VA, Montgomery County, KY and Morgan, Floyd, Estill and Breathitt County, Kentucky in 1810-1820 is still up for debate. More documentation needs to be found.

Surnames: Tyre, Tyra, Tear, Tire, Tyree, Gibbs, Hollon, Holland, Simpkins

I have been doing some more census research on the possible parents of John Sr, Polly, & Elizabeth "Betsy" TYRA-TYRE-TIRE of Breathitt Co, KY.

I think that I have come upon a reasonable and probable set of parents. Based upon the birthdates and marriages of the children and census records:

Elizabeth “Betsy” Tyra, b. 1813 Montgomery Co, VA, d. 15 Feb 1900 Breathitt Co, now Wolfe Co, KY m. abt 1838 Estill Co, KY James HOLLON b. 1819 Morgan Co, KY
(son of George HOLLON & Elizabeth Mullins)
1st 3 children said to be born 1839, 1839, 1841 Breathitt Co, KY

John Tyra Sr, b. abt 1815, d. Bef. 1856, m. 24 Jan 1836 Morgan Co, KY Sarah “Sally” GIBBS (daughter of John GIBBS Jr & Elizabeth SHEPHERD) 24 Jan 1836
Performed by John ROSE who remained a neighbor. 1st child James Harvey Tyra b. abt 1836-1837 Estill Co, KY 3rd child Daniel Tyra b. abt 1841 Breathitt Co, KY

Polly Tyra, b. abt 1820 Morgan Co, KY, d. ?, m. 26 Jun 1831 Morgan Co, KY
Eli SIMPKINS b. abt 1820 probably Morgan Co, KY (son of ?? SIMPKINS)
Children: Nancy SIMPKINS b. Abt. 1833 Morgan Co, KY;
Jane SIMPKINS b. 24 Jan 1850 KY

John Sr's 2nd marriage to Polly Willoughby says his father was from South Carlina (S Carolina?). This is the only reference to date that lead me to look there for Tyra-Tyre.

Census M=male F=female

1800 Chesterfield, SC – William TEAR – possible father of Daniel Tyre - The is the only Tyre in Chesterfield, SC

1810 Chesterfield District, SC – Daniel Tyre –
3 M under 10 years - who are they?
1 M 26-45 probably Daniel Tyre
1 female 26-45 probably Sarah (maiden name unknown)

1820 Floyd Co, KY – Daniel Tyre –
1M under 10 John Tyre, age 5
1M 18-45 Daniel
1M over 45 possibly Daniel’s father or Sarah's?
1F under 10 Polly
1F 10-16 Elizabeth “Betsy”
1F 16-26 Sarah, wife of Daniel
Neighbors are William Banks, Henry Caudill
This is the only TYRE-TYRA in the county.

1830 Estill Co, KY – Sarah Tyre – head of household
1M 15-20 John Tyre, age 15
1F under 5 ?? Is this an illegit child (?) as Polly was married young in 1931
1F 15-20 Polly
1F 20-30 Elizabeth “Betsy”
1F 50-60 Sally Tyre, widow of Daniel
Neighbors are Andrew Pence, John Banks, John Holland (HOLLON), Wm Holland (HOLLON), Willis Brewer, William Hatton, David Banks,

1840 Breathitt Co, KY – John Tyre -
1M under 5 James Harvey Tyra
1M 20-30 John Tyra age 25
1F under 5 Polly Sally Tyra
1F 20-30 Sally GIBBS Tyra
1F 70-80 probably Sarah Tyre, Daniel's widow, Neighbors: near John Holland Sr, John Banks, Ambrose Holland, William Holland, Hiram Holland, Jackson Holland, John Holland, Andrew Pence

1850 Breathitt Co, KY, District 2 – John Tyra – age 35
John Tyra age 35 b. KY (1815)
Sally wife age 28 b. KY (1822)
James H. age 13 b. KY (1837)
Polly age 11 b. KY (1839)
Daniel age 9 b. KY (1841)
John age 7 b. KY (1844)
William age 6 b. KY (1843?)
Ebenezer age 5 b. KY (1846)
Eli J. / Elender age 4 b. KY (1848)
Asbury age 1, b. KY (1849)
Neighbors: John GIBBS (parents of Sally GIBBS Tyra) William W. Banks, William Banks, John Banks, John Hatton, John & Charity Holland (mother of William Holland), David Banks.

1860 Census - Breathitt County, Kentucky, District 2, Crocketsville,
Enumerated June 1, 1860, by J.D. Markum, Household 301
TYRE John
Sally Tyre, age 41, female, farmer, born in Garrard County, Kentucky;
Daniel, age 19, male, born in Breathitt County, Kentucky;
John, age 18, male, born in Breathitt County, Kentucky;
William, age 17, male, born in Breathitt County, Kentucky;
Ebenezer, age 16, male, born in Breathitt County, Kentucky;
Elender, age 13, female, born in Breathitt County, Kentucky;
Washington, age 9, male, born in Breathitt County, Kentucky;
Elizbth, age 7, female, born in Breathitt County, Kentucky;
Joanna, age 2, female, born in Breathitt County, Kentucky.

Any help on the line before 1840 would be very much appreciated. Is there any possibility that the above families were related to the Rockcastle Tyre?

Patty Cartwright was working on both my line and the Rockcastle lines as she thought she descended from a marriage between the two lines. I have not been able to contact her to find her research. Anyone have contact?

Deborah Slager
Polo, IL

Posted: 5 Oct 2011 5:17AM GMT
My Tyree line ends with Anderson Tyree born 1804 Kentucky I believe Madison. He married Elizabeth Butner Dec. 29, 1826. I cant find the book or his parents any help with this would be appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions