Search for content in message boards

No Family History

No Family History

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 11:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: West
I have next to no family history other than my parents and brothers. I cannot even seem to find my own parents Marriage certificate! Im pretty sure I found my grand father but now I am stuck. I can only find The death of my mom and only the 1940 census for my grandfather. How do I find more???

Re: No Family History

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 12:25AM GMT
I would first concentrate on either the family of your father or your mother. Check the death certificates of your parents to see if the names of their parents are listed. Are the names of their parents included in their obituaries?

As far as the marriage certificate for your parents if you did not find it in their personal papers after their death/s you will have to determine where they were married. Do you know where they resided when they married? Did you ever hear them talk about where they met? Do you know when your parents celebrated their anniversary?

Check with your siblings to find out what they know about your parents or grandparents. Do you have any living paternal and/or maternal uncles and aunts? Your paternal uncles and aunts should know the names of their parents. Your maternal uncles and aunts should also know the names of their parents.

If you have no living uncles or aunts talk to your cousins. Somebody in your family should know the names of their grandparents.

Good luck on your research. It's not easy at first, but with baby steps you will find out more than you know now.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 1:46AM GMT
Thank you for your reply, unfortunatly I have no family other than a younger brother never had any ever. But I do know I have a sister somewhere just no info. I do know the details of when and where my parents were married, but still see no record.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 1:58AM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2013 2:05AM GMT
Keep in mind if you are looking for the record on Ancestry.com the marriage databases do not include every single marriage within the United States.

If you know the details of when and where they were married you can order a copy of their marriage record from the county in which they were married.

Since you have found your maternal grandfather on the 1940 census you should have found his wife (your maternal grandmother) and their children. Their places of birth should also be listed.

If you are using the New Search function to search records for Ancestry.com I suggest you switch to the Old Search. You can find this by choosing Search All Records under the Search Tab. At the right hand side of the page under Gift Memberships there should be in small print: Go To Old Search. This search function will help narrow results.

Also, check with your local library or historical/genealogical society. The local library usually subscribes to the Library version of Ancestry.com. Many libraries have a day or evening when local volunteers are available to help genealogical researchers and sometimes librarians are also able to help. If you check with your local historical/genealogical societies you may find they offer sessions for those new to genealogical research.

Another good source for help are the Family History Centers which can be found here:

https://familysearch.org/locations

They have volunteers on staff who can help you find more on your family.

I think you would benefit from these free resources and in the process learn more about your family. Best of luck to you.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 2:13AM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2013 2:18AM GMT
You might have better luck posting your message in the Genealogy Help message board, which can be found here:

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.researchresources.genealog...

or the Newbies message board found here:

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.researchresources.newbies/...

I think your would find these tutorials helpful:

http://www.ancestry.com/cs/Satellite?childpagename=USLearnin...

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 4:36AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 5 Dec 2013 9:36AM GMT

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 5:51AM GMT
Where do I post it? I'm sorry I sound dense but I am so new to this, I have always wanted to search but didnt know it was even a possibility until I typed in my mom's dad name and saw a census. OMG I was just floored.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 6:10AM GMT
Here is what I know.... My mother was Evelyn Constance West born 12/12*1940 her father was Connie West, Mother Evlyn West. She was born In Joplin MO. She lied about every aspect of her life before me, but Ive gained little by little bits and pieces. She had a baby at age 15 in either Nov 1955 or March 1956, her brother ( I never knew she had a brother) took the child from her in approx 1957-1958 it was a girl father was Tommy Sapps.) She lived with her grandmother in Tampa Florida at some time, she told me her parents were killed in a car accident when she was 15, which I now know isnt true because of bits and pieces. She left that area when she was 19 (1959-1960) and came to Oregon. She never looked back never tried to find anyone or rarely ever talked about it. I have no pictures of my mom before 1970. I know she was Seminole Indian ( her dad) and French ( her mom). I know she had a sister name was Jeanette or Janet mom didnt know what happened to her, she just left ( so she said). I know I could be opening up an ugly can or worms But I just need to know, I have never had family, no aunts,uncles,cousins nothing I just need to know...... Thank you

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 4:35PM GMT
Here's Connie West and family in the 1930 census

Name: Connie D West
Birth Year: abt 1915
Birthplace: Missouri
Race: White
Home in 1930: Davis, Henry, Missouri
View Map
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: Clarance L West
Father's Birthplace: Missouri
Mother's Name: Claria M West
Mother's Birthplace: Missouri

Household Members:
Name Age
Clarance L West 43
Claria M West 32
Connie D West 15
Cody M West 14
Crystal P West 11
Jennie B West 10
Shirley M West 9
Barton L West 7
Lorrine V West 5
Leonard R West 3
Shannon L West 2
Macey T West 0
[3/12]

Here they are in the 1920 census:

Connie D West
Birth Year: abt 1915
Birthplace: Missouri
Home in 1920: Davis, Henry, Missouri
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Daughter ??????
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Clarence L West
Father's Birthplace: Missouri
Mother's Name: Clara M West
Mother's Birthplace: Missouri
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members:
Name Age
Clarence L West 32
Clara M West 23
Connie D West 5
Cody M West 4
[4 1/12]
Crystal P West 2
[2 3/12]
Jennie B West 0
[6/12]

Connie D. West died in Los Angeles in 1964:
This also gives his mother's maiden name.....

Name: Connie D West

Birth Date: 16 Dec 1913
Birth Place: Missouri
Death Date: 21 May 1964
Death Place: Los Angeles
Mother's Maiden Name: Lawrence

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 5:53PM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2013 6:12PM GMT
From a family tree:

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/5269681/person/6037852414?ssr...=

Parents of Connie West:
Clarence Leroy West born June 21 1887 Michigan; died January 1, 1941
1900 Census Springvale, Emmet, Michigan
1920 & 1930 Censuses Davis, Henry, Missouri
1940 Census Joplin, Jasper, Missouri

married to:

Claria M. West born Oct 1896 Missouri
1900 Census Cass, Texas, Missouri

You might want to contact the person who submitted the tree - they are a West family descendant.

To Contact click on the name; then click on the envelope found on the left side.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions