Search for content in message boards

Census misspellings and locality listings

Census misspellings and locality listings

Posted: 23 Oct 2011 5:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Oct 2011 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Viryan, Viogan,Vivyan
We have a fairly unique last name that continually gets transcribed inaccurately and so it is difficult to find census listings for several recordings. Is there a way to look at a specific locality to research if relatives are listed?

Last name is actually Vivyan - but because of deciphering handwriting the name has been spelled as Viryan, Viogan, and other variations. Many I have been able to find, but still odd that I can't find my father in the 1930 census!

Re: Census misspellings and locality listings

Posted: 23 Oct 2011 5:56PM GMT
What was his full name, age and where do you think he was in 1930? Don

Posted: 24 Oct 2011 12:46AM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2011 2:31PM GMT
Surnames: Vivyan, Brogan, Viveon, Vivian, Vivino, Viogen, Vrryans, Vyvyan
I have since actually found the 1930 listing - it was listed a Viryan - however other relations have had Brogan, Viveon, Vivian, Vivino, Viogen, Vrryans, Vyvyan, and others all because of handwriting inconsistencies - so any way to actually see a census for a certain locale and year? That way I could review all the listings looking specifically for my relations knowing the family members and even perhaps some neighbors. - Other suggestions??

Posted: 24 Oct 2011 1:53AM GMT
If you are a subscriber to ancestry.com you can go to search, then select US censuses, then the year you wish to search. When that comes up you go to the right side and select the state, county, township and then maybe the district. From there you would have to review each page. Or search by neighbors but that isn't always the best because people from census to census. Good luck in your search. Don

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 12:12PM GMT
As one other post states you can help a gret deal in finding
what you want if you could add more info.Local State,town,country out USA,First name any little thing you kknow cam help. Please give me what you have I think I might have something for you. Names af other relatives and iplaces can help a great deal.Good luck.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 3:03PM GMT
The 1940 U. S. census on ancestry.com has many (far too many) mis-spellings of names. I have read in several different reports that Ancestry had most, or all, of their transcribing done in Asia. The reason was so they could hire, at very low wages, a lot of people to do it so they could get the indexing online quicker than anyone else. Familysearch.org had all their indexing done by volunteers in the U. S. who speak and read English every day and are more familiar with American names. They were slower getting the indexing online, but I have found the name spelling in the index to be more accurate. And this is a free site. Anytime you copy name that doesn't look right, or you suspect it may not be right, look at the actual image and decipher it for yourself.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 11:50AM GMT
You are so right.Also the farther back I go I find middle names have been used by people as a first name. Somtimes, as in my greatgrandfathers case the first name was dropped all together and even on the head stone. One thing I found
helpful was when I found a person in a census listed with other family members I looked up all the listings on the right side of the record and found that the org doc was clearer because of better handwritting.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 11:58AM GMT
Vivyan in Herkimer county New York and a family Vedder living on same street. 1892 and 1940.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic