Search for content in message boards

Earliest Jernigans in NC?

Earliest Jernigans in NC?

Posted: 10 Oct 2004 5:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jernigan
I have this general question and also some information which I have compiled which might be helpful to other Jernigan researchers. I am wondering if there is anyone has discovered any records which would indicate the very earliest presence of any Jernigans in North Carolina. Through information obtained from others I am understanding that the Jernigan line arrived in America at Baltimore harbor and eventually found their way to Nansemond County, Virginia probably in the mid to late-1600s. By the 1790 census, they were definitely established in several counties in North Carolina (also one county in South Carolina and even on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts). So I am wondering at what point did they first arrive in North Carolina and what was the first record of that appearance in the state.

Now as for my information. According to the 1790 Census Index for North Carolina the Jernigan family was present in the following counties: New Hanover, Johnston, Duplin, Hertford, Wayne, Franklin, Richmond, Sampson and Robeson. The various spellings of the surname are: Jernigan, Jurnigan, Journagan, Jornagan, Jornegan, Jernagan and Jonerkin. There is one Turnigan which I believe is a typographical mistake and is in fact "Jurnigan". There are three possibilities (more research needs to be done to rule them either in or out): Jucin in Burke County; Jamica in Halifax County; and Jorge in Duplin County. There are other definite Jernigans in Duplin County for the census but the entries for Burke and Halifax are the only possible Jernigans I can find in the census for those two counties. I did include them in my research as possible locations for Jernigans in North Carolina - just in case further research does prove that Jucin and Jamica are both really misspellings of the name Jernigan.

So I know that the Jernigan family was established in several of these counties. For argument's sake, I am going to limit their presence in North Carolina to the areas of these counties and assume that they were only ever present in these areas. From 1664 up until the 1790 census the map of North Carolina and the division of jurisdictions went through quite a number of changes. The county map of North Carolina today bears very little resemblance to the makeup of the state in 1790.

A little background of the history of the state is necessary at this point. I consulted various sources for this information (a complete bibliography will follow at the end of my posting). This is how it all started.

King Charles I of England granted the territory known as "Carolana" (present day North and South Carolina and possibly surrounding areas) to Sir Robert Heath in 1629. Heath failed to settle the area before Charles' execution in 1649. Charles' execution was due to the takeover in England under Oliver Cromwell and England became a Commonwealth rather than a monarchy. Eventually the monarchy was restored under Charles II. He granted the territory to eight men who had supported and assisted in the restoration of the monarchy. Their stories vary. Some of them remained loyal to the royal family even during the Commonwealth period. Some went over to Cromwell's side and then back again to the monarchy when it was restored. Some only supported the monarchy after it was restored. In any case the eight men were the following:

Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon
George Monck, Duke of Albemarle
Lord William Craven
Lord John Berkeley
Lord Anthony Ashley Cooper, Earl of Shaftesbury
Sir George Carteret, Earl Granville
Sir William Berkeley
Sir John Colleton

These men were made Lords Proprietors of the territory known as Carolina in 1663. This was the beginning of what is known as the Proprietary Period of the state's history. These Lord Proprietors created three counties in Carolina: Albemarle, Clarendon and Craven. Craven County lay in what became South Carolina and I will not deal with it's history here. Albemarle County was on the northeast coast of the state. Clarendon was on the southeast coast of the state.

In 1667 Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon was accused of treason and banished. He went into exile on the European continent. Clarendon County was abolished in that year and the colony of 800 was abandoned. I don't know where all of those people were relocated. Possibly north to Albemarle County?

According to Ancestry's Red Book, the vast majority of those who settled North Carolina had to come overland because the North Carolina coastline was too treachorous and there is only one natural harbor - the Cape Fear River - which is itself even difficult for ships to enter because of the Frying Pan Shoals which shelter it. I did some online research last night and discovered that Albemarle County was initially settled by Virginians from Nansemond County. I have not discovered that Jernigans were among those but I wouldn't be surprised to find that they were. This was actually before the establishment of the jurisdictions of the Lords Proprietors. By 1657, Nathaniel Batts had established a settlement at the western end of Albemarle Sound.

(to be continued)

Re: Earliest Jernigans in NC?

Posted: 10 Oct 2004 5:50PM GMT
to continue...

So I've established the beginnings of settlement in the state. And that the county boundaries have changed considerably from the beginning of jurisdiction in 1663 up until 1790 and then up until present day. Using the presence (or possible presence) of Jernigans in the following counties in 1790 as the basis for my information: New Hanover, Johnston, Duplin, Halifax, Hertford, Burke, Wayne, Franklin, Richmond, Sampson and Robeson, I have compiled a list of jurisdictions and the time frame where one might discover records of Jernigans associated with that particular jurisdiction (precinct and/or county).

Initial jurisdictions only pertained primarily to the coast. Inland settlement was only attempted and was finally successful in the early 1700s. Up until that time the western boundaries which extended to the inland of the state were not specifically defined.

This is the list of possible jurisdictions and time frames of possible records of Jernigans:

Albemarle County (1664-1670)
Clarendon County (1664-1667; settlement abandoned and county abolished in 1667)

In 1670 Albemarle County was divided into the following precincts to facilitate governing a growing population: Shaftesbury, Currituck, Pasquotank and Berkeley.

Shaftesbury Precinct of Albemarle County (1670-1685)

In 1685 Shaftesbury changed its name to Chowan Precinct.

Chowan Precinct of Albemarle County (1685-1689)

In 1689 Albemarle County was abolished and the precincts governed their areas separately.

Chowan Precinct (1689-1722)

In 1710 North Carolina and South Carolina were made separate provinces.

Bertie Precinct (1722-1739) - formed out of Chowan Precinct. The formation of other new precincts soon followed:

New Hanover Precinct (1729-1739)
Craven Precinct (1729-1739)
Bladen Precinct (1734-1739)

In 1739 all precincts were changed to counties.

Bertie County (1739-1759)
New Hanover County (1739-1790 census)
Craven County (1739-1746)
Bladen County (1739-1786)

Other counties were created in North Carolina from this point on. Some were created out of territory taken from existing counties. These new counties would in turn be carved up or have territory taken from them to form even more new counties and that process continued up until the 1790 census and into modern times.

Edgecombe County (1741-1758)
Northampton County (1741-1759)
Granville County (1746-1764)
Johnston County (1746-1790 census)
Anson County (1750-1779)
Duplin County (1750-1790 census)
Rowan County (1753-1777)
Dobbs County (1758-1779)
Halifax County (1758-1790 census)
Hertford County (1759-1790 census)
Bute County (1764-1779)
Burke County (1777-1790 census)
Wayne County (1779-1790 census)
Franklin County (1779-1790 census)
Richmond County (1779-1790 census)
Sampson County (1784-1790 census)
Robeson County (1786-1790 census)

Complete bibliography to follow in the next/final posting.

Posted: 10 Oct 2004 8:48PM GMT
Surnames: Jernigan, Young, Lindsay, Bodine, Terry, Hand, Provence, Hooper, Coleman
Bibliography for "Earliest Jernigans in NC?"

Information for Jernigans in 1790 Census Index of North Carolina compiled from Ancestry.com
http://www.ancestry.com

History of jurisdictions in North Carolina taken from chronological maps at the website for Genealogy, Inc.:
http://www.genealogyinc.com

Additional information for county formation at the time of the 1790 census taken from:
Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920; William Thorndale and William Dollarhide; Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1001 N. Calvert St., Baltimore, MD 21202; Copyright 1987; Library of Congress Catalogue Card Number 87-80143; ISBN 0-8063-1188-6

Early history of North Carolina taken from the following sources:
Ancestry's Red Book - American State, County and Town Sources; Edited by Alice Eichholz, Ph.D., C.G.; Revised Edition 1992; Ancestry Incorporated, P.O. Box 476, Salt Lake City, UT 84110; ISBN 0-916489-47-7; Chapter on North Carolina contributed by Johni Cerny and Gareth L. Mark, A.G.; (pp 541-560)

Webster's New Biographical Dictionary; Copyright 1988 by Merriam-Webster Inc., Springfield, MA 01102; ISBN 0-87779-543-6; Articles on the following: Sir William Berkeley, Sir George Carteret, Charles I - King of Great Britain & Ireland of house of Stuart, Charles II - King of Great Britain & Ireland of house of Stuart, Anthony Ashley Cooper - 1st Earl of Shaftesbury, William Craven, Oliver Cromwell, Edward Hyde - 1st Earl of Clarendon and George Monck or Monk - 1st Duke of Albemarle.

Additional early history of Albemarle County, North Carolina taken from US GenWeb for Albemarle County, North Carolina at:
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/albemarle

Barry Jernigan
Grandson of Frankie William Jernigan and Zora Bell Young of New Castle, Jefferson Co., AL
Great-grandson of Franklin Henry "Frank" "F.H." Jernigan and Ella Mae Lindsay of AL
GG-grandson of Rev. James Silas Jernigan (prob. born Guntersville, Marshall Co., AL c. 1850) and Mary Jane Bodine of AL
Probable GGG-grandson of UNKNOWN and Hannah Jernigan (b. NC; prob. d. in AL after 1870)
Probable GGGG-grandson of Clement Jernigan and Drucilla Terry of Sevier Co., TN
Probable GGGGG-grandson of Samuel Jernigan and Rachel Hand of NC. Others have traced Samuel's ancestry back to Thomas Jernigan the immigrant from England.

Based on existing census information and collaboration with other Jernigan researchers, I believe that my gg-grandfather, James Silas Jernigan, was born to Hannah Jernigan and a father unknown in Guntersville, Marshall County, AL around 1850. I believe that Hannah appears in the 1860 census of Guntersville along with her two sons, James Silas and John Henry (or Henry) and also with her younger brother, Spencer Jernigan. By 1870, I believe James was living with the family of Francis Provence - a prominent man in Guntersville and brother John Henry was living with the Hooper family - also of Guntersville. By 1870 Hannah had a third child - Moses Jernigan. Both were also living in Marshall County. By 1880 James Silas had married Mary Jane Bodine and appears in the census of Guntersville along with his family. Moses Jernigan is listed as his brother which further indicates strongly that James Silas was the son of Hannah Jernigan. Apparently he took his mother's maiden name. Further research in courthouse records in Guntersville may reveal why James was living with the Provence family as a boy and not with his mother and father (whomever that man may have been). I don't know if James, John Henry and Moses even had the same father or why their father(s) do not appear in either the 1860 or 1870 census with Hannah and any of her children. If anyone has any information to solve this mystery, please let me know. Other documentation further connects James Silas and John Henry as probable brothers. I am in contact with one of John Henry's descendants and we communicate on a fairly regular basis. She is also trying to solve this mystery of our Jernigan family's origins.

Some Jernigan researchers insist they have evidence indicating that James Silas Jernigan was the son of Silas Jernigan and Anna Coleman of Brewton, AL. I believe their evidence is only circumstantial and partially based on "family stories". These lines go further back to Lame David Jernigan of Wayne County, NC who served in the Revolutionary War. I no longer accept this as my "Jernigan" lineage. I guess part of my search is to uncover my real family name - the name of James Silas "Jernigan's" natural father. This discovery will lead to even newer discoveries in reference to my family's actual origins.

Dale Morris Russom (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2004 8:08PM GMT
Surnames: JERNIGAN
Barry, our earliest Jernigan ancestor (as you know) was Sir Thomas Jernigan who sailed to America (Barbados) in 1635 on the "Truelove". He married Elizabeth ? and settled in Nansemond Co. Virginia, naming his land Somerton after one of the Jernegan seats in England. His oldest was Thomas Jr. who settled at Martha's Vineyard, Mass. His second son, Henry, is said to have moved into North Caroline and his descendants worked their way down the east coast to S.C., Georgia and Florida. I don't know exactly the year he went to N. C.
John, the younger son, was born about 1670 in Virginia. He bought land in Chowan Presinct, Bertie Co. N.C. in 1714. His will was probated May 14, 1746 in Bertie Co.
I'm not sure who moved first, Henry or John, but they may have traveled to North Carolina together.

Posted: 4 Feb 2006 7:41PM GMT
My great grandfather Wm. J. Jernigan was born 1818 in eithr NC or TN and died in AR in 1888. I have been at a loss tracking his parents possibly due to records being lost or destroyed during the civil war. He may have served in the army during Civil War but I don't know for sure if the one I found was him or another. Some of his sons went on to Oklahoma and Texas. It appears his first wife may have been Eliza as well as his second wife. My father and his closest siblings were from the second wife. He may have gotten land in Batesville, AR before Cache, AR and then on to Craighead Co., AR. Does anyone know anything about him? Help will be greatly appreciated. Mary J.

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 9:56PM GMT
Who was the wife of John of 1670? Records (head right and probate) in Hathaway's Register indicate her first name was probably Elizabeth. Is her maiden name known?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic