Search for content in message boards

Indian Connection

Indian Connection

Posted: 29 May 2001 2:19PM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2004 6:39PM GMT
Does anyone have any Indian connections to the Whittington name. I have many stories and theory's but nothing ever pans out. Evidantly the Whittington side is supposed to have Cherokee Indian in it. I come from the Fenneman side from Harry Fenneman who married Elsie Whittington from Putnum/Kanawha County. Elsie is supposed to be either 1/2 or 3/4 Indian. Please reply with any information that you may have.

Thanks,

Robert Jergens

Whittington side has cherokee indian

Vonda (whiitington) (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2001 5:46PM GMT
I heard my mother say we had cherokee blood . I know so little is why I am searching.Odell (Johnny) Whittington was my grandfather.The wife was Elizabeth Penny. They were from Louisiana, Areas of Oakdale, Mab, Lake Charles, maybe Glenmora. (vonda)

Re: Indian Connection

Posted: 27 Jun 2001 3:42AM GMT
my great g mother fannie leona priest married to whittington in mid 1800's. she was a cherokee indian and also a nurse, she married a whittington who was a preachaer, poet and teacher. i have the names of their children, etc. if interested please e mail me at leapytoo@aol.com

Posted: 2 Jul 2001 9:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Whittington, Medlin, Thompson
I am descendant of Delilah Catherine Whittington b. 1856 (later married Alfred Moore Medlin in Missouri, then Levi Thompson in Oregon). We were always told that Delilah was Indian. Several branches of Delilah's offspring had the same story so I'm thinking there's something to it, but I haven't been able to prove it yet.

My branch of the family thought the connection was Shoshone, but another had it as Cherokee. Based on the location of the family (southern Missouri) Cherokee is much more likely.

curt (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2001 1:22PM GMT
Surnames: Whittington,Curtis,Elkington,Mckibben,
Please send me your email add. and i will help you out.Do you know anymore about elsie whittington ?sibs,parents....... Curt curtdebi@qwest.net Ps I am part cher.ind.though the whittington line

Posted: 17 Aug 2001 9:33PM GMT
Surnames: Whittington/Short
Mary Victoria Whittington married Riley Short 3OCT1878 in Amite County MS. I'm told Riley Short was Native American but I am unable to fine anything on him. I have Mary's parents as Arthur R Whittington and Ora Heard Butler Causey. If you think any of this may have some connection, please contact me at my email address: olveoyl@dellepro.com
Thanks,
Monica Babin

Posted: 5 Oct 2001 10:29PM GMT
Edited: 8 Dec 2002 10:22PM GMT
Curt,

I have a transcript of the forms which were filled out by your ancestors in which they identified their Cherokee connections and were accepted as valid members of the Cherokee tribe. Do you have them?

Re: Whittington side has cherokee indian

glen (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2001 1:44AM GMT
I have an Elizabeth Penny married to Mordella Whittington
glenmary@eatel.net

meprice (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2002 4:07AM GMT
Surnames: Whittington, Price, Hammond, Givens
My grandmother was a Whittington from South MS and she told me that there was some Indian blood in us. Where it comes in I don't know.

Posted: 19 Mar 2003 9:17PM GMT
Have some vague information on Indian connection to Indian background. My grandmother is Eloise Wilder LeCost. Her mother was Naomi Whittington Wilder and Naomi's sister was Theresa Whittington Woodard. I have been unable to obtain any background information as to who their parents were or for that matter death record for Naomi. I have heard a lot of different stories but I have no information from which to search from. I do know that my grandmother is half indian and half black. If I can get some help I would gladly appreciate it. I do know that this branch of my family originated from the Indian tribes in North or South Carolina.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions