Search for content in message boards

Stephen Hopkins of Mayflower: descendants - sources of information

Stephen Hopkins of Mayflower: descendants - sources of information

Posted: 4 May 2009 2:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
In addition to the info at www.mayflowerhistory.com, those trying to figure out whether they are descended from Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower may find the following sources helpful. These may be available at a nearby library that has genealogy materials, but they can also be purchased. I got my copies through the Ancestry store.
- Mayflower Marriages
- Mayflower Births and Deaths
- Mayflower Families Through Five Generations
- Cape Cod Library of Local History and Genealogy (2 vols).
These works often contain information about the lines that intermarried, with Cape Cod Library having narrative accounts of what was known about individuals.
- Do be careful of online family trees. A number of people have jumped to confusions. Family stories are also to be careful of. I've seen folks in our family invent stories, even confusing Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower with the Stephen Hopkins who signed the Declaration of Independence. Others, online, attribute additional children to Stephen or still adhere to older ideas of who his first wife was.

Re: Stephen Hopkins of Mayflower: descendants - sources of information

Posted: 4 May 2009 3:28PM GMT
Also, don't overlook DNA as another good tool. There are a few claimants in the Hopkins Group at Family Tree DNA who have matching YDNA's and can show their direct descent back to the Mayflower Stephen Hopkins. For those of you who have a living male Hopkins in your line, try to convince him to take the test even if you and a cousin or two have to pay for it to pursuade him. DNA can prove as well as disprove relationship.

Posted: 5 May 2009 1:26PM GMT
For those who don't know, the y chromosome tests only apply to a straight line of male descendancy, in this case, from Stephen Hopkins. Since there were only two sons, Gyles and Caleb, and Caleb had no children, that would also mean from Gyles and one of his sons (only have paid attention to Gyles's son, Joshua. Don't know if either of the other sons had sons). It would also need to be the case that no male Hopkinses were actually fathered by someone else. ;-)
Women could test for mitochondrial DNA if there is a straight female only line back to one of Stephen Hopkins's wives.
Either of these tests leaves out all other paths of descendancy from Stephen, Mary or Elizabeth.

Posted: 5 May 2009 4:13PM GMT
Susan is correct. In the two instances where there is direct descent from Stephen Hopkins (Mayflower) in the Hopkins Group at Family Tree DNA, both descend through Giles (of course) and his son Stephen and his son Joseph, Sr. then Jr. Beyond Joseph, Jr., the descent continues, but through different sons. Both men whose Y-DNA has been tested at FTDNA match each other's. If there had been a rogue father in there somewhere, it's unlikely that the two testee's Y-DNA would have matched. Doug Hopkins. Hopkins Group Administrator, FTDNA.

Posted: 6 May 2010 12:21PM GMT
I'd also like to recommend Caleb Johnson's bio of Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower, Here Shall I Die Ashore: Stephen Hopkins: Bermuda Castaway, Jamestown Survivor and Mayflower Pilgrim.

It's good genealogical sleuthing, a good read, and shows the evidence that the Mayflower was actually Hopkins's 2nd trip to the New World. Also, that he was the model for Stephano in Shakespeare's The Tempest. Johnson covers a lot of ground, including what life was like for the women on the Mayflower, and information on relations with Native Americans. And, in case you didn't know, you'll discover that Hopkins was no Puritan saintly guy.

Posted: 22 Jul 2011 3:09AM GMT
Family stories have us connected to Stephen Hopkins, the passenger, Stephen Hopkins the signer, Robert Livingston the the Chancellor. The best I have done to date is find information we may have been related to Thomas Hopkins who is an ancestor of Ezek and Stephen. It looks like my ancestor William Hopkins was a cousin. Your suggestion "Mayflower families Through Five Generations," should help me prove it I have Mayflower ancestors. Capt. Harvey Dingley and Henrietta Besse, my great/grandparents seem to lead me to 7 Mayflower passengers. 2 have already been proven. I am looking for a third to apply for membership in the Mayflower society. I could use one of the two already established but we want to see if we can connect a third. I am Warren Hopkins my email is kinghoppy@sbcglobal.net.

Posted: 22 Jul 2011 3:23AM GMT
Suggest you check with an historical or genealogical library near you for copies of the volumnes in the series. As far as I know, Stephen Hopkins the signer is not related to Stephen of the Mayflower.

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 6:30AM GMT
Surnames: Cook, Warren, Brewster, White, Mullins, Alden,Soule.
Family historical fantansy had us related to Stephen the passenger and Steven the signer. Stephen the signer was descended from Thomas Hopkins who arrived in Rhode Island 1661.
My line appears to be a cousin of the signer and the commodore.
I a trying to prove I am descended from Francis Cook, Richard Warren, William Brewster, William White, William Mullins, John Alden, and George Soule. My Great/Grandfather's parents were Capt. Harvey Dingley and Henriette Besse.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions