William Blevins

William Blevins

Lorene Whitt (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2001 3:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Feb 2004 3:15PM GMT
Surnames: Blevins, Welch, Justice, Leadingham
I am searching for information on the following:
William Blevins, born May 2, 1826 in Grayson County, Virginia and died July 21, 1911 in Greenup County, Kentucky. He married Rebecca Welch in 1851 in North Carolina. They had a daughter named Susanna Blevins, born 1859 in North Carolina, who married David "Davie" Justice. David Justice was a son of Henry Jackson Justice and Mary L. Leadingham of Carter Co.
One of Susanna Blevins and David Justice's children were Joseph Justice.
I would love to hear from anyone who may have additional information on these families. Thanks so much!

Re: William Blevins

Vikky Wilburn Anders (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2001 10:51PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2004 3:15PM GMT
Surnames: Wilburn, Blevens
Hi
Just wanted you to know that Lewis Wilburn b. c 1770 m Susan Blevens...Lots of their descendants live in Carter KY today. Susan was b. in 1768 in VA....I would love to learn her parents names...I am certain that they are related to your Blevins line.

Cheers,

Vikky

Carolyn Wilson Dyer (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2001 11:20PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2004 3:16PM GMT
Surnames: Blevins, Welch, Osborn, Jackson, Justice
I have the following information on this Blevins family. William is the son of James Blevins and Susannah Welch, and grandson of Elisha Blevins and Rachel Osborn. Other members of the Elisha Blevins family are found in Greenup County, Morgan County and Menifee. William arrived after the Civil War and lived in the area of Little Fork, and is found on the 1870 Carter County, KY., Census, 1880 Census.
WILLIAM F. BLEVINS (JAMES4, ELISHA3,) was born May 02,1826 in Grayson County, Virginia, and died July 21, 1911 in Greenup County, Kentucky. He married (1) REBECCA WELCH 1851 in Ashe County, North Carolina. She was born 1830 in North Carolina, and died 1875 in Carter County Kentucky. He married (2) MARY GILLIAM JACKSON Aft. 1875 in Carter County, Kentucky. She was born 1848 in Kentucky.
Children of William and Rebecca are:
Nancy b. 1852 Virginia, James, b. 1854 Grayson County, VA, d. 1918 Elliott County, buried Memory Gardens, William W. b. Dec. 1856, Ashe County, NC d. March 1941.
Susanna b. 1858 married David Justice 1881 Carter County, Ky., Rebecca Blevins b. 1866 married Andrew Justice, George Blevins b. 1868, Andrew Blevins April 1875 married Sarah Justice.
Children of 2nd. wife Mary are Chelsey Jackson,Malissa Jackson,Peggy Jackson,John Morgan Jackson. I do not know if William and Mary had children this is all the Information I have on this family.

Eleanor Brewster (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2001 8:30PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2004 3:18PM GMT
Surnames: Blevins, Leadingham, Welch, Gillum
William and Rebecca Welch, Blevins also had William Blevins who married Nancy Leadingham. William, Sr.and Rebecca had seven children.
William had one son, Joseph by his second wife, Mary Gillum. Joseph lived in Greenup Co. Ky.
Rebecca was a full-blood Cherokee Indian and probably used William's mothers maiden name to get married.
William sold property in Carter Co. in 1882 and moved to Greenup Co. in early 1900.

Eleanor Brewster (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2001 8:49PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2004 3:18PM GMT
Surnames: BLEVINS, CHAFFIN
I mentioned William Blevins a son, sorry, he was already listed, by Carolyn Wilson. I knew the William Blevins family and missed him on the list.
Joseph born 8 June 1881 married Nora Chaffin, 1901 in Greenup Co. Joseph died 16 November 1960 Wurtland, Ky. buried in the Plum Grove Cemetery, Greenup Co.

Posted: 7 Jan 2002 12:04AM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2004 3:19PM GMT
Surnames: Leadingham
Mary L. Leadingham is my great/grandmother. Does anyone have any pictures of her? I will appreciate any response.
Thank you.
Birdie

lynda ball (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2002 1:25AM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2004 3:20PM GMT
Surnames: LEADINGHAM, CRAIG, DOEGE, REINER
Do you have a Laura Leadingham who married William Henry Craig? They had Lucille (my father's mother) Gladys, Violet, and Harold, possibly other children, in I believe Willard, Ky. definitely in Carter County, Ky? Could Laura be a daughter or niece of the Leadingham you mentioned? I do know Laura moved with the children to East Chicago, Indiana sometime before 1937(don't know if William Henry Craig was still living and moved with them or not). I say before 1937 because that is the year my father was born and Laura's home address on Kentucky Ave. (ironic street name I know) in East Chicago or Gary, Indiana is the address listed on my father's birth certificate.
I've never known my father's mother's family. (some great mystery). I know Gladys married Will Doege, Violet married Wally Reiner, and Harold unfortunately died at age 19, but I don't know when he was born so I don't know what year he died. I do know it was the result of a drowning. Depending on what version you hear or believe, Harold was believed murdered since he was a competition swimmer.I have talked to my Aunt Gladys ONE time when my sister was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in 1993, however Gladys was EXTREMELY reluctant to talk to me, so I've made no other attempts to contact her. My father's gues about the "mystery" or why there has been no contact from his mother's siblings is my father was possibly born out of wedlock Do you have any information that may help? Do you know where I may find any other info? I know this has been a lengthy message, but the only other lead I've had in years asked for further info, but it fizzled out, so I figured I would give you what info I have.
Thanks in advance for any help or even just a response of no if that is the answer.
Lynda
rlmball@aol.com

Posted: 28 Feb 2004 6:12AM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2004 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Leadingham, Craig, Sammons, Salmons
Hi Lynda,
My name is Linda Jarrell Robertson; my mother's father, Kearney LEADINGHAM, is a son of Peter Daniel LEADINGHAM b.16 Jul 1868, Elliott County, and Mary Elizabeth Craig b.16 Jan 1870,Carter County, daughter of Henry Burnard CRAIG and Martha SAMMONS/SALMONS.. This is as far back as I can go. Could my Henry Burnard CRAIG be connected to your William Henry CRAIG?
Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.
Let your path prove your heart ... Linda Wolf Eyes Robertson

Posted: 31 Dec 2009 4:14AM GMT
Surnames: Rice, Jarrell
Hello Linda,

I came across this old inquiry & wondered if you had ever gotten any further with your research on the Rice family. I think I might be able to help you with Henry Rice, husband of Emaly and father of William. Do you have any more data on them? Is it possible they had another son named "Washington?"

Patti Rice

Linda Jarrell-Robertson
Query: Family tradition mentions Cherokee, Creek, Shawnee, and Blackfoot, that is, those who would admit it. My grandma, Emma Abigail Rice, b.2Feb1888 Greenup Co.,KY, married George Francil "Frank" Jarrell 11Jul1914; daughter of William Arnold Rice b.11 Apr1860, Carter Co.KY and Ella Baker Bennett b.10 May 1854, Greenup Co.KY - married 2Oct1883. William, son of Henry Rice and Emaly Unknown. That's as far back as I can go on the Rice lineage, and we know somewhere in native ancestry. I appreciate any help any of you can give. I wish to honor all my native ancestors in the traditional old way. Wado.
Posted: November 2002
per page

Find a board about a specific topic