Search for content in message boards

Revolutionary War - Jameson/Jamison's of Essex Co. VA

Revolutionary War - Jameson/Jamison's of Essex Co. VA

Nancy Laurent (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2005 9:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jameson, Jamison
I am looking for information regarding the Revolutionary War involvement of the Jameson/Jamison family in Essex and Bucks Co., VA.

I have the following names as being involved in the Revolutionary War; Thomas Jameson, born 1743 in (York Co.?) PA. He was supposed to have furnished money and arms for the Militia. George Jameson born 1744 in Agusta Co., VA. John Jameson born 1763 who served in the Agusta Co. Militia. David Jameson born in Orange Co. VA who was supposed to be an officer also.

I have some basic information a John Jameson who was a Lt. Col in the war. Land Office Warrant # 197 and Land Office Military Warrant #3174 dated 19 Nov, 1784. He was supposed to be a Cavalry officer from June 1776 to November 1783.

There is a statement from a Lt. Col. Edward Stevens of the Army Minute Service dated 18 day of addeer 1807. This tates that Lt. Col John Jameson served under him. (I'm not sure what month addeer refers to.)

I also have a referrence to David Jameson, birth year 1714 in York Co., PA; he died in Essex Co. VA. He was married to a Mildred Smith, died 11 December 1778. She was the daughter of Edmund and Agnes Smith and reputed to be a kinswoman of George Washington. David graduated from Prinston College in 1753. He was supposed to be Lt. Govenor of VA during part of the Revolution and on the VA Committee to help in the location of the District of Columbia.

Other than the copy of the documents for John Jameson I do not have any records except what my aunts accumulated from family bibles.

Is there any way that you might check these names and see if I am a decendent of American Revolutionary War members?

Also do you know how I might contact the Daughters of the Confederacy? I believe that my Great Great Grandfather was a Capt. in the 28th Regiment, Co. B, Texas Cavalry. His name is Wiliam Alner Jameson. I have copies of muster rolls from 22 April 1862 in Rusk, Texas to April 1865.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Nancy M. Laurent
laurent@wizzards.net

Re: Revolutionary War - Jameson/Jamison's of Essex Co. VA

Ellie S. (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2005 6:43PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2005 5:43AM GMT
Surnames: JAMESON, JAMISON
Hello Nancy:
What a wonderful account of your forebears!!!

Serving from the state of VIRGINIA, I found 17 combinations for the surname of JAMESON, but none for JAMISON. I will give you all 17 combinations and perhaps you can identify your connections. If a patriot had 2 wives, that would be counted as 2 combinations.

David, b. 1757 NJ; sp: Hannah Richards; PVT.
David, b. 1757 VA; sp: Sally Gray; CAPT.
David, b. 1752 VA; sp: Mary Mennis; LT.
George, b. ca. 1732 VA; sp: Ellinor X; PVT.
James, b. ca. 1741 VA; sp: Lucy Hackley; LT.
John, b. 1763 VA; sp: Mary Rice; PVT
John, b. 1752 IR; sp: Nancy Hayter; LT.
John, b. 1742 VA; sp: Barbara Stewart; SOL.
Robert, b. 1762 VA; sp: Isabelle Mahan; PVT
Samuel, b. ca. 1760 NJ; sp: Rebecca Reece; SOL
Samuel, b. Jul 1753, pl.?; sp. Margaret Craig; PVT.
Thomas, b. 1732 PA; sp: (1) Jane Dickey; (2) Hannah Taggart, PVT PS
Thomas, b. 1743 VA; sp: Judith Hackley; CAPT PS
William, b. VA 1745; sp: Rachel McCreery; PS
William, b. 1759 VA; sp: unknown; PVT

(PS=possibly fed the troops, provided for clothing, horses, place for abode, etc.)

You can send for application copies of any name you are interested in. The cost is $10 each. They usually give excellent information that will help you in your research.

We can also give you the name of a chapter in your area that can help you in the process of membership. Just let me know!

Re: Confederacy Records. We don't have those, but there are research centers

Ellie S., Volunteer
DAR VIS Online Lookup

Ellie S. (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2005 6:49PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2005 5:44AM GMT
Surnames: JAMESON, JAMISON
Nancy:
I apologize .. but my reply "ran away" before I finished your questions.

There is a good CSA research center at HILL COLLEGE in Hillsboro, TX. Hillsboro is about 60 miles south of Dallas/Ft. Worth on I-35. They can help you.

Good Luck,
Ellie S., Volunteer
DAR VIS Online Lookups

Nancy L. (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2005 8:53AM GMT
Dear Elli S.

Thank you for all your help. This has given me a great start on looking for the records. I know that I am related to the following:

James Jameson: b: 1741, VA sp: Lucy Hackley
John Jameson: b: 1763, VA sp: Mary Polly Rice
Thomas Jameson: b:1743, VA sp: Judith Hackley
(Thomas Jameson is the one I think was the helped with the money and arms. I'm not sure about the housing.)

There were five brothers and a cousin who came to the US from Scotland by way of Ireland in the early 1700's. They were: John Jameson, Robert Jameson, Thomas Jameson, James Jameson, David Jameson and the cousin Henry. They lived in PA originally then moved to Essex and Bucks Co., VA. They all tended to name their children James, Alexander, Thomas, John, David and William. The brothers and cousins tended to marry the sisters of the families in the area. Judith Hackley and Lucy Hackley were either sisters or cousins.

I have a few more records to research and when I get that done I will get back with any information that I have for the rest of the names on the list.

Sincerely,

Nancy M. Laurent

I live in Medford, OR so if you could send the information for the local chapter I would appreciate it.

Nancy L. (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2005 9:00AM GMT
HI, Ellie S.

Thank you for the second post with the CSA information. I will work on that as I can.

Nancy

Ellie S. (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2005 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Jameson, Jamison
I will be happy to help you find a chapter near your home. Also if you have information on your other forebears, I'll do other lookups for you.

Ellie S.
DAR Lookup volunteer

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions