Search for content in message boards

Amos Silkworth, photographer

Amos Silkworth, photographer

Connie Hedglin (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2006 1:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Seeking dates of operation for Amos Silkworth, photographer at #261 Manhattan Ave., Brooklyn during the 1800's. Thanks

Re: Amos Silkworth, photographer

Kathleen A. Kern (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2006 6:25PM GMT

Brooklyn, New York Directories, 1888-1890 Record
about Amos W. Silkworth
Name: Amos W. Silkworth
Location 1: 261 Manhattan avenue
Year: 1888, 1889
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

I found him in the 1900 census....... he is a photographer....... I can send you the document:

1900 > NEW YORK > KINGS > 17-WD BROOKLYN BORO

Series: T623 Roll: 1054 Page: 59

Surname GivenName Age Sex Race Birthplace State County Location Year

SILKWORTH AMOS 38 M W NY NY KINGS 17-WD BROOKLYN BORO

He moved by 1910

1910 > NEW YORK > SUFFOLK > SOUTHOLD

Series: T624 Roll: 1082 Page: 310

Surname GivenName Age Sex Race Birthplace State County Location Year

SILKWORTH AMOS W 47 M W NY NY SUFFOLK SOUTHOLD 1910

Send me an email if you would like the documents:

kthkern@aol.com

David Silkworth (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2006 1:17AM GMT
I am Amos Silkworth's great grandson. I have quite a number of his photographs, and remember his studio logo from my childhood. Amos Jr. married Mary Biffar in 1985. Mary's father Henry Biffar originated the photography studio, so we can assume that the Silkworth name did not appear independently until after that date. By the turn of the century it seems that Amos had earned his fortune in the photography business and retired to Mattituck, N.Y.

David Silkworth (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2006 1:21AM GMT
Sorry, that date was 1885 for the marriage.

Connie Hedglin (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2006 1:18PM GMT
David, Thank you for your reply. That puts a time period on my picture and gives me an idea as to who the picture is of!
Connie

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2007 1:41PM GMT
Surnames: Starkey Biffar Kopke Silkworth
Hello: I saw your message about Mary Biffar. I have tried to research the Biffar Photographer firm in the past. As I recall, they had a number of different addresses. A cousin in Ireland sent me an unidentified photo of a man, probably named Starkey, marked "Biffar" "Photographer" "307 Broadway" "Bet. Marcy Ave. and Rodney St." "Brooklyn". Have you done any research on the dates that Biffar may have operated at various locations? I am hoping that if I can narrow down the year he was at 307 Broadway, I may be able to identify the man in the photo. When your Silkworth ancestor took over, did Biffar retire? Did any other photographers named Biffar continue the business also? Any help you could supply would be most appreciated. Do you know what happened to the records of Biffar Photographer? I also have some unidentified photos by United States Portrait Company, 311 Fulton Street, Corner of Johnson, Brooklyn and another marked Kopke Photo Studio, 479 Fulton Street, Brooklyn. Thank you so much. Susan

Posted: 13 Jul 2011 11:06PM GMT
I have a few family photos from Henry W. Biffar and Silkworth Studios. Here are the addresses I have and best guesses re dates of the photos:
Silkworth Studio, 261 Manhattan Ave., Brooklyn (photo dated Feb. 1889)
Silkworth, 795 Manhattan Ave., Brooklyn (photo ca. 1895, subject died in 1901).
Henry W. Biffar, 113&115 4th Street, Cor. South 4th and 4th Sts., Brooklyn (photo ca. 1870)

Posted: 14 Jul 2011 1:32AM GMT
Surnames: Silkworth, Biffar, Grosbouer, Miller, Conklin
I sorry that it has taken me almost 4 years to notice this question. The Biffar name only appears breifly in the extensive research that my father's cousin, Janice (Grosbouer) Miller, has performed on the Silkworth family. The notation is that Lain's city directory "Brooklyn 1876" indicated a Biffar studio at 113 4th St., Brooklyn, N.Y.

Amos married Mary Biffar, and appears to have been awarded the Biffar studio. The only address I can recall from my grandfather's momentos was the Broadway, Brooklyn address (307? as I have seen here). It had the scripted Silkworth logo only. (My childish mind confused this with a more trendy Manhattan location.)

Unfortunately, Mary Biffar died (reportedly following childbirth) on 25 March 1886. Amos continued to run the photograpy studio in his name for some 15 years (or so) afterwards. He married my greatgrandmother in 1888, so the Biffar record ends for us. The surviving child from the Silkworth-Biffar marriage was Amos Worthington Silkworth. My greatgrandfather referred to him "Worthy" and cherished him in remembrance of Mary no doubt. I knew him as "Uncle Doc". Uncle Doc lived as a batchelor his entire life. As far as I know that would be and end point on the Biffar family tree.

There is a notation regarding Lain's "Brooklyn 1893" which listed a Silkworth photograpy studio (Amos Wood Silkworth and Albert Charles Silkworth) at 261 Manhattan Avenue, Brooklyn, N.Y. Apparently this was also the home address of a Silkworth cousin, Charles E. Silkworth, Jr. I don't know what to read into this.

It seems that photography was the "high tech" field of the day, and must have been quite lucrative. Amos purchased a marvelous spread on the Long Island sound in Mattituck, N.Y. around the turn of the century. Alas, "The Old Homestead", as my grandfather would recall it was lost to creditor's during the Great Depression.

Amos became seriously ill by 1910 and returned to commercial photography working for others, I believe this was in New Jersey. He died in 1917 in Southold, which is close to the "Homestead" location. Many of my father's relatives had connection to Southold. There is a graveyard there where many rest. I recall as a child running through the site (with some slightly older "cousin" relations), which was just beyond the back yard of one of my father's cousins,from his mother's side, Albert Conklin (I really favored "Uncle Al").

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2011 5:45AM GMT
Surnames: Biffar, Silkworth, Starkey
Thank you everyone for your reply. I did a little genealogy research tonight. There might be a little mix-up in the relationship between Mary Biffar and Henry Biffar. In the 1870 Census, they are both listed as children of John Biffar, a janitor. Henry is 23 and is already listed as a photographer; Mary is 6. So they seem to be brother and sister, and 17 years apart. There is also a brother named Melchur (Melcher, Melchior?) who is 17 and listed as a photographer's apprentice. Henry appears again in the 1880 Census, married to Aida, and is listed as a photographer. By the 1892 NY Census, Henry is listed as a coal merchant. I found Mary's marriage to Amos Silkworth on October 26, 1885. Her marriage certificate No. 3495 in Kings County should list the names of the parents, if anyone is interested. I think this helps to narrow things down a little as far as dates, but for me, I still don't know who the Starkey man in my photograph is! Does anyone know of any Biffar photographs that are actually dated? Also, I still can't quite decipher the entwined initials on my photo card. It looks like two "B"s and a "T"? It's still fun; once again, thank you for your help. Maybe city directories will help as they go online. Susan

Posted: 8 Oct 2011 6:15AM GMT
I have quite a few old family photos printed on cards from the turn of the last century from the Silkworth Studio. They also lists the business as being on 261 Manhattan Avenue. My great grandparents on my father's side were Swedish immigrants who immigrated to Greenpoint in 1890. I know this doesn't add anything to the family history thread, but I just wanted to point out that mr Silkworth's work lives on over a hundred years later, probably in countless family photo albums. Best, Soren Larson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions