Search for content in message boards

Pattison, Clarke, and Boyd

Pattison, Clarke, and Boyd

Posted: 23 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jun 2002 3:54AM GMT
Looking for any information about great grandfather, William Pattison, of Dunmanway and wife, Barbara Clarke... wed in the Diocese of Cork and Ross in 1845

Also looking for any information about my grandmother, Ellen Boyd, of Killybegs...circa 1850. She had a sister, Mary, who married a John Porter,and they probably lived in County Donegal.

Re: Pattison, Clarke, and Boyd

Posted: 4 Jul 2001 6:51PM GMT
You may want to email Tom Boyd at 100665.1141@compuserve.com. Our great-grandfathers,
Thomas Lunham Boyd (his, b.1848) and Robert Thomas Clarke Lunham (mine, b. 1856), were cousins, born in Cork, sons of owners of pork-porcessing plants there, England, and eventually Chicago. Tom may have info on Ellen, perhaps a sister of TL Boyd.

Interesting that your Barbara's last name is spelled same as my gg's middle name. Don't have any info on his Clarke link,
but there could be a connection. Would love to continue research with you. I'm Dan Lunham, dlunham@aol.com.

Posted: 1 Feb 2002 6:33PM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2002 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Pattison
Did William Pattison emigrate to Ontario, Canada? His birthdate and place are about right to be my great grandmother's father. She was Susanna Pattison, born about 1852.

Posted: 2 Feb 2002 12:47AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2002 3:54AM GMT
Surnames: William Pattison
Hi, Connie!
It was good to get your query, but unfortunately I think that my great grandfather, William Pattison, and his wife, Barbara Clarke remained in Ireland. The land holdings records of the l800's reveal that a William Pattison had land in Sillertane (I would imagine it to be a part of Dunmanway) and also there was a John Pattison (I think that was his name) of the same address. I would imagine them to be father and son, and because of the rules of primogeniture - lst born son - that my grandfather took off for America where he lived and worked and eventually bought land for a farm (Burlington, Massachusetts) of his own which is where my father and uncle were born and I grew up. Looking back on the experience now, it was a great learning experience... even though as a kid I longed to live in a city where the kids didn't have to do any work. But the wide open spaces were great, and the values and work ethic still are with me to this day.
Sorry to say I guess that we're not related... but it is my opinion that we all are related especially if the spelling is the same in the name. Best wishes in your quest for information.
If only those records hadn't been burned in the 1900's... we'd know a lot more than we do now.
If you wish to share any family history in regard to the Pattisons, I'd love to get it.
Sincerely,
Joan

Connie Humphries (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2002 5:40PM GMT
I just now saw your message. For some reason I didn't get notified when it was posted. Do you know if William Pattison had a brother named James Pattison (1803-1882), or a sister named Susanna Pattison? They emigrated to Ontario, Canada in the mid 1800s. I heard a family story that says some of our ancestors lived in Massachusetts before emigrating to Ontario. Thank you for your kind response.

Joan Pattison Sheehan (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2002 3:32AM GMT
Hi, Connie!
I am just now receiving your request for information in relation to my great grandfather, William Pattison. It has only been within the last year that I received e-mail from Ruth Thoden of Boonville, NY. And we have the same common
great,great grandparents... Goodhand and Barbara (Patison)
Clark. It's funny and interesting to know that when the Pattisons weren't marrying the Clarks then the Clarks were marrying the Pattisons. Through the message board I was able to ascertain from a very wonderful lady in Dunmanway by the name of Mary Murphy that we (Ruth Thoden and I) have Pattison cousins living in Dunmanway, Ireland that place where my grandfather, James Pattison, was born and we have often wondered if there were any brothers. We think that there might have been. At any rate, I you will give me your e-mail address I should be delighted to send you all that I have on the Pattison - Clark(e) connection in our family tree. It would be wonderful to add another cousin to our big world Pattison family. Mary Murphy, by the way, has given me the address of one of our newly found cousins in Dunmanway, Ireland by the name of Irene Kingston. It's been almost 2 months since I sent my genealogy links to her via snail mail because the gal doesn't have a computer. But anything is possible. Dying to hear from you about anything linking your family with ours...
Sincerely,

Joan Pattison Sheehan (sheehan@zianet.com)

Posted: 10 Oct 2009 9:51PM GMT
My email address is no longer as given above...

It is... slightly disguised...

ng10066504jan
...ON THE SERVER OF...
yahoo.co.uk

If THAT doesn't work, check the contacts link at...
sheepdogsoftware.co.uk
... which is also me. Thanks! Dan: Please get in touch!! Your eddress lapsed, too, I think!

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 4:18PM GMT
Surnames: Clarke
re-Barbara Clarke (wed 1845). Her grandfather Goodhand Clarke of Inch Dunmanway, married a Barbara Pattison at the end of the 18th century. At one time he had been a British naval officer. They had 9 children. One of them,Robert, was my ancestor, another, John, who married a Catherine Tanner,was the father of your Barbara Clarke.She had 3 siblings,Joseph who married a Mary Anne Kingston,Richard who married Elizabeth Clarke and Jane who married a John Brown.The names Kingston and Pattoson appear a few times in the family marriages as they were part of a close knit Protestant farming community then.

Posted: 4 Aug 2010 2:30AM GMT
Probably cannot add much info except to sat that one of Robert Clarkes sons, William, married in 1874 to Anne Bryan also of Dunmanaway County Cork and migrated to Australia. William is my wife's great grandfather. I think I have just about given up hope of getting mote information on either Thomas Clarke (1748-1788) or John Pattison (b? d 1784)both allegedly from Dunmanaway.

Posted: 4 Aug 2010 9:55PM GMT
Hello, David! It's always very exciting and interesting to find another distant cousin of the Pattison/Clarke families. I think that we have mutual ancestors. Send me your e-mail address, and I shall scan and e-mail you what I have. Sincerely, J. Sheehan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic