Search for content in message boards

John (Johannes) Dilley's father's surname not Dilley but Hottel?

John (Johannes) Dilley's father's surname not Dilley but Hottel?

Posted: 7 Feb 2008 7:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hottel, Dilley
I'm new to researching my genealogy and have come across a puzzle. I can trace my lineage to John Dilley (b. 13 Mar 1774, Shenandoah, VA). His wife was Elizabeth Ackland / Eckland (b. 2 Nov 1771, Abingdon, Virginia).

John Dilley's father, John (1746-1800), appears in this community as both "John Dilley," "Johannes Dilley" (which makes sense as the original German version of "John"), and "Johannes Hottel." John Johannes Dilley Hottel was married to Catherine Himpin (1747-1820). Can anyone out there explain the reason for the two different last names?
Thanks from the newbie!
Kim

Re: John (Johannes) Dilley's father's surname not Dilley but Hottel?

Posted: 7 Feb 2008 10:28PM GMT
Surnames: Dilly, Johnson, Wolfe, Weaver
Could you give us the reasons(documentations) that make you believe that this is one person and not 2 separate people? Louise

Posted: 8 Feb 2008 11:27AM GMT
Surnames: Acklin Dilley Hines Hinds
The Elizabeth Acklin who m. John Dilley, Jr., was not born in Abingdon in 1771. The 1771 Elizabeth was the daughter of Christopher Acklin, m. William Hines/Hinds and moved to TN.

The parentage of Elizabeth Acklin who m. John Dilley, Jr. is unknown.

Posted: 8 Feb 2008 3:52PM GMT
Thanks for clarifying that for me. With the two names so similar, it's easy to get confused.

Posted: 8 Feb 2008 4:02PM GMT
Surnames: Dilley, Hottel
Actually, I'm not looking at any documents. I used the "family tree" feature of ancestry.com to find others descended from Hannah Dilley (daughter of John Jr). When I looked at the parentage attributed to John Dilley (b. 1774), there are pages of people who list Johannes Hottel as his father.

The specific Johannes Hottel they are referring to was born in 1746 in Bucks PA, and died in 1800 in Burke, North Carolina. The only reasons I could come up with for Johannes and John having different last names were:

1) It was simply an error
2) Catherine Himpin was married twice -- once to Hottel, and once to Dilley
3) "Dilley" is some sort of unusual Americanization of "Hottel"
4) Johannes Hottel changed his name to John Dilley

I figured if anyone would know which possible explanation was true, it would be the people on this board.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions