Search for content in message boards

Who were my ancestors and where did they come from?

Who were my ancestors and where did they come from?

Michael Lee Miles (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2000 12:04AM GMT
Where did I come from?

Miles Family

E. Miles (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2000 8:53PM GMT
I am a Miles by marriage. I have been researching family records. The family(OURS)came from Wales originally. Came over with WM. Penn and aquired land in central PA from and through connections with him. They started the 1st Babtist church in America. Started the town of Milesburg, PA. Fought in the Civil War... there was a Gen. Miles that was related. You can check John and James Miles out from Wales. That is as much as I can help... If I have helped at all.

Miles Family (CORRECTION)

E. Miles (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2000 9:25PM GMT
I am a Miles by marriage. I have been researching family records. The family(OURS)came from Wales originally. Came over with WM. Penn and aquired land in central PA from and through connections with him. They started the 1st Babtist church in America. Started the town of Milesburg, PA. Fought in the Revol. War... there was a Col. Miles that was related. You can check John and James Miles out from Wales. That is as much as I can help... If I have helped at all.

Miles family

Kenneth A Miles (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2000 12:08PM GMT
You are part correct about the Miles family from Wales, Please contact me, I am a direct descendent of James Miles, the first to come over in 1682. kmiles@tez.net

My MILES Line

Posted: 8 Jun 2000 7:44PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2001 11:04PM GMT
I'm looking for the parents of Eli MILES. His information, some of mine and much from a professional researcher follows. I've been looking for his parents for 15 years. His son's name is John GILLINGHAM Miles. I think there's a clue on the GILLINGHAM, middle name. Could be the maiden name of Eli Miles' mother.
Any clues or help would be greatly appreciated.

My MILES Line:

Eli (Joshua?) MILES (My great-great grandfather)
Born:27 January, 1817 (Per Civil War enlistment papers)
Married: 12 April 1846 in Sibley? Ray, Missouri to Nancy LUELLEN
(Married to a Margaret FORREST previously)
Died: 4 November 1901 in Junction City, Geary, Kansas

U.S. Army, E. Company, 1st Dragoons, 1838-1841.
Civil War Service: Served in Company F., 15th Kansas Cavalry 1862-1865

Children:

Mary A. MILES b. (1847) Clay Co., MO
John Gillingham MILES b. 4 Feb 1849 in Jackson Co., MO (My great-grandfather)
Samuel Dennis MILES b. (1851) in Ray Co., MO
Sarah Amanda MILES b. 28 June 1853 in Ray Co., MO
Emma MILES b. 20 June 1858 in Indianola, Jackson, Kansas
Amor/Amos MILES b. 20 June 1858 in Indianola, Jackson, Kansas

Census records differ, but list his parents variously. One states his father born in New Jersey, another in Scotland. One census says his mother born in England, another says she was born in Pennsylvania.

Some stories states that Eli may descend from an Albert Rufus MILES, an Irish rebel who escaped from Ireland with the help of his wife's family which were said to be O'Malley's. This has some credibility in that Eli's son Samuel Dennis MILES named one of his sons Albert Rufus MILES.

The 1820 census of Chester County, PA shows only one head of household with a male child Eli's age, that being Samuel MILES. Samuel MILES does not appear on the 1830 census of Chester, so may have died or moved. In the 1840 Chester County Census, a Samuel MILES appears in the Pennsburg District. Next to him was the household of a Joshua MILES. This is important because Eli MILES' middle name is said to be Joshua and his son John GILLINGHAM MILES, also had a son he named Eli Joshua MILES.
Civil War records exist on this other Joshua MILES found in the 1840 Chester Co. Census. In that census, Joshua MILES has a woman over 50 living in the household which may have been his widowed mother. Over 50 would have put her birth before 1790. Her last name may have been GILLINGHAM, the middle name that Eli MILES gave his son John.

The Samuel MILES mentioned in the 1840 Chester Co., PA census was born 11/12/1806. Joshua was, according to the census and military records, born after 1/26/1816. Some feel that Eli MILES and Joshua MILES may have been twins.

In professional genealogical research I commissioned in the early 1990's, the following report on my MILES line was provided:

"Again, an in depth study of the information in your file concerning Eli and Joshua MILES and the Miles families of Chester County, PA took place prior to continuing with an attempt to determine the parentage of Eli MILES. After this analysis of the circumstances surrounding Eli's life and the proposed theories and traditions concerning his ancestry, it was decided to list the items which were known:

(1) Eli was born in 1817 somewhere in Chester County.
(2) According to Eli's affidavit, he left home at age sixteen and joined the Army
in 1838 (Company E., 1st Dragoons)
(3) Assuming that he was counted in the censuses of Chester County, which he probably was, Eli would have been enumerated in the 1820 census and the 1830 census.

Little else is known for certain about his parentage other than the traditions passed on to his children which may or may not be based on fact. Basing the direction of research on these known facts, it was decided to do a census analysis based on the 1820 and 1830 censuses for Chester County.

There were six possible families in the 1820 census of Chester County to which Eli could have belonged. These families each had a son under the age of ten, which is how Eli would have been enumerated in the census. To reiterate those families, there were as follows:

Samuel 100200-11100 Vincent

Eli had a son Samuel D. Miles born in Ray Co., MO where Eli was married in 1846.)

William 100010-30030 West Fallowfield
James 100030-20010 West Fallowfield
John 210110-20010 West Fallowfield
Frederick 220010-01010 Lower Oxford
Joseph 210001-12001 East Whiteland

Each of these families could be Eli's. Regarding the 'twin theory,' which has been proposed by members of your family, only three families qualify. It is most probable, however, that there is no basis for this theory, and Joshua MILES, also of Chester County, was just a near relative. With these six families in mind, all of the Miles families in the 1830 census were extracted.

A line-by-line search of the 1830 census for Chester County, PA revealed that no fewer than thirteen Miles families were enumerated. Again, attention was focused on those families that had a son of the right age. Since Eli (age about 13) would have been listed as 10-15 during this census, only three families qualified to have possibly been his family. These were given thus:

Joseph 0010100-2000100
Nathaniel 0010110-1110020
William 0111001-0212001

This census alone discounts the 'twin theory,' as there are no families with two sons age 10-15.

Taking into account all of the various possibilities of children living with parents, grandchildren living with grandparents, along with death and migration, the most likely candidate and logical choice for the parentage of Eli is William MILES.

Although the 1790, 1800, and 1810 censuses for Chester County were extracted, this research effort did not shed either new light or contradictory evidence regarding the probability of William Miles as the father of Eli. No indication of the parentage of William was found in these records either.

Most of the MILES families in this vicinity will probably descend through Thomas MILES of Wales. It should also be pointed out that James MILES, of Sudbury Township, and Nathaniel, of Charlestown Township, are both strong possibilities for being Eli's MILES grandfather."

Thanks for any help. Hope I connect with another "cousin."

Lou Miles

miles family

Miles (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2001 10:49PM GMT
looking for info on Miles family. My grandmother from Newark N.J. Maybe related to Gen Nelson A. Miles. She moved to Montana in late 1800's or early 1900.Don't know much about her family. There were at least one sister and one brother, maybe two.

miles

Diana Miles (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2001 4:25PM GMT
we have the same problem.The only Miles are Dr James Knox Miles he married Lela Cardwell form Vernon Tx.The Dr Miles was an Indian who took the Miles name so he could become a doctor,

Diana Miles
per page

Find a board about a specific topic