Search for content in message boards

Leonard Varneys

Leonard Varneys

Posted: 18 May 2006 2:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Have minor problem... I have two Leonard Varneys, one known and the other unknown. Known is Leonard, son of Levi Varney and Sarah Ann Collins in Pike KY. Born appx 1888.
Unknown is Leonard J. Varney who was born appx 1889 and married a Emma Hughes, born in Virginia to Charles M. Hughes and Sennah Harold. 1930 Census shows daughter Ethel b 1916, George Thomas b. 1922, Emma Joice b. 1926, and Jimmie, b. 1927. Who was this Leonard's father? Any ideas anyone. I have a positive link as Emma Varney's death certificate lists husband as L.J. Varney and the approximate dates of birth match up well.

Re: Leonard Varneys

Geneva Runyon (View posts)
Posted: 18 May 2006 10:45AM GMT
Surnames: Varney, McCoy, Staton, Runyon
My grandfather, Ken Varney, had two brothers Leonard and James. Their mother was Vicie/Vicy Varney who married Johnson McCoy and had a large family,but Johnson was not the father of the 3 Varney brothers. Vicie's parents were Madison Varney and Piety Staton. Hope this helps. Happy Hunting. Geneva

Posted: 28 Jun 2006 6:51PM GMT
Geneva,
The Leonard I'm looking for also had 2 brothers, James b. 1891 and Kenna b. 1893. Pretty sure we're talking about the same Leonard. Next question... any speculation regarding who fathered the three brothers. Since Vicey's maiden name was Varney but a lot of Varney's married other Varneys, might htey have been born out of wedlock or did Vicey marry a Varney?

Geneva Runyon (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jul 2006 12:19PM GMT
It sounds as if we have the same Leonard. Family members tell me that Vicy(Vicie, Vicey), my ggmother, had the 3 boys while unmarried. She later married Johnson McCoy and had many other children.
I've asked family members for info on the father of the boys, but no one wants to talk about it. I did have someone outside the family tell me that my gfather told her that his father was a Joshua West. Of course, I have no way of confirming this was Vicy's sister's husband but I've been told it was the same Joshua West who was married to Hulda Varney. I've been told, whoever was the father of my gfather (Kenny)was also the father of Leonard and James,his brothers. I hope this helps you. I would love to have more info if you run across something.

priscilla (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 2006 2:57AM GMT
Surnames: varney
just wanted to let u know i`m the granddaughter of
leonad or L. J. as he was called. the story about j west is the same story i`ve heard. do u have a copy of emma
hughes varney`s death certificate? pris

Posted: 9 Jul 2006 7:40AM GMT
I do have a copy of Emma's death certificate. As a matter of fact, that's what started this whole puzzle. Do you have any pics of either that you could e-mail me? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

priscilla (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 2006 12:34PM GMT
Surnames: varney
yes i have a picture of both leonard and emma when they were young and also picture of leonards mother
she was called ma mccoy will try to get u that today
what line are u related to my dad is george varney
pris

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 12:06PM GMT
My name is Robert, son of Alex Andrew Varney, b 1922-d2003. He was the son of Ira McGinnis Varney 1883 - 1944, who was the son of Nicholas Varney 1857-1940, who was the son of Andrew Varney 1819-1886, then Alexander and finally John. Thanks for your prompt reply! If you need anything from me, just ask. Can't guarantee I'll have what you're looking for but I'll fire up the ole computer and look!

Posted: 30 Jun 2009 1:38AM GMT
Surnames: Samuel Fletcher Varney
Robert you have a public
family tree with Samuel Fletcher Varney.
You have where he is born and where he died.
Do you know where any other of his family are located?
Or where his mother went after her 1st husband died?

Samuel Fletcher Varney.
Born In WV and Died in Bradford County (Starke) Florida.

If he is part of the family you are looking for please contact me
and I can help you with most of his brother and sisters but not all.

Patricia Thomas
Great Niece of Samuel Fletcher Varney

Posted: 30 Jun 2009 10:40PM GMT
Surnames: Varney
I have Leonard as one of nine children of Andrew J Varney and Renia(sp) Nickles. The only sibling that I have anything concrete on is Iona Bessie. All that I have of the other children are approximate years of birth from census records. I don't have any info regarding Rena or Renia's date of passing or subsequent marriages. This branch of my tree has given me more problems that just about any other. I have a date of birth for Andrew J Varney but lost him after the 1930 census. Any help will be greatly appreciated. You can email me direct at varneygenealogy@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions