Search for content in message boards

Cherokee Rolls

Cherokee Rolls

Terry Garrett (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2004 5:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hawkins, Blalock/Blaylock
I want to know how to find the roll number for my Great Grandmother who was Cherokee and is supposed to be listed on the Western Arkansas and Missouri Cherokee rolls. She is Martha Matilda Hawkins, Daughter of Samuel Hawkins and Anna Blalock.

Re: Cherokee Rolls

arbreina (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2004 3:46PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: waddy
hello would you happen to know if there is any relations to the waddy's that lived in arkansas who are cherokee also?

DeeJay (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2004 3:57PM GMT
I wonder if Waddy is another spelling of Watie. Part of that famous Cherokee family settled in Arkansas. Confederate General Stand Watie was the brother of Elias C. Boudinot, a Fayetteville and Little Rock lawyer of the mid-1800s, and kept his native name, Wa-tie. Both were the sons of Elias Boudinot who founded the Cherokee Phoenix, the newspaper in New Echota, GA, before the Trail of Tears. The year 1828 comes to mind. The father Elias B. was a full-blood who assumed the name of a French benefactor, and his wife was white. You might try that route and find that you descended from one of the most prominent Cherokee families. Good luck!

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 6:33AM GMT
Surnames: Watie, Boudinot, Reese, Gold, Minear, Fields, Foreman
I would like to make some corrections to your post.

Confederate General Stand WATIE (1806-1871) and Elias "Buck" BOUDINOT (1802-1839) were brothers, the sons of David Oo-Watie (1773-1845), later changed to Watie, and his wife Susannah REESE (B. 1782)

Elias Cornelias Boudinot (1834-1896)was the son of Elias Boudinot and his Connecticut born white wife, Harriett Ruggles GOLD (1805-1836). Elias Cornelius Boudinot married Clara Corinth Minear (b. 1860 Oregon) on 16 Apr 1885 in Washington, DC.

The above Elias Cornelius Boudinot should not be confused with his nephew, the other Elias Cornelius Boudinot (1854-1896) the son of William Penn Boudinot (son of Elias "Buck" and Harriett Ruggles Gold Boudinot) and his wife, Caroline Matilda Rogers FIELDS. The younger Elias born in 1854 was married to Susan Adelaide FOREMAN.

Helen Currie Davis
4th great granddaughter of Elias and Harriett Gold Boudinot
gertrude2@juno.com

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: Watie, Boudinot, Reese, gold, Minear, Fields, Forman
Thank you. I stand corrected. My papers are filed away, and I was trying to rely on memory. I should never do that. I do wonder though, if Waddy is another spelling of Watie? I have seen it spelled Wa-tie.

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 3:33AM GMT
This message was posted 5 years ago, but I am hoping you have gotten some information since then. My GR GR grandmother was one of the Anna Blalock and Samuel P Hawkins children. She was Caroline Elizabeth Hawkins. I found a long interview with her by the Dawes Commission. She applied for citizenship to the Choctaw Nation. She lived in Oklahoma and was a widow. They turned down her application because she had no documentation with her. After reading about the Blalocks, I am thinking maybe she was Cherokee. We are probably cousins, several times removed. In that interview, they talked down to her and it made me angry. I would like to prove that she really was Native American as she had been told by her mother, Anna. If you have any information, I would greatly appreciate it. I have hit a brick wall because I can not find out who her parents were. Thank you so much.
Regards,
Sandy Doyal Grubbs

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 4:24AM GMT
Surnames: Hawkins, Stroud, Taylor, Creamer, Garrett
Wow, my GG Grandmother was Martha Matilda Hawkins, Caroline's sister. Their mother was Anna (Blalock) Stroud, her parents were Hamilton Stroud and Mary Anna ? I'm not sure but I think she may have been married to a Blalock for a short time so that's why she is sometimes listed as Blalock. I have spent may hours searching out the Blalock side to no avail. Caroline and Matilda's Indian blood came from their father Samuel Peterson Hawkins who was full blood Cherokee I think their mother Anna was part Choctaw also. Our distant cousin Wanda Sanders from Allen OK, has her Indian card through that line but as yet she has not given me the roll numbers or birth certificates that we need to prove lineage. She has photos and lot's of info from that line but just hasn't taken the time to get any of it to me. I'll continue to ask her. I would like to get with you and share gedcom files if you are willing so we can fill in the gaps. I would love to see that interview also. Thanks so much for posting! Please contact me at my E-Mail tandsgarrett@cox.net Terry Garrett

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 5:54AM GMT

Posted: 29 Mar 2009 4:37AM GMT
Surnames: Blalock; Hawkins
Thank you so much for the links. I did find some additional information.
Regards,
Sandy

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 8:12PM GMT
I am searching my Garrett family tree - Charles D. Garrett Sr (b1892 in Saline Arkansas) m Elsie Belle Hodge (b1898) and family word of mouth disagrees on which one has native american ancestry, but all of the family seems to agree 1 of them did. I do not know their parents names - but do either of them appear on the registry? They eventually ended up in Little Rock.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic