Search for content in message boards

Five Nelsons at Fort Boonesboro KY in 1778 with Daniel Boone

Five Nelsons at Fort Boonesboro KY in 1778 with Daniel Boone

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 7:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Nov 2004 1:23PM GMT
Does anyone know more about the five Nelsons who are listed at Boonesboro during the Siege of the fort there in 1778? They were Edward Nelson, Margaret (his wife?), John, William & Moses Nelson. I'm trying to determine if they are connected to my Nelson line since I have other connections to persons also at Boonesboro at this time!

Re: Five Nelsons at Fort Boonesboro KY in 1778 with Daniel Boone

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 5:10AM GMT
Surnames: Nelson, Shelton
Cathy,
My name is Vicky and I have been researching the same Nelsons in Rowan Co.,N.C. These Nelsons must have followed Daniel Boone from Ky. to Rowan Co.next to Davidson Co. where Daniel Boone settled. There is a place called Boones Cave where Daniel was to have gone to hide from Indians.It is probably 30 mins. from my home now.I am trying to find a John Nelson in Rowan Co. 1850 who married a Julia Shelton and their son William C. Nelson born 1851 is my g.g.grandfather. I am trying to find out who John's parents and Julia's parents were and siblings.

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 6:07AM GMT
I believe my Nelsons were also in the Rowan County NC area, including my 4th-G-Grandmother Sarah Nelson, born 1808 NC (later married John Cox about 1828). However, I don't know who my Sarah's parents were... so if you find someone in your research that might fit as her parents, please let me know. I've not been able to find her on a census in NC, but I haven't seen them all.

By 1828, Sarah Nelson was in Arkansas with husband John Cox, and they had six children there in the 1830s: James (my line), Nelson, Thomas, Abram (or Abraham), Sarah J., and William Calvin Cox.

Several other lines in my other family branches also were in Rowan County & Orange County NC and surrounding vicinity along theYadkin River during the mid-1700s to early 1800s, including these surnames: Stokes, Freeman, Barham, Murphy, Pipes, Griffing, Swayze, Bolls, Gilliam, Robinson, Bryson, Wheat, Hart, Tate, Nelson, McLelland, Calloway, Howard, Frisby, etc. All of these families that were neighbors in NC eventually came to the same community in southwestern Arkansas by the 1840s and were neighbors there.

Some of my Nelsons that came from Orange County NC to Arkansas included David Nelson, who married Isabella Craig abt 1757 (d/o William Craig & Margaret Logan). Isabella was a noted leader in the Old Hawfields Church in Orange County NC and also in the New Hope Church at Hillsboro NC. David & Isabella Nelson had 4 children...

(1) John Nelson, born 1762; died 9 Jun 1822 Orange Co NC;
married in 1789 to Jennet (Jennie) Tate (born abt 1771 as d/o George Tate & Jennet Scoby). Descendants later migrated to southwest Arkansas & lived as a close neighbor to Sarah Nelson & John Cox in Ouachita / Hempstead County AR (although kinship has not been proven).

(2) Samuel Nelson, born about 1764; died after 1837; married Ketturah Tate (born about 1760; she was the sister of Jennet Tate and d/o George Tate & Jennet Scoby). Samuel Nelson is said to have migrated west to either Arkansas or Missouri.

(3) Margaret Nelson, born about 1763; married in Orange Co
NC on 16 May 1785 to James Tate (born about 1760; died 1838; s/o George Tate & Jennet Scoby).
(4) Lettie Nelson, born abt 1765; married Samuel Tate.

There are also lots of connections to Daniel Boone among all my lines too in NC, KY & MO and including marriages to his daughters, etc. More on that later. I'd be interested to know if you have additional info on any of these folks?

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 9:57PM GMT
:You mention Samuel Nelson--any more information on him other than just birth year of 17--? Could by my John's father.
Teri

Re: Samuel Nelson

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 11:26PM GMT
Samuel Nelson, born about 1764 (s/o David Nelson & Isabella Craig); died after 1837; married Ketturah Tate (born about 1760 as the sister of Jennet Tate and d/o George Tate & Jennet Scoby). Per Reverend D.I. Craig's 1899 journal (a relative of these Craig/Nelsons), Samuel Nelson is said to have migrated west to either Arkansas or Missouri.

Ketturah Tate's mother's will of 1786 mentions that Samuel & Ketturah Nelson had two daughters and a son named David. Other sources seem to show that Samuel had 7 children (as yet confirmed), probably with the remaining children born after the 1786 will: Betsy, David, Ibby, Peggy, Ginney/Jenney, George & Samuel.

This is all I have on Samuel Nelson.

Theresa Jones (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2004 7:37PM GMT
So there is also a son of Samuel's named Samuel? Or just a possiblilty? Just need to clear up this part. My John Martin Nelson was born in 1860 in Ohio or Illinois and am trying to find his father as a connetion back to him. Thanks again for Your help. Teri

Posted: 20 Sep 2004 2:17PM GMT
Surnames: Tate, Scoby, Nelson
Where did you find the will of Jennet Scoby the wife of George Tate? I have been looking for here name for some time. Could you send or post it? Thanks

Re: Wills of Jennet/Jinnet Scoby Tate and George Tate

Posted: 20 Sep 2004 5:15PM GMT
This will is found in the publication "Abstracts of Wills Recorded 1752 Through 1800 in Orange County, North Carolina in Will Books A, B and C, Plus 20 Pages in Book D" compiled by Ruth Herndon Shields. This abstract reads as follows:

"A-359 MEMORANDUM OF WILL. Recorded Feb 1786 ? [Proved] Not dated.

JINNET TATE. sons: James, George; daughters: Margaret, Elizabeth, Beturo, Polly, Agnes, Jinnet (a minor), Lettice (she gets a black mare 'I had of Andrew Mitchell').

'The sum betwixt Samuel Nelson and me I leave betwixt his own two daughters to be divided equally betwixt them and one to his son David the overplus I paid to John Mitchell above his wife's dower I leave to his daughter Jinnet.'

Bequests made to Andrew Mitchells oldest son, and to 'my daughter Polly'. Samuel Nelson is requested to take Jinnet and Margaret to raise.

Executors: son James Tate, Samuel Nelson. Witnesses: Thomas Mulhollan, Jas. Mebane, Edward Willson."

Also in this abstract book is the will of George Tate, husband to Jennet/Jinnet Scoby Tate, which reads as follows:

"A-144 Will of GEORGE TATE. Dated Feb 1774, proved May 1774.

sons: George Tate, James Tate.
wife: name not stated.
daughters: 'Kitturah / Mary, Elizabeth, Litia, Janet, Margaret'. He calls them 'my seven daughters' [so 2 names appear missing]. They all seem to be minors.

Sle Executrix: wife.
Witnesses: William Tate, Hugh Willson, James Smith."

Posted: 16 Apr 2005 4:00AM GMT
Surnames: Nelson
Is this Moses Nelson related to the other Nelsons at Boonesboro? I am looking for Moses Nelson, born Lancaster PN, enlisted from Rowan County, NC in the Revolutionary War, but served in Kentucky on the frontier and later settled in Kentucky. I think this might be him and wonder if he is related to these other Nelsons. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 16 Apr 2005 4:44AM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2005 4:56AM GMT
I'm afraid I don't know if all or some of these Nelsons are kin to each other or not. I do know that there were Nelsons kin to many of the others at the Fort, including Harts and Tates, but I haven't as yet been able to sort out the various Nelsons. I would not be surprised at all that the Nelsons were all tightly kin. I hope others reading these questions can help provide more detailed research on these folks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions