JOHN DARLING of Mass. and Maine
Investigation into the history of JohnÂ—sometimes recorded as John Dollen of Salem, Mass. and Monhegan Island, Maine, has been persistently made in recent years by many persons, particularly Charlotte H. Abbott of Andover, Mass., whose conclusions have been adopted in the following sketch.
John Darling was of the militia of Devonshire under Lieutenant Thomas Gardner of Pemaquid; John Dolling was a sergeant of Monhegan, 1674-8, under Thomas Gerrish, leader of the militia. Later he paid a rent to the Duke of York government, recorded at Salem, for privileges; but so early as 1672, probably, he was at a fishing station either on Monhegan or at Pemaquid. He was usually called a mariner and married Mary (Bishop) Barney, daughter of Richard and Dulcibella Bishop of Salem, after the death of her first husband, John Barney. In 1679 he was assisting Thomas Bishop (2), his brother-in-law, in the settlement of the Bishop estate. In 1681 Mary Bishop (Barney) Darling, often called Sister Dollen, had children baptized in Salem church, so they appear to have become of permanent residence there about that date, while John still held his rights on Monhegan. He seems to have purchased land in the neighborhood of Bristol, Maine, in 1677 Â– perhaps near Bound pond, on Muscongus river. When the family came to Salem he lived awhile in the town and then took a farm in the Danvers part of Danvenport's plantation.
John Darling appears frequently in the records of his time. In 1672 we find a petition of John Dollen of Monhegan. He was a justice of the peace in Pemaquid. "York Deeds" contain an allusion to lots held by John Dollen and John Palmer at Demaris Cove in a sale, 1686. In Salem is recorded his renewed lease of land on Monhegan the same year, used for planting "where he now dwelleth with a house, warehouse and barn, orchard, etc., for a yearly rent of a bushel of wheat. "The Maine Historical Recorder" gives a paper dated August 7, 1717, of Hannah Mander of Boston, widow of James, formerly of Boston, to her nephew Richard Welch, of a tract on Monhegan which formerly belonged to a first husband, Renold Kelly, "adjoining the land of her honored father, Mr. John Dollen." In the "Book of Eastern Claims" held in the archives room of the Boston state house is a record of the rights of John Dollen, sometime of Monhegan now resident in Salem on land once held by Thomas Webber, late of Kennebec, now resident of Charlestown on the Kennebec near Arrowstick island; secured to Dollen's heirs and refers to a date of 1677, another paper, 1715, refers to the Round Point parcel, sold by John Eldridge to John Dollen of Monhegan, fisherman, August, 1699.
John Dollen, alias Darling, died before 1713, when his son Thomas (2) brought in an inventory which however gave no clue to his estate. Before his death his wife, Mary Bishop, had died upon the Danvers farm, and he married second, in 1709, Bethia Meacham, widow of George Hacker, of Danvers, and she was still living in 1717.