Search for content in message boards

US Military Records- Marines- Date

US Military Records- Marines- Date

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 4:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
The image has a "Pay Entry Base" date. I just wish to clarify that I will use that date as the Military Date when keying. The keying instructions states that the military dates are not limited to, enlistment dates, service dates, dates of rank and retirement dates. So it's my assumption Pay Date is included too.

Also as to the names. I again assume I key "as seen" even if the name is not complete.

Here is a sample of the image.
Attachments:

Re: US Military Records- Marines- Date

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 4:57PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 30 Jan 2013 6:39PM GMT

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 5:15PM GMT
Thank you for confirming!

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 5:51PM GMT
Per Wiki instructions, your example would not be keyed. It is marked as a Cover Page.

Re: US Military Records- Marines- Date - now I'm confused

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 6:22PM GMT
Now I'm confused. I search through the wiki pages and thought this would be considered as a "Military Resister" as it has names and dates (at least payroll dates) and not a Cover Page.

As per wiki: Choose the "Military Register" form type when the image contains names to key. Some images will have place locations named after people. If an image only contains place locations named after people it should not be keyed and marked as "Cover page, Section header, etc."

Can you further clarify why it's a cover page?

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 6:45PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2013 6:48PM GMT
My apologies!!

arlatx is correct. This is a cover page because it is the "index to names". I have not come across an index yet and I did not see the forest for the trees. The index lists every name in the book with the page numbers. We are not keying the index, all of the names would be keyed on their separate pages by whoever downloaded that page.

See the first additional cover page example on the wiki.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience my earlier reply may have caused you. I removed the previous reply since it is not correct.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 7:04PM GMT
I guess I'm blurry-eyed and need to step away for a little while as I missed that this was an "Index".

Thanks to both of you for your input.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic