Search for content in message boards

Descendants of William Talton

Descendants of William Talton

Posted: 21 Feb 2009 1:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: TALTON
I have recently started researching my family tree and I am working on the Talton's from Johnston County. I know the William and Judith had a daughter named Zilpha. According to some distant kin, she had a daughter named Matilda, who had a son named James Dudley which is my grandfather. The problem is I can't really find any information on Zilpha or Matilda. Does anyone have any information? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Descendants of William Talton

Posted: 22 Feb 2009 1:00AM GMT

?
I am related to Zelphia , can you tell me how your related ?
Thanks
Gail

Posted: 22 Feb 2009 3:09PM GMT
If I am correct in that Zelpha had a daughter named Matilda, Matilda had a son named James Dudley Talton and when he married his 2nd wife, Mary Jane Howell, they are my great grandparents. Thank you for reading my post.
Paula

Posted: 22 Feb 2009 7:21PM GMT
Paula, I am related to Machlus Talton brother to your ancestor. Zelphia was given land in her grandfathers Will ,50 acers "William Talton, his father William Talton from Isle of Wight VA. his father is Roger Tarleton m. Margaret .Roger d. in 1721 I believe in Isle of Wight co. The court house there has his will , also records of Roger being a witness , owning land. If you have access to Isle of Wight written by Bodie this is all listed. Roger came to America in 1664 . Can you tell me which child of Dudley's you line is from ?
Gail

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 1:16AM GMT
Dudley and Mary Jane had a son named Joseph Thomas who married Nancy Pate and they had Paul Louis who was my father. Was Zelphia ever married? She did have a daughter named Matilda right? Thank you for any information.
Paula

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 3:07AM GMT
Thank you for the information. Zelphia was b. 1795 d. aft 1860 "listed on census ". Here is some info. on William Talton jr. her father . I know she went to court for payment for her son Machlus Talton. I don't think she was ever married.
Gail

WILLIAM TARLTON
JOHNSON COUNTY
PRIVATE
NORTH CAROLINA MILITIA
$80.00 ANNUAL ALLOWANCE
$240.00 AMOUNT RECEIVED
NOVEMBER 30, 1832 PENSION STARTED
AGE 79

He enlisted as private Nov. 4 1776 , served 20 months under Capt. William Ward., Leut. John Whitley. He first marched to Wilimington until Autumn . Then marched from there to Halfax, to New Bern and was quartered there for one - two months. From New Bern to Charleston SC stayed till March, then marched under cammand of Sapt. Coleman's to Philadelphia , passed through, Wilmington , Tarboro, Halifax NC, Petersburg, Richmond, Fredricksburg Va., Baltimore. Engaged in Battle of Brandwine and Battle of Germantown. Enlistment closed for one year May 4,1777 but stayed for 20 months. Served in fifth Reg. of NC line.

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 3:14AM GMT
Paula , I have in my file a herbert Talton is this correct son of Paul ?
Thanks Gail
so I guess this makes us 3rd cousins.. I live in Cincinnati ,but most of my family still lives in NC. Not too long ago we had a big Talton reunion. All the Talton's I have met so far have been related to the NC branch.. some did stay in va. but no lings that I have found. One person in NYC is from our line.
Gail

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 2:13PM GMT
Herbert is my brother and then there is Paul Louis Jr., Richard Allen and me - Paula Jo. They are alot older than me. Thanks so much for sharing your information. So was Matilda, Zelphia's daughter? It was said that Matilda never married either but took out a bastardy bond on Josiah Sullivant or something like that for James Dudley. All my brothers live in Pikeville and that is where I am from but right now I live in New Bern. Where was the reunion held?
Paula

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 3:08PM GMT
Paula, I bet your brothers know some of my family in Pikeville. My dad was a Sasser and I have kin who own farms out there . Larry Sasser taught school " boys coach I think".
I know there was a court record for Machlus talton by sullivan . Josiah Hinnant is what I have . Not married but not sure as I have not seen any bonds on her BUT I suppose not if her children are listed as Talton
The reunino was in Goldsboro , I usually go in Oct. to a Toler reunion. Can you send me some of your surnames as I am sure we are related other ways , I have been doing it for over 15 years. Were you all born in Wayne co. ? I think pikeville is in Wayne co.
Gail
ps if you want to write to me my address is gh529@one.net

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 3:08PM GMT
Paula, I bet your brothers know some of my family in Pikeville. My dad was a Sasser and I have kin who own farms out there . Larry Sasser taught school " boys coach I think".
I know there was a court record for Machlus talton by sullivan . Josiah Hinnant is what I have . Not married but not sure as I have not seen any bonds on her BUT I suppose not if her children are listed as Talton
The reunino was in Goldsboro , I usually go in Oct. to a Toler reunion. Can you send me some of your surnames as I am sure we are related other ways , I have been doing it for over 15 years. Were you all born in Wayne co. ? I think pikeville is in Wayne co.
Gail
ps if you want to write to me my address is gh529@one.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions