Search for content in message boards

Cox's in Maryland

Cox's in Maryland

Posted: 31 Jul 2002 6:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cox
Looking for any information on Cox's who are from Maryland.
Abraham Cox born 1746-1775 married Jemima Foster,father of Levi Cox born 1797 married Martha Hart and Mary Ann Smith,father of David Cox born 1818 married Rachel Hawkins after relocating to West Virginia with his father Levi.

Re: Cox's in Maryland

Posted: 1 Aug 2002 3:17PM GMT
Edited: 3 May 2003 2:54AM GMT
I recently visited the historic site of the Edward Cox log home in Bluff City, Tennessee, circa 1775. The marker says Edward was from Maryland. This 2-story home has been restored by the Methodists Assn. of TN because the first Methodist Conference in TN was held there. It's a beautifully restored landmark and Edward & wife Sallie are buried next to the house. I believe Edward is from the John Joshua & Richard Cox family of Maryland (without looking up my official papers) and he had a brother William who later owned a gristmill on the Holston River in Jefferson Co. TN. Both of these men, plus 3 or 4 other Coxes were active in the early politics of TN & were buddies with Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, John Sevier, etc. Seems like I read somewhere these Coxes originated in Cecil County MD. I've been trying to tie my own John Cox b: 1787 VA to this family too because family tradition says that the Jefferson County TN William Cox is kin to him. Do you know of a John in this era?

Penny (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2002 1:56AM GMT
Thank you so much for the information. I will look into it and see if I have a connection to this tree. No I do not have a John in this time period, sorry. Wish I could help you more. I will keep your address and if I find any information I will contact you. I have another family member in Ohio working on this tree too.

Posted: 3 Aug 2002 9:17PM GMT
Also looking for some Cox's from Maryland. Does an Ezra Cox born ca. 1862 make his way into that tree at all? His family would have headed West shortly after and eventually wind up in Illinois by 1880. Any information would be helpful.

Michael

Penny (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2002 11:50PM GMT
Have not made that connection yet but still looking.

Posted: 6 Aug 2002 3:09PM GMT
Edited: 26 Sep 2002 1:31PM GMT
Hi, I'm also looking for cox's from md. Unfortunately, my information is VERY limited. I am Julie Cox b. 3-31-1974. I have to start my search with my father and Uncle. They are James Edward and Wayne Cox. James is my dad, born April, I think the year was 1954 or 1953. Married Cathy Ann Byrd May 1973, I think it was the 15th. Devorced in 1975. His parents died before they met and he lived with and Aunt and Uncle. J and C met in Bathesda, MD. Wayne lived in Kensington I think I have 2 listings up. One from march, "Searching for James Edward Cox" and another "James Edward Cox and Cathy Ann Byrd..." please take a look, there is more info. there.
Thanks
Julie

Posted: 6 Aug 2002 3:18PM GMT
I am not looking to force a relationship, I want to know my geneology. Just thought I'd add this, so that if you kknow him, you don't think I'm looking to invade anyone's life.

Penny (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2002 6:02PM GMT
message unclear. was it me you were trying to contact.

Penny (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2002 6:32PM GMT
I have a James but he was born 8-1-1854 in Virginia. His father was David Cox born 1818 in MD. If you have this connection I would be glad to help.

Posted: 7 Aug 2002 7:24PM GMT
Hi Penny, I put the message out to anyone who thought it might help. The only connection I have so far is me to James. I'm just starting out, I don't expect to get anywhere, because the last time I saw James (I'm told) was in 1977. When I was 3. I have no information except what is in those two messages I mentioned earlier. The most info is in the message from June. "James Edward Cox and Cathy Ann (Byrd) Cox @1974 in Bathesda". I'm sorry my messages are scattered, I'm sick right now.
Thanks
Julie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions