Search for content in message boards

need info on the Steuben Sanitarium, Hornell, NY @ 1913

need info on the Steuben Sanitarium, Hornell, NY @ 1913

Posted: 4 Sep 2002 3:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 May 2005 6:11AM GMT
I had a relative that may have been at the Steuben Sanitarium in Hornell, NY @1910-1915. What type of facility was it and what type of illness did they treat? Thank you for any help you can give. Kathleen

Re: need info on the Steuben Sanitarium, Hornell, NY @ 1913

Annette Campbell (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2002 12:34PM GMT
The name Sanitarium usually refers to the disease Tuberculosis, a lung infection and extremely contagious.

Posted: 4 Sep 2002 2:35PM GMT
Annette,
Many thanks for clarifying that. I didn't think in terms of TB. Kathleen

Jerry Howe (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2002 1:18PM GMT
Not exactly sure of what the sanitarium treated.
I do know that Dr. James Walker (my grandmother's uncle) owned the place and that Dr. Roswell Parks worked there for him. Dr. Parks moved to Buffalo and established the cancer hospital there. I think the Hornell Evening Tribune online edition may have an article about the hospital.
Regards, Jerry

Posted: 17 Nov 2002 2:00AM GMT
Jerry,
Thanks so much for your reply. My GGG Grandfather was in the sanitarium for an extended period, and died the following year at home, so I'm wondering if it was TB. He spent some time in Alden, at the Black Springs, so it could have been rheumatoid arthritis, or something similar. I was wondering if they had records of the patients who stayed there. Would you know? Thanks, Kathleen

mary tindall (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2002 1:52AM GMT
I have a pamphlet which talks about the Sanitarium. It states that it was established in 1890 and patients were treated for cancer,tuberculosis, opium habit and later alcoholism.People also came for rest, for surgery, and some came to reside it goes on to say. It closed in the early 1920's. This pamphlet came with a throw which has pictures of various sites around Hornell in the late 1800's.

Posted: 25 Nov 2002 2:22AM GMT
Mary,
Thank you so much for replying. I am thinking that my GG Grandfather had TB, because he was there for an extended stay, and then died later at home in Perry, NY in 1915. Was this throw and pamphlet from the early 1900's? Thanks again for your help. Kathleen

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 2:18AM GMT
Surnames: peters
my grand father and great grand father worked there in the boiler room about 1900=1910
g grandfather got yellow feaver in the panama canal and was a patient there. he died in hoboken.are there any patients records to document this mouth to mouth information????

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 2:43AM GMT
Marion,

Thanks for responding. I have no patient records but my great grandfather had tuberculosis and apparently was there to recover, which he did not. He died of TB in 1915. I have a postcard of the Sanitorium. How would I go about getting his patient records-where would they have gone? Many thanks again.

Kathleen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions