Leinenweber/Schmall

Leinenweber/Schmal families

Bernd Minninger (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Leinenweber, Schmal
The Leinenweber family lived in Greimerath and the Schmal
family in Bergen. Both towns are about 20 miles south of
Trier, Rheinland-Pfalz (Rhineland-Palatinate), Germany.

Leinenweber/Schmall

Terry Redman (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LEINENWEBER, SCHMALL
I am a newbie researching a branch of my ancestors that emigrated from the Trier region in the late 1800's.
I am trying to understand naming practices and location references, as well as find links to documented ancestors.

My Gr. Grandfather, Jacob LEINENWEBER, was born in Sherrill, Iowa, in 1887.

His father was named Peter Leinenweber and he emigrated with his wife, Catherine SCHMALL (I believe after they were married - but have no documentation to indicate marriage or immigration dates.)

Both Peter and Catherine were listed (in family records) as having come from Treier Saar, Germany. Could this be anything other than Trier? If one comes from Trier, can that mean a large surrounding region, or does it usually indicate the city itself?

I would be grateful for any information on the surnames LEINENWEBER and SCHMALL, their histories and the towns they would have been in in the 1800's (and before).

I should mention that as far as I know, the families were Roman Catholic.

Thank you in advance for any information you can share

Leinenweber

Sue Leinenweber (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Leinenweber, Minninger
My husband's family, Leinenweber, came to Indiana from Britten, Greimerath, and Wasserliesch Germany. I just looked through my list of names and found Minninger among them. I will further research and let you know the connection. We plan to visit these towns this Spring. We have the names of the churches in Britten and Greimerath that the families were connected to. We live in Oberaichen, just outside of Stuttgart.

Schmal

Bernd Minninger (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Schmal
Sorry, I have no info on a Johann Georg Schmal.

Bernd

Schmal

Renier Smal (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Schmal, Smal, Pruis, Els
This is a long shot but is it at all possible that you have information on Johann Georg Schmal who emmigrated to South Africa in 1735. Some sources give it as Halle Germany but I could as yet not confirm that.
Posted: 14 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2002 8:26AM GMT
Surnames: Schmal, Smal, Smale
Johan(n) George Schmal (Smal)
Immegrated from Halle Germany in 1735 as soldier and later
a teacher in Stellenbosh.
Married to Johanna van der Schelde on 29th July 1740.
Six children was born in this marriage. He died in 1756 in Stellenbosh.
Information from: "Die Groot Afrikaanse Familienaamboek"

Re: Leinenweber/Schmal families

Susan Leinenweber (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 2001 1:01PM GMT
We recently (for the second time) visited Greimerath. The first trip we met a distant cousin of my husband's named Schwickerath. This trip we first went to Schillingen and met a researcher who has a lot of Leinenweber information. But the best part of the trip was meeting a Leineweber (spelling changed some time ago)relative. He is the Burgermeister of Greimerath and has written a book on the history of Greimerath and another on the history of the church, Sankt Nikolaus, in Greimerath along with Gerhard Martini. We will gladly share what information we have.

Lyndi (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2005 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Stephens/Schuh
Just was looking for the Trier, Germany region on this message board and saw your reply to another query. I am not sure if this is the correct way to find answers but I will try it..

I am looking for a Mathias (or Matthew) Stephens born around 1800 married to Eve Schuh. Their first child, John Stephens was born 25 Feb. 1827 in Trier, Prussia, Germany. This is all the information I have. It looks like Trier is a bigger region and they may have been close to it and just used that as the town name? I would like to be able to find records of this family if you can help.

Thanks!

Posted: 4 Nov 2005 3:16AM GMT
Trier is not considered just a region. Trier is the oldest city in Germany...founded in 15 B.C. My great grandfather is from there...and I am in the process of gathering information on him (hopefully).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions