Search for content in message boards

How do I upload pre-recorded audio files to my Member Tree?

How do I upload pre-recorded audio files to my Member Tree?

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 12:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
I see the option to record by phone or computer but see no way to upload audio interviews I already have.

Is this allowed, and if not- why not?

Re: How do I upload pre-recorded audio files to my Member Tree?

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 3:13AM GMT
Hi,

You cannot directly upload audio files as such, but I have managed to work around this. Here are steps to get audio files on tree using Windows XP:-

1. Disconnect any webcam you have attached (so webcam microphone doesn't conflict).

2. Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio tab, Volume button (under Recording section), Options, Properties, tick all available devices, OK, select one of the following Mono Out, Line Out or Wave Out (names you have may not match or if unlucky you may have no suitable devices). Adjust volume slider for selected item to about 75% - may need further adjustment for best result.

3. Open audio file to be recorded and pause it.

4. Ancestry.com - press Record audio etc till recording starts. Note: Do not use PC for anything else while recording for best result. Broadband upload speed may affect quality.

5. Play audio file you paused. Note recording max time is 12 minutes.

6. Stop recording when finished. Save. Hopefully you now have good recording on tree.

I gather Ancestry.com reduces audio recordings to a low bitrate to reduce file size. By using a lower bitrate version of your audio file you may get a better result although that process is a bit technical.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Liam

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 4:02AM GMT
Thanks so much for this!

Now I can edit my audio files before they go on my tree so I don't sound like a tonguetied mushmouth. (GRIN)

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 5:50PM GMT
Let's suggest a direct audio/video upload to ancestry, maybe if enough users suggest it, it will get taken into consideration.

http://community.ancestry.com/feedback.aspx

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 8:37PM GMT
I had success with an old audio from 1966 by simply playing it on my laptop and hitting the record button on Ancestry. Quality came out just fine, drawback is that you are limited to 12 minute segments - mine ended up being 8 parts.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 5:29AM GMT
The servers are already bogged down with people uploading thousands of fake coats of arms and photos that have absolutely nothing to do with the person they're attached to. How much slower will the site get if they add the ability to upload pre-recorded audio and video. We'll get people uploading some random song to everyone in their tree or a Gangham Style video to everyone in their direct line.

If you don't believe me just look at these examples:
http://buwt.blogspot.com/2013/01/model-of-idiocracy.html

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 7:27PM GMT
I don't think that will be a problem. I have reel-to-reel recordings my family made in the 1950s and 1960s and hope to upload snippets of voices to go with the photos and other information. It's wonderful to have these voices from the past available for future generations. I'm sure that's what most users have in mind for this function.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 7:32AM GMT
Sorry, DLF, but I think Loretta probably is much closer to the mark on this one - I had never considered the possibility of a gazillion sappy songs, etc., but I think she's right.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 9:46PM GMT
Edited: 2 Nov 2013 9:48PM GMT
Except, McC, you're starting from an unproven and unlikely premise, i.e.: "The servers are already bogged down with people uploading thousands of fake coats of arms and photos that have absolutely nothing to do with the person they're attached to."

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 4:41PM GMT
Come to think of it, sappy songs might be OK too. You need to take a longer-term view and think how all this will strike future generations, not us. Maybe ancestry.com could assign a limit, to save space. But I happen to know that my Irish grandfather's favorite song was "The Yellow Rose of Texas." If I uploaded that to his profile, however sappy it sounds to us now, 50 or 100 years from now it might be fascinating. I would love to be able to hear somebody's favorite song from the 1600s, wouldn't you? It would illuminate something about that person.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions