Search for content in message boards

Stuck in the Roman Empire

Stuck in the Roman Empire

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 12:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been working on my husband's father's side of the family geneology and I have hit a brick wall! I am stuck with the 58th great grandfather, who was a Roman Consul and was born in the year 200.
This is what I have about him on my tree.
Afranius Hannibalianus .
Your 58th great grandfather
Birth ABT 200 in Tralles
Death in Rome, Roma, Lazio, Italy

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find his father's name? I have looked everywhere and can't find it. I have used ancestry.com, geni.com and also even googled his name. Please help!!!!

Re: Stuck in the Roman Empire

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 2:41AM GMT
There doesn't seem to be a way of gently advising a new user (3 Jan 2013) of their folly.

58 generations in 6 weeks!

Copying unsourced, undocumented junk from internet trees is not "researching genealogy".

You don't have a brick wall, what you have is lack of basic skills to understand the process of researching genealogy. Head on over to the Learning Center and sit through First and Next steps. Then trash your work and start over.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 2:50AM GMT
I have actually been at this for about a year, but just got a membership recently when I had run into some road blocks, so I am not new to this. Just needed to be able to see some things that I couldn't get answers about without membership.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 5:39AM GMT
Please provide sources, citations, and evidence for these claims so we can verify- otherwise you have nothing but junkology.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 7:46AM GMT
Copying trees from people who copied trees from people who copied trees from people who copied trees from people who just made stuff up is not genealogy. You've created a nice little fantasy tree. If you want to continue with that you can just pick a person, any person, in someone else's fantasy tree and keep going back to Adam & Eve. If, however, you'd like to honor and respect ancestors by finding the real ones you'll start over, ignore the trees, and focus on finding records.

-Loretta
Barking Up the Wrong Tree Blog

Re: Stuck in non-fruit-bearing trees

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 11:55AM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2013 12:00PM GMT
If by "I have looked everywhere and can't find it," you mean
"I have used ancestry.com, geni.com and also even googled his name," you actually have looked practically nowhere but in junk trees.

Start by reading Gibbons' Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and absorb it all (the Cliffs Notes version simply will not do). Study Greek and Latin so you can understand his quotations. Study all writings by Herodotus. Study all documents retrieved by the Crusaders from Toledo.

Next go to England and check about 300 archaeological and historical repositories for fragmentary records of the Roman Legion and their commanders who occupied England.

Next do the same in France and Germany and Romania and Bulgaria.

After about 10 years you might begin to get an overall picture.

Next go to Italy. Work 5 years to get permission to explore the archives in the Vatican, since you won't yet have any formal academic credentials as a scholar in this field. Work another 2 years to figure out what archives there may be in public-access and private libraries elsewhere in Italy. Work a few years to get permission to utilize private archives. Work around 10 years exploring material in the archives you've obtained permission to get a look at.

Oh, and learn how to speak French and German fluently, and learn how to read and translate old Latin (allow around 8 years for these pesky details). Internet translation programs will not do the job for you.

So by around the year 2055 you can say you have looked almost everywhere.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 11:56AM GMT
I have not been copying from others I have had several people digging for these records thank you. I thought this was somewhere a person could get help but I guess not. We have worked hard to get us where we are.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 3:16PM GMT
You may not have liked what you were told but they were trying to be helpful. It is simply not possible, even with several people working, to gather to proper documentary evidence to take a genealogy back 58 generations in a year. Written records simply are extremely scarce prior to the early 1500's and the few records that exist, only in archives, museums, libraries, are in old Latin.
The sources you said you looked in are the most basic of genealogy research and hold a fraction of the records you would need to even get back to 1700. So forgive those highly experienced genealogists who question your sources for the first 58 generations.
Take another look at your tree. I will guarantee you that you will find at least 1 child born before his parents, at least 1 mother giving birth at 100+ years of age or less than 10 years old.
Excitement over easily obtained information has happened to all of us. That low-hanging fruit is tempting and its fascinating to think we could connect to someone from the year 200. However its a fantasy and in the long run will be better served by starting over and doing with proper sourcing and citations. As someone above mentioned visit the learning center. You will find yourself far prouder of the work you put into a properly sourced tree you put together yourself than you are of this tree made by connecting other family trees.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 3:44PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2013 6:48PM GMT
Please share your secrets. I've been working for a year and a half and can only get back to the mid-1800's on most lines and into the 1700's for one. I would just love to know how you are getting copies of official European birth, death, and marriage records. Especially given that Ancestry.com doesn't have strong European records, or even American records back more than a couple hundred years.

Because I know that a careful researcher such as yourself would never consider a statement of a vital fact as a "record." You would dig deep for an official account in a source created at the time the fact occurred, such as a church's christening or marriage records book, gravestones, land grant deeds, census records, etc. And you would of course insist on a photo or scan of the original document, not a summary by someone else.

So do share, we're all eager to learn how you have accomplished something no one else has.

Cyndi

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 5:31PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2013 5:35PM GMT
Can you show us a record from the year 1000 or earlier? I've never seen a record that old.

Edited to add: The blog link below is from September. Scary how often this comes up.

-Loretta
Barking Up the Wrong Tree Blog
http://buwt.blogspot.com/2012/09/its-online-so-it-must-be-tr...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions