Search for content in message boards

Sabalauskas/Petraitis

Sabalauskas/Petraitis

Posted: 7 Dec 2011 7:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sabalauskas,Petraitis
My name is Greg Connolly. My Grandmother was Anna Sabal (Sabaliauskas) (1906-2000) Her father George Sabal (1876-1947) came here in 1898 from Lithuania I think Vilnius and married Antanina Petraitis. Antanina had a brother Antanas that moved to NY as well. I have never know if George (Jurgis) had any siblings and if they came to America. I know his fathers name was Josef Sabalauskas and was born about 1850 and his mothers name was Frances Lelis and she was born about the same time. Any help would be appreciated. Best, Greg Connolly

Re: Sabalauskas/Petraitis

Posted: 8 Dec 2011 9:48AM GMT
The surname today is spelled Sabaliauskas, though at an earlier time, before the language was standardardized after WWI, it might well have been spelled without the "i". As it is, in today's online phone book, it is only listed as Sabaliauskas. There are over 450 listings for it versus none for the spelling without the "i". These listings include the endings for married women Sabaliauskiene and for unmarried daughter of men with this surname, Sabaliauskaite.

Anna in LIthuanian is Ona, George is Jurgis, Joseph is Juozapas or Juozas, Frances is Prancis^ka. The unmarried daughter of Jurgis Sabaliauskas would be Ona Sabaliauskaite. The unmarried daughter of a man named Petraitis would be Petraityte. If Frances Lelis was a maiden name, it would be Prancis^ka Lelyte.

Prior to 1900 the vast majority of ethnic Lithuanians did not live in cities or towns but rather villages and small farming settlements. However, these villages were located in provinces, like states, that were named for the largest city within their boundaries. The lands where most ethnic Lithuanians lived were divided into 3 such provinces named Kaunas, Vilnius and Suwalkija. When asked where they were from, they often said the name of the province rather than the tiny settlement they were from. So since the three provinces covered all of present day LIthuania, to speak of being from the Vilnius province would only place their village in the south and east part of Lithuania or northern Belarus. Here is a map showing the boundaries of these provinces, which, being Russian, were called gubernias, along with the present day boundaries of Lithuaia:
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Lithuania/images/Lithuani...

John Peters

Re: Sabalauskas/Petraitis

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 8:53PM GMT
My gggrandmother was a Petraitis. I cant find any info on them. I think for the most part they lived in Pa.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic